1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HOLIDAY RECIPES

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by Songbird, Nov 7, 2005.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Guess what happened tome.
    Last year I made sweet potato casserole for my sons christmas party at work. This year for Thanksgiving two different people there are paying me to make them sweet potato casserole. How cool is that, no one has ever paid me to cook anything for them before.

2. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

A friend gave me this recipe years ago, and I make them every year. It's a holiday favorite! Very easy!

CHEESECAKE COOKIES

2/3 C. butter
    2/3 C. brown sugar
    2 C. flour
    1 C. chopped nuts
    2 8-oz. pkgs cream cheese
    1/2 C. sugar
    2 eggs
    4 T. Milk
    2 T. lemon juice
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together butter, brown sugar, flour and nuts. Spread on cookie sheet, saving some for topping. Bake at 350° for 12-15 min.

Blend in blender till smooth cream cheese, sugar, eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Spread over cookie base and sprinkle with extra topping. Bake at 350° for 15 min.

Another holiday favorite...I usually make several of these, wrap them in colored saran wrap and give them as gifts. (Found the recipe in the newspaper a long time ago.)

CRUNCHY CHEESE BALL

1 8-oz. pkg cream cheese
    1/4 C. Miracle Whip (or mayo)
    2 C. ham, finely chopped
    2 T. chopped parsley
    1 tsp. minced onion
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    Finely chopped nuts

Beat cream cheese and Miracle Whip (or mayo) until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover; chill several hours.

Form into ball; roll in nuts to coat.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Donna: That is GREAT!!! Good time of the year to have some extra money coming in too!

CJ: I thought I was almost done baking for Christmas until I saw you cookie recipe. Now I'm just going to have to try it. It sounds scrumptious! How many cookies does each batch make?

Also, since your cheeseball is made with cream cheese; does it stay fairly soft? I usually buy my cheeseballs, but they are so hard, the crackers break trying to get some cheese on them!

If it stays soft, I will be making some of those too. Thanks!!! :D

4. computerjunkie

Sue,

The cheeseball stays soft. You chill it till firm, but all the other stuff in it keeps it soft. It really is good. I usually get an "assembly line" going and make several at a time. I get the ham in the lunchmeat section of the store and run it through my food processor to chop it up. Comes out perfect!

The cheesecake cookies are cut into small bars and the quantity depends on the size you cut them. It is made on a cookie sheet, so it makes a lot.

Now a question for you! I am going to make the Peanut Butter Balls, but couldn't find parafin at the store. Well, actually I found some but it was with the canning goods and didn't mention baking. Uses were things like sealing jars, putting on window frames to make them slide smoother, and other household stuff. Is that what you use? I was afraid to get it since it didn't specifically mention baking...would hate to put something you use on windows in something people are going to eat! :D Is there a certain kind you get? And where do you find it?

5. I Am Blessed 24

Well, CJ, that settles it! I've got more baking to do. [​IMG]

You buy the parafin that is used for sealing jars, etc. It is found in the canning section.

It doesn't hurt you at all. Guess what makes chocolate-covered cherries shiny? ;)

6. computerjunkie

I think I can honestly say I really never thought about it! :D

7. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Here's some easy stuff--plus it doesn't heat the kitchen up! yea!!! This is fun to do w/kids as well!

Christmas Snow

White almond bark
    peppermint candies (crushed)

Melt the bark in the microwave--maybe a minute--check frequent and stir.

When melted spread out onto waxed paper. Sprinkle the crushed peppermints on it. Refridgerate until hard. Break into pieces.

You can also use the chocolate bark, melt and add pretzels and nuts.

If you like butterfingers watch out!

Wheat thin crackers
    peanut butter
    white almond or chocolate bark.
    red/green sprinkles

Spread pb on a cracker and top w/another cracker. Dip into melted chocolate. Place on wax paper and refridgerate until hard.

Can also use ritz, graham, or captain's wafer crackers.

8. computerjunkie

Well, well, well...slight snag here!

I'm in the process NOW of making Sue's Molasses Sugar Cookies, and it says to add the flour, but it doesn't say how much. :(

I've PM'd her, so guess I'll just let the stuff sit till she answers me...unless SOMEBODY knows!

Made Gwen's Frosted Pecans last night...and they're really good! Kinda like pralines, but MUCH easier!

Sue?? Sue?? Where are you Sue???

9. A Willing Heart

A Willing Heart New Member

I have all the ingredients to make the peanut brittle~I think I might just try it tonight!
    ~Amy

10. I Am Blessed 24

I'm so sorry! I have not been on the computer all day and I really did not mean to leave out the flour in the MOLASSES SUGAR COOKIES. Really I didn't. :saint:
    I have added it to the recipe now. It calls for 2 cups of flour.

Sorry again! :eek:

#30 I Am Blessed 24, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  11. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Computerjunkie--I'm so glad you made the frosted pecans! They are easy and so good!

Gwen

12. computerjunkie

Whew! Finally!! No problem...if I didn't hear anything from you shortly, I was gonna add 2 cups and see what happened!!!

THANK YOU! I can proceed now! :D

13. computerjunkie

OK, the dough is "chilling", and it may have to chill until tomorrow! Getting a little late to bake them and let them cool.

Got the paraffin for the Peanut Butter Balls. Here's some of the "General Uses":

1. Rub on snow shovels to aid shoveling wet show.
    2. Lubricate snow skis and toboggans.
    3. Wax surfboards.

And this is my favorite...Coat inside of garbage cans with melted paraffin to prevent rusting, sticking of contents, and enable easier cleaning.

And I'm going to melt this with chocolate and EAT it??? :eek: :eek:

Probably wouldn't have thought too much about it until Sue messed up one of her recipes...now I'm not so sure. [​IMG]

14. I Am Blessed 24

Hey! :laugh:

Are you old enough to remember the colored liquid candy that came in those little wax bottles?

We used to chew the wax for bubble gum and swallow the juice. What do you think that wax was? [​IMG]

Of course, you have one bar of paraffin spread out between 150 peanut butter balls. I only eat 2/3 at a time.

Uh oh. I forgot about you and chocolate. You could end up with your innards stuck together. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

#34 I Am Blessed 24, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  15. computerjunkie

Yes.

16. computerjunkie

Question for Songbird...or anybody...

For the Peanut Butter Balls, you stick toothpicks in them to dip them. If I use the chocolate bark and make the Ritz crackers with peanut butter, how do you dip them in the chocolate?

(You should have KNOWN that idea would get my attention!! Actually, one of the guys at work brought those last year...his wife had made them...and they are just awesome! But I'm not sure how to dip them.)

CJ

17. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Use a fork to put the crackers in the chocolate.

18. Gayla

Gayla New Member

And take them out, too. :D :rolleyes:

19. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Gayla's right. It can be tricky and messy. but when you're done you can lick your fingers and enjoy the chocolate!

Oh, I dip plastic spoons in melted chocolate and stick in the freezer. I put them w/gift baskets w/coffee or hot chocolate. Sometimes I sprinkle them w/red/green sprinkles or crushed peppermints b-f I freeze them.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

i do I do [​IMG]