1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holman Christian Standard Translation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Journeyman1, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Rev 14:6 And2532 I saw1492 another243 angel32 fly4072 in1722 the midst of heaven,3321 having2192 the everlasting166 gospel2098 to preach2097 unto them that dwell2730 on1909 the3588 earth,1093 and2532 to every3956 nation,1484 and2532 kindred,5443 and2532 tongue,1100 and2532 people,2992

Craig, are you saying that "tongue" in the above verse does NOT mean language?

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

No, of course not. Indeed, you would be very foolish to do so since you know almost nothing about me or my knowledge of this subject. However, you are not only disagreeing with me—you are disagreeing with many of the most capable and knowledgeable language scholars and translators alive today.

I do not wish to continue debating in this thread with individuals who do not have the necessary background and education in linguistics and translation theory to understand my posts, so I am withdrawing from this thread.

[​IMG]

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we are not. You just have not provided any sources that we may check out.

Now, you are making assumptions about our background without knowing us.

4. manchester

manchester New Member

To anyone who claims that "tongues" is different from "languages," please provide any and all relevant differences in meaning. (For example, does "tongues" also include casting magic spells or making prophetic predictions?)

5. manchester

manchester New Member

duplicate

[ March 10, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: manchester ]

6. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I'm still reading through the HCSB, and so far I haven't found any real problems with it.....

Some different renderings, for example: Messiah, where Christ has traditionally been used, Slave instead of Servant, etc...

But over all I think (just my opinion) it comes down to personal preference....

As an illustration, Romans 1:1 (excerp) from 4 translations:

1. "Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus" HCSB
    2. "Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus" NASB
    3. "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ" NKJV
    4. "Paul, bondman of Jesus Christ" Ricker-Berry

I personally prefer (once again just MY preference) the NASB rendering in this case, as I like the picture of becoming a bond-servant IAW Old Testament law.....That we willingly submitted ourselves as slaves for life to our Lord......

But in reality, the idea that Paul is in service to Christ is expressed in all the above......

Guess it all comes down to what flavor one likes.
    [​IMG]

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Craig,
    This is a personal slam to the people who post here. You do not know about their backgrounds either and just because you disagree with it does not make it wrong.

You entire defense on many issues is based on "what you say that many other professionals believe". This is getting a little old.

If you do not wish to post, that is fine, but I seriously suggest that you quit making personal attacks on the knowledge of those fellow Christians that debate here. It will be edited in the future and/or earn free paid vacations. I prefer this not to happen so let us lay off of the person attacks on a persons knowledge, education or opinion.

Thank you,

8. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

I've been considering a change to the HCSB, personally I like this translation:

NIV Ephesians:4:31-32

31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

HCSB:

31 All bitterness, anger and wrath, insult and slander must be removed from you, along with all wickedness. 32 And be kind (A) and compassionate (B) to one another, forgiving (C) one another, just as God also forgave you [a] in Christ.

jman