1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ho does a ministry become a registered nonprofit organization?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by bodyofchrist32, Aug 5, 2009.

1. bodyofchrist32

bodyofchrist32 New Member

I am seeking to start a ministry aimed at mailing a gospel tract to every person in NC, and I was told that the best way to do this would be to start a nonprofit orginization. I was told that a nonprofit could get the stamps for free. Does anyone know if this is true? And, if so, how does one go about becoming registered as nonprofit?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free Stamps - Not likely,. However, if you get a Postal permit, you are able to send bulk mail at a much reduce rate. check with the post office for that info

As far as being registered as a non-profit, you would need to check with your State. Here is NY it was quite a process, but at least now we are tax exempt!

I would recommend to check with a local Non-profit and ask for some advice.

In NY I was told it would cost about $500 to incorporate.

Better yet, would your church consider as a ministry and just do everything thur the church?

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You aren't going to get stamps for free. You can qualify for non-profit mailing rates, but the costs are still going to be huge. There are a 9.2 million people in NC. Sending a 1 ounce letter at non-profit rates ($0.132 each) comes up to 1.214 million dollars. That doesn't even include the cost of the tracts themselves, not to mention the time involved. Oh, that best rate also assumes that you are printing all the addresses on the envelopes in a particular format and including the postal routing information. That's something you are going to need a mailing company for.

I don't mean to bum you out, but you may want to start with something not quite so huge. Maybe just start with your local city, depending on size.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - I've been working with non-profits for 25 years and free postage is a fallacy.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

No free stamps, but I pray that your ministry will be successful and bring forth a harvest.

6. bodyofchrist32

bodyofchrist32 New Member

Okay, so no free stamps. But does anyone know what I would have to do to become a registerd nonprofit?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

An individual cannot obtain not-for-profit status. What you will need to do is form a corporation, and register for 501c3 status for that corporation (since it will be a charitable organization). I suggest visiting the sites legalzoom.com and irs.gov for detailed information on doing so.

Regarding free postage, that's a myth.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post # 2