1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hobbies?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm curious as to what we Baptists do in whatever spare time we have. What are your hobbies or leisure-time activities (Other than posting to a Debate forum)?

And...just so the mods don't shut us down for having fellowship in the debate section...

1. You can debate why your hobby is better than everyone else's.

2. You can debate the biblical warrant for whether a Christian should have any hobbies or pursue any non-essential leisure activities at all.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wheres George.com

I track dollar bills by serial numbers.
    I have entered over 24,000 bills with over a 10% hit rate. There are over 8,000 members here in the Empire State and I am in the top 150!
    Many members can be contacted via email, which is a potential way of sharing the Gospel with them.

A great thing about WG is basically it is free!
    I spent $8 to buy a WG .com stamp, and other than that that it hasn't cost me anything.
    I have had hits in every State except New Mexico,(including 2 in Alaska and 1 in HI) one APO and 3 Providences in Canada. I also have hit all 62 counties in NY!

Sure is interesting to see where your money ends up at.

Looking at all stats - over 200 million bills have been entered

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For me, it's horses. I love horses and always have. I'm blessed to have a dear friend with a horse who doesn't ride so I get to ride him when I want. Right now I have scheduled Monday and Thursday as my days to ride but I can ride other days if I wish as well. I help her by doing her stall, feeding and caring for him when she's away or to just give her a day off. :) The horse is a love and while he can sometimes be challenging while riding, he's got such a sweet heart that I think if I believed in reincarnation, he was definitely a dog in his former life. LOL

For my husband, it is sailing. We have a 42 foot sailboat that goes in the water in the beginning of April and comes out the end of October and he's there at least a few days a week. It's his "marine office" where he can actually get sermon prep done and just get away from the office where there are a lot of distractions. We also use it as our vacation home and are usually away on it for 2-3 weeks each summer, sailing Long Island Sound and points east to Martha's Vineyard.

I'm TRYING to make running a hobby but so far my body is saying "Umm - I don't think I'm ever going to love this." LOL

4. Monster

Monster New Member

Writing (as in books). I love to use what imagination I have to the extent I'm able.
    Writing/composing/recording music mixed with video imagery.

1 - My hobbies are better because...ummm...because I say so!

2 - They have biblical warrant because writing allows me new and interesting opportunities to convey my beliefs in means and form that are expressly unique to that of others and demonstrate the gifts (this point is arguable :rolleyes:)that God has given. And...ummm...because I say so!

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's cold enough to wear a coat I hunt. If it is warm enough for shirtsleeves I fish.

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do we baptists do for fun? Well, we sit around thinking about how we are right about all things religious and everybody who isn't a baptist is wrong.

This message was brought to you be SARCARM.

I no longer have a hobby. I have a wife in worsening health, a 5 year old boy with high function autism and a 5 month old puppy. A 50 hour per week job. I'm a deacon. A lay-minister. I'm preaching this Sunday evening since our Pastor is out of town. It is a FIGHT to make the time to study God's Word. Truth be told, brothers and sisters, I feel worn out, stretched thin and ineffective. I need your prayers. I'm sure there are many out there that have it FAR worse than I do, but I'm asking for prayers. Please.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably but not many. May the Lord grant you peace, rest, and encouragement. God Bless

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I play chess...and speed chess{on the clock}....but I try not to do much of it ,as it takes up my time....i find it almost addicting.....so even a good thing can become sin if i am not careful.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have several hobbies which are probably a bore to everyone else, but since you asked.
    I work on an ever expanding family tree and document lines to historical figures
    Astronomy
    Stamp collecting
    Bowling
    Metal detecting
    Baptist Board of course
    Weather
    Raising parakeets

Bible study is really not a hobby, but go to as many Bible studies as I can, and occasionally lead them. Between my church work (deacon, SS Director, van driver, etc) a wife of 36 years, two kids, job in retirement in the mental health industry in adult day care, anyway, it all keeps me quite busy, and as everyone can see, the Lord has richly blessed me.

Buck 76 I am praying for you. Icon, I admire someone who can play a good game of chess. It is just one of those things, although I know the moves, I have ever been able to get my mind around as far as strategy.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I build stuff with wood...using mostly hand tools when I can: Hand-saws, handplanes, chisels, hand-powered drill, etc... I have some power tools but enjoy the hand tool work more.

