1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of Slavery in the United States

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Feb 8, 2006.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Hey, this may be old news to most of you studied historians (pun intended of course) but I learned an interesting fact today about the history of slavery in the United States. I had always heard that the first African slaves in the colonies that would become the United States were brought to Virginia by a Dutch Ship in 1619. In fact those 20 or so Africans were indentured servants, legally no different from the white servants imported from England. One of those original 20, Anthony Johnson, would earn his freedom and go on to aquire large land holdings.

From the link below:
    That’s right, the first documented slave owner in Virginia was in fact an African man who had been imported against his will to the colony as an indentured servant. I just thought that very ironic.

Here is a link if you want to read more:

http://www.cynthiaswope.com/withinthevines/jamestown/jtblack2.html#the%20census%20and%20nomenclature

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

However, he was not allowed to keep his property in Viriginia, ruled the British court, because he was black. Communications were slow in those days and by the time the ruling came back from the old country, he had sold his property and moved to Maryland.

Source: PBS: from the Library of Congress (linkie)