1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of the Lord's Supper Table

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 18, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Somewhere I remember reading or being told that the Lord's Supper Table historically was used to signify whether a church participated in open or closed communion.

If the table had four legs and was open underneath then that church had open communion. If the table was one solid piece and thus closed underneath the church had closed communion.

Is this true? Anyone have any information on it?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never heard that. Doesn't mean it's not true.

BTW: There are generally considered three "types" of communion:

1. Closed — Only open to members of the church.

2. Close — Open to church members of like faith and order.

3. Open — What it sounds like (although there are distinctions among churches that offer to anyone and those that limit it to believers or to baptized believers.)

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor, this question has really bugged me. I can't find any references and have searched my mind and photographs to try to see if there is a pattern.

I have seen photos of Primitive Baptist churches with "open" tables and Methodist churches with "closed" tables, so if the choice once had historical significance, it appears not to now.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I appreciate your help. I have looked through my stuff as well and not found anything. I know I heard or read it somewhere, just can't find it. Oh well...

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

hm, thats interesing. I'd like to know that too.