1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holdren: Ice age will kill 1 billion

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    White House science czar John Holdren has predicted 1 billion people will die in "carbon-dioxide induced famines" in a coming new ice age by 2020.

As WND previously reported, Holdren predicted in a 1971 textbook co-authored with Malthusian population alarmist Paul Ehrlich that global over-population was heading the Earth to a new ice age unless the government mandated urgent measures to control population, including the possibility of involuntary birth control measures such as forced sterilization.

More Here

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When I was in grade school, a common view was that the next ice age would start by the late 1990's, and that by 2010, the climate in Florida would make it impossible to grow citrus there. Yet here it is, 2 months prior to 2010, and I'm looking at a Florida orange sitting on my desk.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Caleeforna run out?

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

global warming or ice age, yep, sounds like they know what they're talking about, yep, trust in science.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Heheh! It's quite silly, actually. Most of our local citrus is shipped elsewhere in the country. A lot of our citrus comes from Florida and South America. Go figure. I live in Orange County, and getting a native orange is quite difficult.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was stationed there in the 80's long before Clinton closed down MCAS Eltoro. I never thought about where the oranges come from. I just assumed.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I loved El Toro. Wish it were still there. They had an awesome air show every year. I knew many people stationed there.

8. TomMann

TomMann New Member

I have assumed that so many of us will be taken out by the flu, and with so many of us going carbon neutral, there will be such reduction in carbon dioxide, that no such famines will be required to stabilize the earth.

9. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember sitting in my fifth grade class in Barrington, NJ, in the 70's and my teacher, Mr. McPhee telling us how we were all going to die in the next ice age.

I remember going back to college in the late 90's and my college professor telling me how we were all going to die from global warming.

And John, just so you know, I own a couple of rental properties in Florida and I just got a phone call yesterday from one of my tenents who told me it's so hot there that they can't even go outside. So I think your oranges are safe.

Meanwhile, they're predicting a snow storm during the Phillies-Rockies game tomorrow.

The weather is what the weather is. It's all cyclical and is not caused by man. There may be localized examples caused by man, such as cutting down a forrest to put up a shopping mall and, instead of having a forest of trees to absorb heat, you now have a large expanse of black pavement that reflects the heat, but primarily it's caused by the irregular elipse (is it elipse? Sorry, it's been a while since I studied astronomy) of the Earth and outside factors, such as sun spots.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good to hear. Florida better not go anywhere soon. The Mrs and I plan on relocating to Celebration when the kids are all on their own.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

I wish these bozos would make up their minds as to what we will die from next year. It would be nice to know whether I'm going to freeze or roast.

13. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

The news media back in the 1970s state that the world would warm up so much that there would be palm trees growing in New York City! :tongue3::rolleyes:;)

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

So, is it now going to switch from we are going freeze to death as opposed to burn to death. Now we will have to worry about the ocean levels going down as opposed to rising. Kind of shows that global warming, global freezing, climate change is a scam with a hidden agenda luriking in the shadows.

15. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bolded mine

Makes no difference. Some folk would believe it if you told them both would happen at the same time.

IOW, they have no functioning critical thinking cells, so they just accept whatever is parroted as fact from the left!

16. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

LOL! We drove through Celebration a few years ago when we visited Disney. I made the comment that it seemed like we were on the set of "The Truman Show" and my wife and four kids all said I hit the nail on the head. I thought the place was kind of creepy because everything was just so perfect. *shiver* :)

Sorry for the derail, I just had to comment.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

In times past, there was debate on this board regarding global warming (cooling now?!?).

But even our most left-leaning folks, I think, are looking at this and saying, "Sheesh...this is nuts."

18. billwald

billwald New Member

The fallacy of these sorts of topics is a universal ignorance of statistics and probability. Statistics only apply to historical events and probability only applies to future events. Historical data about chaotic events predicts absolutely nothing about future events.

19. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Didn't I hear just this week that the orange crop in Florida was down 10% because of cool weather?

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If you are over 65 you are already on the list so don't sweat it!