1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holy Name Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by tonyhipps, Oct 16, 2010.

1. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

Is anyone familiar with this Bible?

I found one the other day at a garage sale. It was Copyrighted in 1963. by The Scripture Research Association, Inc. Revised By A.B. Traina

Rather than the traditional renderings of Lord, God, God Almighty, etc. it uses the names Elohim, Yahweh, Adonay, etc. etc., and for Jesus - Yahshua.

I'm just curious if anyone has any info about this Bible.

Thanks

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

If my memory is correct--(I was only about 6 then anyway)--there was a Bible being sold when I was young, up through the seventies that changed the names in the Bible to try to match the "sounds" of the original languages and stay away from changes to an English word. Personally, I think it was just another way to make a quick buck because even without a computer it was quite easy to take a KJV (with no U.S. copyright) and simply change all of the names.

The alphabet was still English, but it was English alphabet used to try to "sound" out the names that the creator (of the changes) tried to use which have become standard among translators who think that the words were pronounced that way.

Hebrew was especially hard because we have an idea of the sounds, but we do not know for sure; plus, the marks for sounding (which are like vowels or marks to indicate particular sounds -- for lack of a better explaination with my dead Saturday morning brain). As an old Bible (and book) collector, I would at least keep it until I found out how rare it really is. It is not very old so it will probably not be worth much for you, but maybe you could hand it down a generation or two. If you do, store it in a zipped locked bag that has been left open to the air for about a week beforehand. This will allow the bag to outgas the chemicals used to make the plastic and prevent as much air to reach the book as possible. (This is only for low-end rare books, there are special bags and methods for high-end books that are very expensive, but this method will keep it for many years in good shapel.) Always write exactly what the books is on a piece of acid-free paper, when it was bagged and where you obtained it---or any other information regarding the book that is not in the book itself. Let the ink dry for at least 24 hours and stick this in the bag where it can be read without opening the bag every time you pick it up.

Just some ideas, if you wish to keep it as a momento or possible collectors item.

I am sure there are a lot of experts on this line who can tell you exactly what this book is and its background history. Anybody?

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Not first hand. There is info about it on the Internet. It is one of several so-called 'sacred names' Bibles. They are basically the KJV text with Jewish spelt proper names (and often some other edits).

I collect English editions of the New Testament/Bible of the 20th Century if you ever are interested in selling it. I have hardcopy examples of over 100 NTs currently but not this one.

4. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

Sorry franklinmonroe, I'm also a collector. I also have one called "The Holy Scriptures" a jewish Bible. copyright 1917. It is only the Old Testament and the books are arranged in the Jewish Tradition. Also have an original copyright 1901 ASV. and many others.

Still looking for a Geneva Bible with Calvin's handwritten notes, but I don't have $10,000,000 to buy it though. Lol