1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of dress

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Walls, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

There have been many threads on this board pertaining to clothing, I would like some historical information pertaining to this subject as it relates to the modern day Baptists.

1. All through the Bible it mentions robes, at what point did man take off the robe and put on pants? Where/what people orginated this and when did the Baptist follow?

2. At what point in History did women start to wear pants? Where/who orignated this and when did the Baptist follow?

If any one has answers to these questions, I think it would clear up alot of debate on this board. This thread is not intended to discuss whether a certain dress is appropriate, but to establish historical facts. Could we please keep it that way?!

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In answer to your questions:
    1. In the West, what evolved into pants or trousers began to be worn in the late 13th century (at least in England).
    2. If I understand the tenor of this question, late 19th century with the introduction of the Bloomer. Though, women had been known to wear men's clothing long before Amelia Bloomer came on the scene. Bloomers were the first trouser-like garment especially designed for women. The next stop is in the 1930's, though mostly restricted to the younger members of the upper crust and their imitators. Hollywood at this point started to play a role in setting trends in fashion. The trousers of Katherine Hepburn, Marlene Detrich, et al come to mind. World War 2 was another watershed in fashion. For good and sufficient reasons, women went to work in factories and other then normally male endeavors. As such, they got used the "freedom" of trousers. Combine the two trends I mention, add others and here we are in 2003.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

When doing a lot of studying on this subject I realized that the breeches defination from the bible match the article of clothing women wore in old days under their clothing, bloomers, so way back they women were wearing them(what some call mens clothing). Isn't the todays under garments an evolution of those bloomers? And if they were what the bible calls men's clothing, where does that leave women and undergarments? Women in the bile did not wear anything under their clothing.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Pantaloons were worn under long dresses for modesty too. I had them for under some of my beautiful Sunday dresses Papaw Ward used to buy me. My petticoats held my skirt almost straight out. But I was probably 4 or so at the time. [​IMG]

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll keep this short so I won't be be accused of being risque. No, today's ladies undergarments are not descended from the bloomer, though they currently do share the word. As for pre-1900 lady's undergarments, I suggest a goggle search on under drawers. You may be surprised by what you find. And at that point, I'll leave well enough alone considering I don't know my audience.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

What I found in picture showed several styles of 'underdrawers'.
    Also=
    underdrawers

SYLLABICATION: un·der·draw·ers
    PRONUNCIATION: ndr-drôrz
    PLURAL NOUN: Undershorts; underpants.
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/2/U0050200.html

They served the same purpose of underware, worn under the clothing to cover the same certain areas of the body. Which is exactly what todays underware do. The pictures showed them to look like pants, if women are not to wear pants,a dn the defination above says they are underware, ,,, then I wonder if some people understand what they are saying women are not to wear.

7. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

katie Bond...007
    I guess if you wanted to be Biblical you could wear pants as long as they were under your other clothing. They did not wear them out in the open according to what you stated.

Now I will be in trouble! :D

Richard [​IMG]

8. Walls

Walls New Member

I do not want this thread closed because of personal issues, but am truly searching for historical answers. Once again, I will reiterate the intent of this thread is to establish historical events and reasons for dress. IT IS NOT TO DETERMINE WHAT A PERSON SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT WEAR!

Thank you for your cooperation. ;)

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess if you wanted to be Biblical you could wear pants as long as they were under your other clothing. They did not wear them out in the open according to what you stated.

Now I will be in trouble! :D

Richard [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Have you ever looked at this article of clothing in the bible? In the bible they are called breeches, and were only for priests, they were a part of the priestly attaire that was wore when serving God in the tabernacle,a dn the purpose they were to serve according to scripture was to cover their nakeness.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Walls, I've been searching for web site about clothing in history and would be thankful if anyone finds them(reliable, not some christians trying to prove dreses) then I would like to have those sites also.

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a quick start, I'd go to Google's directory service, select clothing under the shooping category and follow what you find there. Start with sellers of Medieval/Renaissance clothing and work your way up to Victorian/Edwardian sellers.
    Your local library should have books on historic costumes.

12. Walls

Walls New Member

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Some interesting sites, but I really want a history site not costumes.

14. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

* In Asia both women and men have always worn pants for warmth, comfort, and convenience. In Rome and Greece women and men wore tunics.
    * In the fourth century, women in the Western world wore pants, which they adapted from the Persians. At that time, pants were considered unmanly.
    * By the Middle Ages in Europe women were wearing dresses and men were wearing breeches.
    * After the French Revolution, men took off their high heels, silk stockings, and wigs and began wearing trousers.
    * In the nineteenth century women put on trousers to ride horses, but they hid them by wearing full skirts on top.
    * All trousers were pull-ons until the nineteenth century, when front closures using buttons were introduced.
    * Jeans were the first trousers to put women and men on equal terms.
    * Until 1970 it was not fashionable and sometimes against the law to wear pants in offices, classrooms, and restaurants in the U.S.
    **Bradford History Timeline, Pants/trousers/breeches

1851 – Amelia Jenks Bloomer introduces her bloomer trousers for women.
    *** Woman's History Timeline, Pants/ trousers

I'm sorry, I looked and looked but couldn't find out when Baptist woman started wearing pants.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problably about the same time everyone else did. Call it the mid 50s for casual wear. Though on the whole Baptists do tend to be more conservative (at least, in that time period) in their dress, so there may have been an initial 5-7 year lag behind the leading fashion edge.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Children wore shorts in the 1950's in the south. I know that for a fact. I never wore pants to school or church. Even in college, I had to wear a dress except outside classes. We wore frilly dresses, panties with lace on the back, socks with lace, patent leather shoes, hats with long ribbons..... to church until I was 8- 9. I had pantaloons that I wore under some of my dresses and petticoats that were covered in lace and ribbons. One petticoat had an inner tube and held my dresses straight out. I remember getting a leak in it one Sunday.

Diane

17. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

[​IMG] leak....oh the horror. You must have been mortified. :eek:

Hey, when I went to grammer school, public mind you...girls were not allowed to wear pants or shorts. Dresses only. And that was in the late 60's and early 70's. ;)

Did you see where in my post it says that pants were considered unmanly? Can you imagine?

I wonder when Baptists started wearing pants....male or female. I wonder if it was very different than when the rest of the world started wearing them. Too bad the information is so hard to find.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

LOL NO Laurenda, I just keep blowing it back up! I got spanked when I got home because I was sitting way up front and my mother saw me!

You might look at the 'Dick Van Dyke' show. Laura Petrie was the first to wear legging type pants on t.v. Lucy wore slacks to clean house. Mary Tyler Moore was the first on t.v. person to use birth control. I remember because we were so shocked!

Diane

19. Walls

Walls New Member

Thanks Wisdom, that was interesting to know. When you said middle eastern's wore pants, it made me think of I dream of Jeannie.

I have come across another site that is costume in nature but has the history for each era...
    http://www.costumes.org/pages/costhistpage.htm

I haven't yet looked at the history of all but did on the Industrial Revolution and the WW 1&2.

And one I found on bloomers...
    http://www.nps.gov/wori/esm.htm

20. Elnora

Elnora New Member

I am sorry to get off the subject but when I read your story it reminded me when we were children the school dress code was dresses for girls. I had to wear this terrible itchy petticoat. Looked cute I guess. Well on the way to school I would duck into an alley take it off and stuff it behind a garage. After school I would go back and get it, put it on, head home and no one was the wiser. [​IMG]