1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homosexual and Saved?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by gerald285, Jan 5, 2007.

?

Can a Homosexual be a Christian

Poll closed Feb 4, 2007.
  1. No, repentance and faith make it impossible

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Usually not, but yes in some circumstances

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. If they were saved first and backslide they can

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. If they were born that way it is possible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. If they marry it makes it all right.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yes, we are not saved by works but by faith

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. God accepts as we are and homosexuality is not a sin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yes if they stay with one partner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

God, Himself, called David "a man after God's own heart", but David still sinned, therefore he was not perfect.

Neither were the men you mentioned.

We are to strive to be perfect like Jesus, but we will never achieve it in this lifetime.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

In spite of the inspired words of God saying otherwise?

The Bible says Noah was perfect, the Bible says Job was perfect. I Am Blessed says those men weren't perfect. Who should I believe?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

"Perfect in his generations" in Genesis 6 does not mean sinless. Noah's sin after the flood is in scripture.

If you're saying anyone can be perfect (and by perfect meaning sinless), you are making a patently unscriptural statement, and you know it. (Romans 3:23)

Christ being the exception, of course...

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The word used was "perfect" and, according to the Bible, there was more than one perfect man.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Then in your view "perfect" and "sinless" CANNOT mean the same thing. Right?

Otherwise, why was there any need for Christ?

Noah wasn't sinless. One of Noah's sins was recorded in scripture!

Virtually every other version I've seen on Genesis 6:9 translates "perfect" as "blameless." (I know the KJV and NKJV are exceptions).

"Perfection" (if by that you mean "sinlessness") is not possible for a person in an entire lifetime. Otherwise, Christ's sacrifice was unnecessary.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

According to the Bible, this is correct.

I'm not saying he was sinless but the Holy Bible says he was perfect.

Guess that means all the Bibles aren't the same.

Was their no blame for his sin?

Genesis 6:9
    "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God." (KJV)

"This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God." (NIV)

"These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God." - (NASB)

"This is the history of Noah. Noah was a righteous man. He proved himself faultless among his contemporaries. Noah walked with the [true] God." (NWT)​

Job 1:1
    "There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." (KJV)

"In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." (NIV)

"There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil. " - (NASB)

"There happened to be a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man proved to be blameless and upright, and fearing God and turning aside from bad." - (NWT)​

Perfection(Biblical Perfection) is possible, as it has Biblical precedence and Jesus Christ would not command us to do something we were incapable of doing.

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." - Mark 9:23

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is the NET Bible's commentary on the word translated as perfect in Gen 6.9

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The NET Bible commentary on the words you have in Job 1.1. as "perfect" and upright" (which the NET Bible renders "pure" and "upright"):

9. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

The word used in the original Hebrew (tam or the verb tamam) was not translated correctly by the KJV as "perfect." The term in the original language is a comparative term. Noah and Job, compared to the people of the time in which they lived, were righteous and blameless, not perfect. Just an example of an error in translation in the KJV, or an outdated usage of a word that causes confusion today, a good reason to avoid using the KJV in favor of more accurate, modern translations.

I think Marcia's post, a couple of frames up, points out the definition of the Hebrew term quite well, used in comparison of Noah to the people of his day, and Job to those of his.

:type:

#49 Jack Matthews, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2007
  10. Citizen

Citizen New Member

Matthew 7:20
    20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

11. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Poll

I have a problem withh one of your options in your poll. God does not bring you into this world a homosexual. But of course this is just My Opinion :)

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The only way a person can be a homosexual and be saved at the same time (in my opinion) is if he forsakes that wicked lifestyle and remains celebate. Just like a drunk, drug addict, or any other addict, the desire never fully goes away, but they forsake it to change their lives for the better.