1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homosexual and Saved?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by gerald285, Jan 5, 2007.

?

Can a Homosexual be a Christian

Poll closed Feb 4, 2007.
  1. No, repentance and faith make it impossible

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Usually not, but yes in some circumstances

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. If they were saved first and backslide they can

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. If they were born that way it is possible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. If they marry it makes it all right.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yes, we are not saved by works but by faith

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. God accepts as we are and homosexuality is not a sin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yes if they stay with one partner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

There seems to be a great deal of confussion today about people who engage in sin and claim to be saved. What is your understanding on this particular issue??

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not sure how to answer the poll, my answer isn't there all in one choice.

3. Brice

Brice New Member

Shouldn't the real question be, is salvation of the Lord? Your choice of fellowship is your choice, but we have no right to make judgements on salvation. I can't see the heart. I think we should be careful in regards to sin and should follow the biblical examples of discipline, but another poll on this subject does nothing to advance the kingdom.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t think that you can be a Christian and maintain a homosexual lifestyle, or any other immoral lifestyle. Yes, Christians backslide, but do not adopt it as a lifestyle.

(My answer really isn't one of the choices either)

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Saved in eternity...if they believe, yes.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." - Romans 10:9

Inherit the Kingdom of God...no way (nor will a whole bunch of other folks if they don't repent).

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind," - 1 Corinthians 6:9

6. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Your poll appears to assume the homosexual in question remains in a sinful lifestyle. There is not a selection in your poll to indicate someone who recognizes that lifestyle to be sinful and rejects it for Christ.

On the other hand, is there the same judgmental condemnation for all the divorced who have remarried and are living in adultry? Or those who simply cohabit without benefit of marriage?

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Certainly they can have a belief in Christ, but are they following Christ (the definition of a Christian) while living in sin?

Our eternal home is a work of the Lord. I don't know who all will or has been saved in that aspect, but I do know who is and is not living a Christian life, at least outwardly.

A homosexual engaged in that lifestyle is not living a Christian life.

For that matter, neither are fornicators, idolators, adulterers, drunkards, those guilty of filthy lucre, etc, etc.

It is a dangerous path to walk when we are judging one's eternal salvation based on outward works.

Judgment is in God's hands, so I'll leave it to Him to know who is or is not one of His.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You left out the operative word: practicing homosexual...

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Is it our place to worry about whether or not they can be a Christian? Since they are in rebellion if they are engaging in this...it is simply our responsibility to remind them of the Gospel, of God's love and justice, and the availability of forgiveness and a new life in Christ.

We'll find out the outcome on That Day. Our job is to present them with the truth, in love, now. Their destiny is in God's hands.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is homosexuality a sin? Since it is...and even Christians have sin natures, sin is still possible...any sin. Gluttony comes to mind as a good replacement for homosexuality in this thread. Would the answers be any different?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, if you feel someone's hand on your leg, be sure to check it out real quick. :applause:

12. I Am Blessed 24

I will - right after the slap! [​IMG]

No one had better put their hand on my leg whether they are homosexual or not. [​IMG]

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Yes, that's the key word, practicing. Maybe the poll can be edited or another one started?

14. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Hello webdog,
    you are soooooo incorrect! the bible NEVER says that gluttony is sin. The term glutton is used only two times in scripture and they have a totally different meaning then what we use the word for.
    Here are the meanings;
    1) to be worthless, be vile, be insignificant, be light

a) (Qal)

1) to be worthless, be insignificant

2) to make light of, squander, be lavish with

2) to shake, tremble, quake

a) (Niphal) to shake, quake
    flow down 2, vile 2, glutton 2, riotous eaters 1, riotous

However that being said the answer to your quuestion in general is yes. No matter the sin that a person practices it would constitute them lost according to scripture.

1John 3:9:thumbs:

15. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What is the source for your definition of "gluttonous"?

GLUT''TON, n. glut''n. [Low L. gluto.] One who indulges to excess in eating. (Source: 1828 Webster's)

Glutton - 1. One who eats voraciously, or to excess; a gormandizer. (Source: 1913 Webster's)

Glutton - 1. a person who eats and drinks excessively or voraciously. (Dictionary.com)

Glutton - A person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink. (American Heritage)​

While there are only two instances of "glutton" there are another two instances of "gluttonous" and in all four instances they are connected with drunkenness so I would submit that gluttony is as much a sin as drunkenness. There are also parallel descriptors of gluttony such as "rioutous eaters of flesh" which should also be considered.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I would think gluttony could be applied to almost anything we do voraciously, or to excess.

As in the old saying "glutton for punishment"...

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What does practicing really have to do with this? If someone has adultery in their heart are they not adulterous? Would not the same thing apply to someone who has sodomy in their heart?

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Rufus, you have created a label called "Adultery in the heart" which is faulty. Also... you have self-appointed yourself to diagnosing a false label, that's the second issue. There is no such thing as adultery in the heart.
    Our thoughts change from second to second so there is no permanent condition here. Some may fight these thoughts more than others.

Often these thoughts are involuntary. If having thoughts qualifies as gods definition of adultery, then we are ALL adulterers. That's ok because here's the good news...!.

Jesus paid the price for our sins. We live under grace. We do not know if this grace is sufficient to cover the sin of practicing homosexuality, sodomy etc...

#18 Joe, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Can an adulterer be a Christian?
    Can a liar be a Christian?
    Can a covetous person be a Christian?
    Can a fornicator be a Christian?

We could go on forever.

20. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Hello Rufus_1611,
    What I gave was the biblical rendering due to the hebrew. What you gave is theworld rendering due to the english. I will stick to the word. Again the term glutton as we know it is never used in scripture and never called a sin. What mmatters is what God says, not what men submit.