1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Home page vs Start Page

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by hizson922, May 18, 2004.

1. hizson922

hizson922 New Member

Can some one please tell me what comes to mind when you hear the words Home Page and Start Page. Are they the same thing? If not whats the difference?

Thanks to any who are willing to clear this up for me.

God bless

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Home Page is a page you created with your interests, etc. Start Page is the page that pops up when you come online such as a local news page, weather page, etc.

Posting Rule number 7 . No solicitation or advertising of any kind. Our message boards are for discussions, not to sell goods or services. If you would like to advertise, please contact us for an advertising package.

To Advertise, check out this link.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/advertising.html

3. hizson922

hizson922 New Member

Thanks, thats what I thought. Can the two be combined?

Curious...why is there a posting rule included in your post? I have not tried in any way to solicit or sell a single item. All I did was ask a question.

But thanks for your input.

4. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello hizson922, and welcome to the Baptist Board! Say, you ought to be heading up to the Welcome to Baptist Board.com forum and properly introduce yourself. It is not customary to pop a question before you properly get baptized in the Welcome forum... [​IMG]

By the way, I do not think Diane intended to quote the Bible up there.... I think she may have wanted to say one thing and she said something else. It could happen you know... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Can the two be combined?"

Yes. You can set your Web page to be your browser's home page. Exactly how you do that depends on the browser.

6. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

In Internet Explorer the 'Home Page' is what 'pops up' when you start or load Internet Explorer.

This page can be *any* HTML File that you can get to. On your computer, the Local Network, or the Internet.

It is set (in IE) by going to: [Tools][Options] it's in the top frame. Labeled 'Home Page'.

I haven't actually seen 'Start Page' used anywhere, yet. [​IMG] (Maybe, I just haven't paid attention?) (It may be a 'Netscape' term that equals the IE 'Home Page'.

Now, to throw a little confusion into the mix...

If you have a web site or space on a server with your Internet Service... Then that, too, is called a 'Home Page'. Confused, yet? :D

On a Web Server the site's 'Home Page' is usually named something like 'Index.htm'.

This is Web Server specific. So, far everyone that has hosted my site has used a Server that defaulted to 'Index.Htm' for the 'Home Page'.

Which is the first page anyone sees when they come in through the front door. ex. http://www.houseofmyrrh.org/ will get you my home page...

But, on most servers, you can get to any page on the system by, ex: http://www.houseofmyrrh.org/webdes.htm appending a specific HTM or HTML file...

In fact if your Browser 'Understands' the file format you can use 'any' file type...

Ex: http://www.houseofmyrrh.org/goldknight.gif gets you an image file I like to use as my personal Avatar.

On my home system I have a 'MikeAddr.htm' file as my local 'Home Page' that has a bunch of links I use all the time...

True I *could* use the Favorites Folder... But, I am personally more at ease with something I can 'Easily' copy and transport, and edit.