1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Holy week

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Feb 18, 2013.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Romans 6:5-6a...

5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
    6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord.

If I decide that every 2nd tuesday of every other month, I'm going to thank God for sending his son to die for me, It is not a sin.

If I decide that once a year on the friday before Easter I'm going to gather with other people and thank God for sending is son to die for me, it's not a sin.

sheesh!

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Thank you for some common sense.

3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Well, I guess you had better not celebrate Christmas on Jan. 25 then. Jesus was not born then, and the Catholic Church started the tradition to counteract pagan tradition surrounding the Winter solstice.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My exact thoughts this morning.

No one is saying that celebrating any holiday is a mark of a believer, will get you saved or anything like that. It's just a common day that many believers will reflect on the sacrifice - the immense sacrifice - of God on the cross.

However, I do believe that saying that people who celebrate it hate the KJV is disgusting.

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

It's worse than that, it's idiocy.

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely correct. I do not celebrate the Mass of Christ nor the Goddess of Estrus. These are pagan to be sure.

This causes no small amount of consternation in the family--almost as much as renouncing the "holy see".

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

7. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I always forget that rule. :)

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not celebrate the Mass of Christ - I celebrate Christmas.

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

You mean "Christ-mas"? :)

10. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sugar coat it any way you like, it is still pagan idolatry with a Christian facade. Celebrating Christmas has been outlawed in the not so distant past. Apparently, the merchants prevailed. Some cannot make a profit without a good Christmas selling season. The money changers are in the temple again.

Bro. James

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Oh good grief- what a horrible misapplication of Scripture.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Romans 6:5-6a...

5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
    6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord.

If I decide that every 2nd tuesday of every other month, I'm going to thank God for sending his son to be incarnated as a man, It is not a sin.

If I decide that once a year on Dec. 25 that I'm going to gather with other people and thank God for sending his son to be incarnated as a man, it's not a sin.

sheesh!

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show me how it is idolatry?

Do you have support for this assertion?

Can you show me where merchants are selling in the church?

14. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notions regarding idolatry: the names and symbols are of pagan origin; the "holy days" are promulgated by a religion steeped in idolatry from its origin.

Re: surf, Christmas banned in Boston--Puritans circa late 17th century??

Re: Money changers: There is a real lucrative business selling books and cds in church house foyers by speakers and musicians. Many churches have paid pastors, musicians etc, etc., also LCC charters. It is still possible to buy various religious articles blessed or unblessed from where ever. Indeed we have made commerce out of religion.

Bro. James

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Amen

Bro.James.....I love and appreciate you Brother (and I'm not being sarcastic). You always seem to have a knack for showing up in the middle of a "conversation" at just the right time and with just the right comment. There is too much compromise going on these days and yes...we should " earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints".
    However....I do know there is much room for agreement/disagreement on what comprises compromise and what we should or should do/not do.
    Bro.Greg:saint:

#35 Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Compromise= what the other guy does that I disagree with, OR what I do that he disagrees with.

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

And THAT is the problem...

Unfortunately Mexdeaf, all too often, what you said is exactly what happens....."compromise" becomes the subjective fodder of "private interpretation" without any actual Biblical support. We must always seek to determine, by the authority of the SCRIPTURES ONLY, what actually comprises compromise (and do all we can to avoid it). Without scriptural support it becomes the subjective opinion of man which for purposes of godly living and daily practice is basically worthless. Amen?

Bro.Greg:saint:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MD, you must deal with this all the time living next to a RC Country......they must have festivals, traditions & alike. Do they still do "Passion Play" & also walk around with the cross? In my old neighborhood growing up it was done all the time. It was Irish, Italian & East European....all Catholic of some sort or another. Now its a ton of the illegals who go down the road to my old Catholic church reviving those traditions & adding some more.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen!:wavey:

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our days of the week and months of the year are also of pagan origin and come from a people who were steeped in idolatry. Heck, they originate from the names of false gods!

So Christmas wasn't widely banned then and instead it was just banned in one city. Did you know that buying a Coke larger than 16 oz. is banned in NYC as well?

So you say that paid pastors are moneychangers in the temple that need to be tossed out?