1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Home remedies that actually work...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TaterTot, Feb 17, 2005.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Do you know of any personally? (Not just what dear old great Aunt Bertha swore by, but stuff you know works.)

This oughtta be interesting!

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

One of the best is gargling hydrogen peroxide if you have a sore throat. You can water it down some if you need to, but using it straight out of the bottle works best. Gargling hydrogen peroxide can stop a sore throat infection in it's early stages. Be warned it will leave an aftertaste in your mouth that last for a day or two.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yes! I know of a couple that I've proven work.

Vicks Vapor Rub (or store brand), smeared twice a day on toenail fungus will eventually kill the fungus.

Gentian Violet works on nail fungus OR on a 'yeast' infection like housewives get on their hands. It also works for thrush and ringworm. It stains everything it touches but I had a red spot on my little finger, near the nail, that itched like crazy. I used 2 tubes of Lamisil but it came right back each time I stopped using the medicine. An old nurse told me to try Gentian Violet and I did. Twice a day for 2 weeks and it never came back. It's been over a year.
    [​IMG] Less than $2.00 at Wal-Mart. Kept behind the couter because of how badly it stains!

I used Vicks on one toenail and Gentian Violet on the big toenail. Both cleared up and I have beautiful toenails again. It's been a year with no recurrence. [​IMG]

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

How long did that take to clear up Diane?
    I read if you mix tea tree oil with vick it works on toe nail fungus.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I did that for about 3 months Donna, until the little toe nail grew out clear and pretty. I had tried tea tree oil and it didn't work for me.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Tree Tea Oil is also great for a good scalp cleansing once a month or so.

My grandmother claims that ham/bacon fat will help draw out a splinter.

Lavender is great when you need to relax.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Diane, did you just rub it right on the toe nail, around the cuticle also I assume? My doctor gave me lamisil,and it still has not done anything, and it's been 8 months, still growing out but no new fresh nail thats not infected. So I think i'll try some vicks.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I smeared it on thick, Donna. It'll stain your sheets at night so wear socks! The doctor had my mother grind up Lamisil tablets and put it in something.... to smear on... it didn't work on her either.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

A cold, damp tea bag in the early stages of a mouth sore will dry it up.

Even helps in the later stages.

Two minutes as often as you can think about it and do it.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

On a canker sore IN the mouth, Roger? I get those and so does Nick. They HURT!

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I ahve used them in the mouth as well, not as effective, but it still helps draw out the infection. It has to so with the tannis in the tea bag (not tea bug as I typed first ;) )

12. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Hydrogen Peroxide is an inexpensive remedy that is overlooked by many. Not only does it make a good gargle, as mouth wash it kills bacteria and whitens your teeth. Your dentist will be amazed at the improvement in dental hygiene. When first using HP dilute it until you get used to it and then use it full strength.

Disregard what your dentist may say or the restrictive instructions on the bottle, I've been using it for many years without any problems. Of course you don't want to drink it if you become thirsty.

In my surfing on the subject I came across an innovative use for HP. A person had bought nasal spray, like Afrin, and dumped the contents out and replace it with 3% HP to clear out his lungs. He also gives HP applications for gardening. I suggest you read his comments at:

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/hydrogenperoxide07feb05.shtml

For those with respiratory problems I would think using HP in a vaporizer would do wonders for them. Is there any body out there who would like to try this? You can buy 32 0z bottles at Wal Mart for about 80 cents.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have done the Vicks thing for a nail fungus, too. Its amazing that it really does work!! I put it on 2 times a day and it killed the fungus and grew out a clean nail.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A few years ago I had a terrible time with my skin being irritated due to hay fever. I read that your body can only absorb plant and animal oils or fats. So I decided to use the same cooking oil my wife uses. Earler I bought some expensive lotion and the it did not even work by comparison to the cooking oil. So I have contined to use cooking oil in place of lotion. It works better and costs much less.

15. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Witch Hazel really works for cleansing your pores and for itchy bug bites. It doesn't smell the greatest, but it's inexpensive and works well.

For women with PMS, taking a calcium supplement that has zinc and magnesium in it as well works wonders. I also combined this with an Evening Primrose oil supplement. These two supplements will remedy both physical and emotional ailments associated with PMS.

Vinegar in the wash makes a good sofener as well as getting odors out.

Julia

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Of course, Duct Tape is known to be a great way to get rid of most warts. Cover the wart with a small piece. Change it daily for about 2 weeks and the wart will fall off. I'm trying it on a small plantar's wart on the ball of my foot right now.

17. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Nail polish remover cleans that icky hair spray residue that can build up on hair barettes and anything in the path of the hairspray. Just be careful cause it can take shiny coating off some things.

18. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

A small band aid placed firmly over a skin tag will work like duct tape with a wart.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Twisting a skin tag or hanging mole back and forth a few times a day for a few days will also cause it to fall off.

20. Gib

Gib Active Member

My doctor burned 2 of those things off my neck. It hurt more than a tattoo and then there was that whole skin burning smell.