1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homeschooling Information

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by homeschoolbaptist, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homeschoolbaptist

homeschoolbaptist New Member

Hi, I for one, think homeschooling is great! I'm surprised more people haven't posted to this forum.

Janine S.

#1 homeschoolbaptist, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Hello Janine, welcome to Baptist Board.

My wife and I also have 4 children that we homeschool. What ages/grades are you doing and how long have you been homeschooling?

3. Sarah81

Sarah81 New Member

I was unschooled. It worked out well for me because I spent lots of time learning more about what I really enjoyed - reading, writing and music. Not surprisingly, all of those things are being put to very good use now (college student, freelance writer, learning how to play drums, et cetera).

4. Mark Bishop

Mark Bishop New Member

glad to see it's being put to good use.. :)

5. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is more of a question about the possibility of my returning as a teacher in Lighthouse Christian School (LCS) in Antioch, TN. LCS is sponsored by the local church of which I've been a member for some 25 years-- Lighthhouse Christian Fellowship (LCF). Anyone is free to visit LCF's website: www.lighthhousenashville.org On the first page you'll see a link to LCS wherein you can get a lot of info about LCS ....... ANYWAY, as many Christian Day Schools throughout the US, LCS had to switch to a virtural-teaching setup for almost 1.5 yrs. This greatly affected LCS as I'm sure it affected many other Christian Day Schools (& maybe some homeschooling as well). Just before all this Covid-19 and/or the subsequent lockdowns, etc., one of the Sr High teachers approached me with an option to return teaching. Since I have some background in electronics both as an avionics tech with the TN ANG, & as an Electronic Tech with AT&T Telecommunications, he thought that maybe a course in Electronics in the Sr High might be something some that LCS's HS students might have an interest, The Nashville TN area does have many ways in which such a knowledge might be put into good use for our students if they had at least some kind of working knowledge of electronics. Tennessee Technical University (TTU) has its main campus only about 50 miles from LCS & (+ some extention campuses throughout Middle TN). Many music venues might also have a need for workers who not only have an understanding how their equipment (Amps, Mixers, instruments) works & how possibly to repair them (& then too, there are some manufacturing companies that seemingly are almost always looking for people to work for them). All told, there seems to be a potential out there for such a class. ......NOW, here comes the downside (You KNEW there'd be one!!). The teacher with whom I had some discussions about this class died about a year ago of ccancer. Then too, where would a Christian Day School be able to get suitable teaching materials (student & teacher textbooks, visuals, equipment, projects & the like)? I don't know of any Christian School companies that could fill the bill for these items. .....OTOH, electronics is a sort-of "neutral" subject. IOW, I don't know that electronics per se is inherently "Christian" or "Non-Christian." To me, teaching this type of subject usually doesn't involve "compromisizing" any Bible truths any more than Alegbra or Drafting, i.e., I don't see how designing a structure or solving a math problem has a decidedly "Christian" vs "Non-Christian" way of working things out. I realize that the concerns I face usually aren't "Core Issues" in either homeschooling or Christian Day Schooling, but yet I would appreciate any input/advice from you BB folks. Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread from 2006 is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.