1. My hobby is the best because I can make stuff for other people.

2. Liesure time well used will refresh the soul, using God's good gifts in a grateful way...rather than calling certain things inclean or insisting on ascetism and severety to the body...we will be actively obeying God's NT instructions.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Number two is an excellent thought. We are meant to enjoy life, not grit our teeth through it. Very well put in your wording.

Also, I will add, I have to admire those who can make things with tools. It is an art, which I have no artistic talent. Except for our wooden fence, anything I touch with a hammer or saw looks like a tornado hit it.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I am retired I have a lot more time for my favorite hobbies.

1. Reading - I wore out my first Kindle!

2. Shooting - I am a member of a gun club and am a Pistol instructor and Range Safety Officer.

3. Motorcycle riding - I am on my 29th motorcycle since I started riding 55 years ago.

4. Travel - My wife and I love to travel. We just got back from Honduras and Mexico. (Of course, going to Mexico is not all that hard from us. We live about 2 miles from the border. We go down into the Mexican State of Tamaulipas several times per month.) We're planning a trip to the Grand Cayman Islands in July - to visit all the money we don't have. (Seriously, we love Georgetown and the beautiful beaches there.)

#12 TCassidy, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just prayed and will continue to do so!

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Done. May our Saviour help you shoulder your load. May you be richly blessed because you didn't say no when asked to serve.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This might sound crazy----but I'm gonna "Second" Padre's motion!!!

Gardening and farming is my "Cup of Tea" along with what Padre said!!

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I've got several hobbies, none of which seem to be cheap :(

1. Paintball - The only sport I care a bit about. A lot of fun and a great workout as well. Plus I get to shoot at people :)

2. Shooting - I go to the range at least once a month (though the insane lack of ammunition right now could soon become a problem) and enjoy sending lead downrange into small pieces of paper.

3. Art - I draw and paint too, though I haven't been as committed to that lately like I should. I personally feel like art for me is something more than a simple hobby, because I see all the great Christian art of the past and the now almost total lack of it and I feel a great desire to contribute to a revival of great Christian art.

17. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

When I used to work 9 to whatever, longed for the days when I'd have free time (spare time) for all the things I wanted to do. Now that I'm "retired" still long for the same thing. In a sense. I'm doing what I want to do, but in a far different manner from what I thought it would be.

For example, I have a woodworking shop as I enjoy making things and restoring/repurposing other things for longer a useful life.. Rarely ever spend time out there anymore. Instead, often the portable tools are loaded in the truck to help somebody fix something.

Enjoy collecting and bringing back to useful life old castiron cookware. The last thing I did with that was to show a neighbor how to set up an electrolysis system to remove rust and how to remove crud with a lye bath.

For I don't know how many years, been collecting oil lamps and determined to have as many ways to make coffee (cook, too) as possible. Especially enjoy cooking outdoors that extends far beyond throwing a few burgers on a grill. Now it seems that most of the time that could be devoted to that in my backyard now happens either in or behind the fellowship hall at our church.

Further it seems that I'm headed in the direction of teaching others how to "Let there be light" and how to cook in ways they've never known that they could. To teach how to make an olive oil lamp and a beverage can stove. To make one to keep and make one to share. Where this is headed, I don't know. That's OK, as I'm sure He'll let me know when the time is right.

Time. Yes, my hobby/spare/leisure time is much different from what I imagined it would be. There still isn't enough time in a day to do all that I enjoy doing. Especially when it's finding ways to serve and give glory to our Lord.

18. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I played a lot of chess in high school, and our team was the city champion and 2nd or something in the state. I haven't played much since, but about ten years ago we held a tournament, complete with clocks and trophies, in our town. We had 3 missionaries, 2 missionary kids and one Japanese Christian man who whipped us all!

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May God give you strength, and meet all of your needs, physical and spiritual.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My big thing is baseball cards, both Japanese and American. I specialize in Japanese players who played in the US, and Americans who played in Japan. I have a number of treasures, such as Japanese rookie cards for both Ichiro and Matsui (worth about $100 apiece), and several cards for Sadaharu Oh (all time home run king for the world) from his playing days. [​IMG]