1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holy Kiss?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tyndale1946, Apr 1, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thessalonians 5:26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

I have shaken hands with brethren and have hug the brethren. I know of one minister who would shake your hand and hug each member and plant a kiss on their neck. Since brethren is a collective term of both genders if I go giving female member a holy kiss I would get the wifely slap up the side of the head. Kiss a brother and I would get ye knuckle sandwich. There are many kisses in the scriptures... The father embracing the prodigal son when he returned... Another scripture that states kiss the Son lest he be angry and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little... Then of course Judas kiss of betrayal to Jesus Christ... So what to your understanding is a Holy Kiss?... Brother Glen

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A kiss in that age and part of the world was like a handshake or hug. Even in this age, for instance, in parts of Europe, a kiss on both cheeks is a warm greeting.

I have always understood that a holy kiss is a sincere, heartfelt and loving greeting of your brothers and sisters in Christ. If I were in Italy, it might well be a double kiss. In Texas, it would be a vocal greeting and a handshake or light hug. There must be no pretense.

3. beameup

beameup Member

How do the French greet each other to this day?

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It that how the French Baptist greet each other in church? Oui!... Brother Glen