1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HIstory, Travel, and Discovery Channels and chasing mysteries

Discussion in 'Science' started by Alcott, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been watching the Travel Channel this evening, and it featured 3 successive hour shows about giant lake monsters (Loch Ness and Champlain), Big Foot (sasquatch, yeti, skunk ape), and (extraterrestrial) UFO's (particularly Roswell, Snow Flake, and recently in Phoenix and Mexico). The interviews, "search teams," and fan memorabilia reveal modern people who seem to be starved for fantasy, with deep longings of 'proof' that isn't proof. The History Channel, and occasionally the Discovery Channel, have shown similar 'documentaries' or possibly the very same ones.

What are these wild ideas all about? Is it just that myths about Zeus hurling lightning bolts and Daedalus flying to the sun and his wings melting are so long known to be nothing but fantastic tall tales that humans, by nature, crave mystery and myth so we create replacements? One example of "proof without proof" is the interview with the guy who constantly searches for the "skunk ape" [a particularly odorous version of 'Big Foor'] in the Everglades. He recounts stories of the creature's having been spotted, by himself and others,' and then says, "The most credible evidence I have is that hundreds of people are willing to swear that what they have seen is real." These people don't even know what evidence is. What people swear to have seen can be what they really thought was what people want to hear about, can be a misperception based on illusion likely coupled with wishful thinking, can be an outright lie, or many overlaps of these things.

On the other hand, it can be comparatively concluded from us-- Christians-- that we do the very same thing. We don't want to give up that which is almost impossible to prove false, so we perceive happenings in our lives, "inspiration" to believe, and our position of little power in the world and virtually nothing (individually) in the vastness of the universe, that we cling to a hopeful mystery and won't accept logical reasoning to discard it.

If we claim God interacts with us, isn't that the same as one who claims to be a UFO psychic, sending and receiving messages with someone 'out there;' just that they may not claim the one they talk to is almighty and omnipresent?

If we claim to believe in a devil, isn't that the same as believing in Big Foot, except that Big Foot wants to stay away from us (although some claim he has both a bodily presence and a mystical/spiritual presence)?

If we claim we are willing to devote our lives to what we believe in by teaching Bible classes and giving much of our money or going on mission trips, isn't that the same as monster hunters who leave their jobs or invest fortunes in detection devices to convince skeptics?

And what do we think is evidence?... "You ask me how I know He lives-- He lives within my heart"? Yeah... sure... that's evidence :rolleyes: .

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Scriptures answer your observations well.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
    (Hebrews 11:1 NAS)

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:20 NAS)

God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, (Hebrews 1:1,2a NAS)

Rob