1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homer Rodeheaver

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what category to place this topic . Moderators feel free to move it .
    Homer Rodeheaver was to Billy Sunday as Ira Sankey was to D.L. Moody . Bert H. Wilhoit wrote a book called "Rody" . I'll give a few miscellaneous snippets from it here .

H.R. was famous for a number of songs : Brighten The Corner Where You Are , Every Cloud Will Wear a Rainbow If Your heart Keeps Right , Pray The Clouds Away , You Must Open The Door , Goodnight Here And Good Morning Up There.

H.R. : " I believe there is a worldwide revival of religion coming back. When it arrives , it will be accomplished through singing gospel songs and teaching others to sing . "

Rody popularized sunrise Easter services .

In 1929 Billy Sunday wrote a letter to Rody accusing him of ingratitude in regard "to all that had been accomplished to make him famous and successful ."

Last words of Billy Sunday ; " I'm getting dizzy , Ma! "

H.R. said that whenever Sunday " gave an invitation , I wanted to hit the sawdust trail ."

"In Sunday's earlier ministry , he gave much emphasis to personal salvation . After 1907 he preached sermons against the saloons ... "

An interesting quote from D.L. Moody : " I would have rather written 'Softly And Tenderly' than [do] anything I have been able to do in my whole life ."

Rody said that " One gospel song that is frequently spoiled is 'Since Jesus Came Into My Heart' ... singing it too fast makes it sound frivolous ... it can approach [ jazziness] . Another gospel song that sounds ridiculous when sung too fast is ' Praise Him ! Praise Him !' "

H.R.'s words regarding a song leader's qualities : " His purpose should be to seek his audience's enjoyment . "