1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Holman Christian Standard Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DocTrinsoGrace, Feb 2, 2014.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The average church member does not even understand the differences between translations. Typically they pick one that has the wording they like best. The details of how the wording was chosen is lost to them.

3. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Yes, that bugs me as well.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The four Hebrew letters Y, H, W, H, appear over 6000 times in the OT, with many translations rendering the four letter "telegramation" as "LORD" all in capital letters. The KJV invented "Jehovah" and put it in a few places, but modern scholars think the telegramation should be transliterated as Yahweh. Anytime we read "Lord" all in capital letters, it is easy to mentally distinguish that what actually appears in the inspired text is the personal name of God.

I do not think an NT text uses the telegramation, but rather a Greek word meaning "Lord."

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

I looked through the LifeWay materials at our church last summer. With one exception, the studies all quoted the NASB as the standard biblical source, with the HCSB used roughly 20% of the time. Perhaps it varies according to the series?

6. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

That is interesting. Although, maybe that is a consequence having more to do with the author's choice than the publisher preference. Is that what you meant when you mentioned "the series?"

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I enjoy reading and studying from it, as it seems to be a tad more formal than the Niv, but reads like it!