1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of KJV

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Here is some interesting information regarding the KJV from"The Journey from Texts to Translations. The Origin and Development of the Bible by Paul D. Wegner"

Note to BBB: Using the fair copyright laws of the United States of America USPTO, I am able to quote small portions of the text for review:

John Wesley in 1768 revised the Authorized Version with some 12,000 changes (twelve-thousand) entitling it The New Testament with Notes for Plain Unlettered Men who know only their Mother Tongue. In 1762 the Cambridge Bible of the Authorized Version, edited by Dr. Thomas Paris, was diligently corrected, spellings were modernized, and 360 marginal notes were introduced; it became the standard edition.

In 1769 Dr. Benjamin Blayney, Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford, once again revised the Authorized Version and introduced many modifications dealing with weights, measures, and coins. E.J. Goodspeed estimated that this version differed in at least seventy-five thousand (75,000) places from the Authorized Version of 1611, and it became known as Oxford standard edition with which we are familiar with today.

Paraphrased in my own words to make it short enough to print:

Church people, especially protestants had a great problem with the AV because it ignored many, many majority texts and used only six manuscripts (with the exception of Revelation).

The Bible was translated using in this order:

The Geneva Bible
    The Bishop's Bible
    6 manuscripts
    The Vulgate

--End of my paraphrase

Which King James Version is Correct?

It is hard to determine a standardized text since even the first two editions from 1611 were significantly different.

There have been many changes "intentional" and some "not-intentional" shooting down the theory of inspired translation:

Examples of unintentional changes:

1. One of the editions of the 1611 Version of the AV read"then cometh Judas" instead of "then cometh Jesus" (Matt 26:36)

2. Another repeated twenty words (Exodus 14:10)

3. Later printing errors of the AV resulted in some unusual readings such as:

a) "And Jacob sod pottage" (Gen. 25:29)
    b) "and mount Sinai was although on a smoke" (Exod.19:18)
    c) "And Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar" (1 Chron. 26:18)
    d) "Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing" (Ps. 5:6)
    e) "For who can eat, or who else can hasten hereunto, more than I?" (Eccles. 2:25)
    f) "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance" (Matt. 3:8).
    g) "Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner" (Matt. 3:12)
    :eek:

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

The Authorized Version was not without its detractors, however; among the most fervent were the pilgrims who brought the Geneva Bible to the New World. The Authorized Version was rejected for its emphasis on the divine right of kings. Another particuarly virulant detractor was Dr. Hugh Broughton, a distingiuished scholar who had not been asked to serve on the translation committee, most likey because his violent temper interfered with his avility to work well with others.

Another Comment from the same source written by Luther Weigle:

For eighty years after its publication in 1611, the King James version endured bitter attacks. It was denounced as theologically unsound and ecclesiastically biased, as truckling to the king and unduly deferring to his belief in "witchcraft", as untrue to the Hebrew test and relying too much on the Septuagint. The personal integrity of the translators was impugned. Among other things, they were accused of "blasphemy," "most damnable corruptions," "intolerable deceit," and "vile imposture," the critic who used these epithets being careful to say that they were not "the dictates of passion, but the just restment of a zealous mind."

Does THIS sound familiar? ;)

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Never forget that Goodspeed had an ulterior motive for his statement. He published his own bible in the 1930s I believe and wanted it to replace the KJV. The number "75,000" is utterly rediculous. Changing spelling is not a change of substance. There are only slightly over 100 changes of substance from the edition of 1611 and the edition of 1769.
    Incorrect. The KJV is eclectic taking into consideration not only several Greek texts, but also the Latin Texts, the other European vernaculars, and the earlier English versions.
    I think you may have confused the 6 Greek manuscripts held by Erasmus with the number of manuscripts in the possession of the KJV translation committees.
    All of them.
    Not significantly. Only a word or two was changed.
    What is it you find wrong with those verses? The KJV still reads that way.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have anything wrong with the verses, or other material. It was simply from the book quoted above. I wanted to see what your opinion of it is. Obviously, the author has his own opinion of the KJV. This is from one small chapter in the book on the KJV. The remainder of the book is history of the manuscripts and the later versions.

Are you familiar with the author? Paul Wegner? That might tell a lot.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

He is Professor of Bible at Moody Bible Institute.