1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holy Spirit's Teaching

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Sep 14, 2013.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oftentimes, we will make these kinds of statements, and it will often be said from two different points of view of a doctrine or a particular passage of scripture. Each side will feel they have rightly divided the Word of truth and that they have listened to the Spirit.

So just who is actually listening to the Spirit as they read the Word?

First, let me ask if anyone here has actually heard the voice of the Spirit clarify a doctrine or interpretation of a scripture? That is, actually hearing either by the ear or by the voice of the Spirit directly into the conscience?

Probably most of us have never experienced a direct audible from the Spirit on the topic of doctrine. If anyone here has, we would love to hear your testimony. So really, what do we mean when we say the Spirit will guide us into all truth?

My opinion is that the Spirit teaches us through our spirit or what we would call the heart. I believe the Spirit is seated on the emotions. Let me clarify this, a believer has been regenerated/born-again having been given a new heart, a quickened spirit, a spirit joined together as one with the Spirit of Christ, a new creation. Having been given this new heart, a believer can trust their emotions as a guide to what is truth and what is love because our spirit is no longer depraved. A depraved spirit cannot trust their emotions, for they are carnal, fleshly, and cannot receive the things of the Spirit.

So to repeat the question, just who is actually listening to the Spirit as they read the Word?

Somebody isn't, and somebody is. Both cannot be listening to their heart/Spirit when there are two differing opinions.

Am I wrong about the Spirit residing in the emotions of our soul? If so, how do you believe the Spirit expresses Himself in our lives? I know that when some songs about the grace of Jesus Christ are sung I well up with tears and love inside, is this not of the Spirit? Would I well up inside if I didn't believe in Jesus Christ, would those songs move me at all? I doubt it. And ever since I was saved I have had compassion and empathy upon people and would feel the Spirit working in me whenever I would witness good in others or see pain and suffering.

So what say you all?

#1 steaver, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Herald

Herald New Member

Allow me to elucidate on the comment of mine you quoted.

It is the Holy Spirit that gives understanding of the scriptures. This is not done audibly. Consider the words of the Apostle:

1 Corinthians 2:12-13 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

It is the Holy Spirit that gives our minds spiritual understanding of the Word of God. This is not to be confused with direct or divine revelation, as though we are receiving a prophetic message from God.

In the previous thread you and I disagreed, so I left the conversation in God's hands. What I meant by my closing statement is that I hoped the Lord would use the Word, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, to reveal to you the truth. Not through some divine message, but through the Spirit giving your mind a new understanding of what the Word says on the topic we were discussing.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand all that brother. I used your statement as an opening for a new topic. You hope that the Lord would use the Word, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, to reveal to me the truth. I didn't take that as an audible, I just want to discuss the topic.

And, your hope has come true! The Spirit has revealed to me through the Word and spirit that regeneration is not prior to calling upon Jesus Christ, but after. (You see why I started this thread?)

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure that I'd agree that the Spirit is seated on the emotions. I think that it is much deeper than that. For example, it is also through the Spirit that we gain spiritual understanding. We understand and can apply spiritual truths that would otherwise remain unrealized in our lives. I don't think the Christian can necessarily trust his or her emotions - perhaps more of an effect is on their conscience.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit indeed illuminates the word of God to us, but it is also true that he requires us to employ sound biblcal study practices in order to ahve us get the message that he intended for us to have!

its NOT pray and ask the voice of him to tell us all truths, but that we use sound tools/methods to get to the truth, and I find that He seems to be mor einterested in showing us how to apply and live those truths!