1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homeschoolers' setback sends shock waves through state

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by Ps104_33, Mar 8, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was a kid my parents had a dairy farm. We got up at 3:30 AM and started milking the cows at 4:00 AM. We had to catch the bus at 6:40 and classes began at 7:30 AM. My homework got done during brunch, lunch, and any other time I had. That taught me some very valuable lessons. It taught me to get good grades, endure and work hard even when I didn't feel like it.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GB, would you agree that homeschooling works in some situations, where other choices -- public, charter, church school, tutoring, or other option -- work in other situations?

That perhaps, one solution doesn't particularly work in all cases?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think that one solution works best. I believe those who expect the most and care most about the success of the student is the person who should be given the authority to teach. I have never seen a parent who cares as much about the success of their child as I do. Over the years I have gotten several complaints about being demanding and giving a lot of work.

I take the position that learning one of life's lessons is far more important than just learning some content. Sometimes we need to let children fail in small ways so they will learn to listen and not fail in big ways later. If we make the class easy and expect little they will have learned little in terms of content and especially in terms of self discipline for life and proper conduct toward learning.

Learning is also about learning to adapt to other people. I have students who like me and others who think who think I am ignorant and give them wasted exercises. Even though I have over 20 years in the field I am teaching in. Everyone will say that I make them work hard and care about their success. Some come to class as complainers. Hopefully they leave grateful. Some will not know until later though.

I think learning to discipline oneself and learning to learn are the most important things we can teach. We cannot teach that unless we require a lot and the best from each student.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know that thing about communication filters? Well, you filtered me right there. I don't give one whit about the rest of your so-called justification for your personal opinion and viewpoint, because you already stated that you're better for everyone else's kids than their own parents.

Think very carefully about this: What's the reason most (not all) people choose to homeschool? Because they care about the education their child is receiving.

"Sanctimonious" is the word that comes to my mind.

Unfortunately, MOST public school teachers are not like you.

The ruling in California is dangerous, because it means that the state will dictate what its citizens are taught. There's no freedom to choose. There's no freedom of the individual to explore alternatives.

If you can't get past your personal blinders and filters and see that, well, you're not educated; you're brainwashed.

I'm done.

5. Beth

Beth New Member

I'm surprised

I' thought the homeschooling forum was designed to support those of us who are homeschooling....

Perhaps the poster gb who opposes homeschooling could debate in the Baptist forums where there is an active homeschooling debate going on?

Just a suggestion....

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

gb:

You have violated this forum's rules. Please read the sticky at the top.

Please discontinue posting in this forum if you cannot support homeschooling, otherwise further posts from you will be deleted.

I can hardly believe you made the statement about parents not caring for their children as much as you do. That sounds like something the government says while they are taking away our freedoms...

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not sure what sticky you referred to.

(Deleted for inappropriate issues in this forum.)

#27 gb93433, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

#28 menageriekeeper, Mar 24, 2008
  9. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: I am monitoring this forum. As a certified public school teacher and college professor, I've debated the pro's and con's of home-based education many times.

That is not the purpose here, so I ask to be careful about calling home schoolers a bad witness, etc. Some might be, but if we want to start talking about government education, the word "witness" might be oxymoronic.

Civil discussions, please.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The sticky I was referring to is at the top of the forum and here are the contents:

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

#32 gb93433, Mar 24, 2008
  13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

#33 gb93433, Mar 24, 2008
  14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

#34 gb93433, Mar 24, 2008
  15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GB, care to take this to another forum? Say, somewhere in the Debate Forums section?

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was simply responding to the critical and complaining remarks another claimed as fact when they are not.

God is sovereign.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it was me, then please feel free to send me a PM, or direct my attention to another thread.