1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hoeksema on Paul's Objectors

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herman Hoeksema wrote a little book called " Whosoever Will " . Now I know he is usually known as a hyper-calvinist even to some Calvinists . Of course I believe no such thing . " Please do not misunderstand me , the particular gospel must be proclaimed within the hearing of all ... it is the will of God that even the reprobate shall hear the gospel of salvation ... the gospel in its preaching must be general . "

So now that you know he didn't believe in selecting his auditors for the proclamation of the gospel . Permit me to quote him from pages 146 and 146 of " Whosoever Will " . But first , let me lay some groundwork . Hoeksema is dealing with those who object to Paul's words in Romans 9 . Specifically verse 19 -- " Why does God still blame us ? For who is able to resist his will ? " And the earlier verse 14 -- " What shall we say ? Is God unjust ? "

I want to call your attention to the fact that the apostle Paul in the face of these objections does not apologize , does not withdraw one word of what he had written with regard to God's sovereignty in the matter of salvation .He does not answer that the objector had misunderstood his meaning , and that his objection was due to a misapprehension of his teaching . O, it is very evident that the objector understood the apostle as having taught God's unconditional predestination . Only on this supposition have the objections any sense at all .An Arminian preacher , one that presents salvation as depending on the sinner's free will , does not meet with these objections . No , the apostle had been teaching that salvation is not of him that willeth , nor of him that runneth , but of God that sheweth mercy ; and that , according to His sovereign good pleasure , God is merciful to whom he will be merciful , and whom He will He hardeneth . It is to this doctrine that the twofold objection is raised : then there is unrighteousness with God ; and then man is not responsible , for no one can resist his will . And if the objection had been due to a misunderstanding , the apostle could easily have removed the difficulty . In that case he would have modified his statements , and we would have found in the ninth chapter of the Romans something like the following : " But my dear man , you misunderstand me . You misconstrue my words . I certainly did not intend to convey the idea that God is sovereign even over the will of man ; on the contrary , His sovereignty is limited by the will of man . He hardens only those that resist His sincere efforts to save them ; and he saves whosoever will be saved . " Surely , some such statement on the part of the apostle would have removed the very reason for the opponent's objection . But since the apostle writes nothing of the kind , it is evident that he concedes that the opponent had understood him correctly . In Romans 9 the doctrine of uncondtional predestination is taught , and not the Arminian conception . Salvation is absolutely of the Lord . To this we will hold on the basis of Scripture , regardless of any possible objection by opponents .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Know It's An Old Thread --But It Is Relevant

A current thread :"A Very Simple Test" is related to this one. I think that HH is right on the mark.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thanks for sharing Rippon. My observation is this, if I had made some statement or observation on the basis of what is not written, however trivial, you would excoriate me for doing so.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that that is not what Hoeksema does. He states very plainly that what is written is rational only in the way it is exposited by Calvinists.

And he is right.