1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homosexual priest???

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bunyon, Oct 26, 2005.

?
  1. Sexual orientation dose not matter at all.

17.6%
  2. A few gay priest is workable, but 40 percent is a problem.

35.3%
  3. Even one homosexual priest is a problem.

47.1%
  4. The Catholic Church is apostate, end of story.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

In the latest issue of Time magazine, one of the Psychologist the Catholic Church uses to screen candidates for the priesthood says the he is comfortable estimating up to 40 percent of the priesthood to be homosexually oriented. Is this a problem?

2. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

So far, no one thinks that homosexual orintation is a nonissue.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The question needs to be asked: Is the estimate based on persons practicing same-gender fornication, or persons who simply admit to having had an attraction to persons of the same gender?

Regardless on views on the RCC in general, if someone is a priest and practicing any form of sexual activity, I'm against it. It violates their commitment, plus it is fornication. A person in the priesthood having any sort of lust is wrong.

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

We are talking orintation. I think there are cases where a nonpraciceing homosexual could make a good priest since they are supposed to be celebate, but 40 percent. Any system that manages to amass a 40 percent rate when the general population is only 1- 2 percent homosexual has a problem built into it somehow.

So Johnv, I suspect that you agree with me that a some nonpracticing homosexuals could workout as a priest, but anything approaching 40 percent is a problem. Yes?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I tend to agree, bunyan. The 40 percent number is a problem. However, I do suspect that the 40 percent number is probably an over- exaggeration. It seems unrealistic to the extreme, even if we presume serious flaws in the system of the priesthood.

I mean, what is the the psycologist using to qualify "orientation"? Does "I once glanced at a guy in gym class and thought he was good looking" count?

6. kubel

kubel New Member

Like forbidding to marry? [​IMG]

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forty percent seems a low estimate when one looks at the Roman Catholic Church worldwide. The sodomite priests are called the Lavender Mafia and they control whole seminaries and parishes worldwide and have since Martin Luther's time.

The Catholic Church must allow married men to become priests and the Catholic Church must defrock all practicing sodomites. I doubt if they will change, however. Also, they must allow married couples to use birth control if they wish; the pope is not married so how can he be an expert on marriage?

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I tend to agree, bunyan. The 40 percent number is a problem."------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He actually said 20 - 40 percent. So somewhere in that range. Which is why I said "up to" 40 percent. I would not be surprised if it were in that range. But I am sure it is way above the level of the general population, and that is a problem, I think.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's silly, but scripturally wrong? Local autonomy says a church is allowed to make such rules, even if we find them to be silly. Paul was single, and had no problem with it. I don't think forbidding someone to marry makes them a homosexual. In fact, I suspect that evidence to that end is rather lacking.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't know about "must". I think they should.

This is where I must give them some credit. They have indeed defrocked many priests for sexual immorality. However, many priests have yet to be expelled from the priesthood, for which I am equally critical.

Again, the concept of autonomy dictates that a church may place such rules in effect even if we think they're silly.
    I don't know about that. Again, Paul wasn't married, and he seemed to be a bit of an expert. My own wife and I had premarital counseling, and the person conducting it was single. Many Baptist pastors are single, and are capable of giving counsel to the flock on topics of marriage.

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I don't think that CMG is saying forbbiding a preist to marry makes them gay. I think he is saying that forbbiding marriage will select for homosexual's above heterosexuals. I would agree this is the root of the problem. I think what would go throug a homosexual's mind is something like, " I am a good Catholic, so I can't give in to my desire, and becasue I am homosexual I don't want to marry, so I will just be a prist and forget about sex and marriage. Whereas on the other hand heterosexuals are scared away by the celebacy non marriage rule.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bunyon, John likes to split hairs. This problem is at least 500 years old and John says that they should do something but that the word "must" do something is a little too strong. I think that he wants to wait another 500 years before he thinks of insisting on anything being done anytime soon--right, John?

I think that all St. Paul said was that it is neither good nor bad to be married or to be unmarried. I don't think that St. Paul tried to pass himself off as an expert on the issue of birth control inside marriage.

And, of course, Bunyon, John knows that no one except him ever even thought of the idea that forbidding a priest to marry makes him a sodomite. The Catholic Church, Bunyon, does not want married priests because of the expense in supporting wives and children and giving them property or salaries. You build an empire by using people forbidden to have families and by using people dedicated to leaving any and all property to the Catholic Church upon death. Therefore, the Catholic Church has a massive palace and priceless art museum in the Vatican and has huge expensive buildings and real estate holdings worldwide.

And the Lavendar Mafia gets away with child abuse because the Catholic Church says that the priest is outside the law.

13. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I think Johnv, disagrees with the Nonmarriage rule. He is just saying that the Bible does not forbid the CC from having such a rule if they want. But I agree, it is a crazy rule that does not work and appraently weakens the preisthood. And I think after the child abuse scandals (I dont think homosexuals abuse children) they should be willing to examine and change the situation. I suspect that the same things that select for the influx of homosexuals also selects for pedaphiles. Scary.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'd hardly call being specific as splitting hairs. There's a huge difference between "should" and "must".

ut he did say it was good to be single.

:confused:

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Exactly my point.
    You make an excellent point. Pedophiles are vastly heterosexual, not homosexual. These two distinct and separate issues need to be dealth with, but there iis nothing to infere any relation between the two, not even in the priesthood.

Of interest is that the issue of homosexuality doesn't seem to be present in other celibate orders, such as buddhist monks or hindu gurus. This does indeed appear to be an issue unique to the pristhood of the Catholic Church. Still, I think the 20-40% estimation seems a bit high. But imo, if it were 10-15%, that is sufficient concern.

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, you get the award for being the most syncretistical.

It is good to be married and it is good not to be married, ok, John?

The Lavender Mafia is not pedophiles but open homosexuals who molest teenage boys after they have reached the age of puberty. The term for that is ephebophilia (or hebephilia).

But here is where you are dead wrong, John, when you write, "I think it's silly, but scripturally wrong? Local autonomy says a church is allowed to make such rules, even if we find them to be silly." It is more than silly because it is wrong to forbid a priest to marry because there is no Scriptural basis. It is a great abuse, which you want to reduce to an absurdity and say that unlike you it is merely immoderate.

17. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

The Catholic church has more problems than just homosexual priests, although I think that's huge.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Inaccurate, but good word usage [​IMG]

Of course it's good to marry. However, Paul says it is good to be single, also. It doesn't appear that scripture as a whole commands marriage of all people.

Good point. Still, hebephiles tend to, again, be heterosexial, not homosexual. I think, though, that this issue should seriously be looked at by the RCC.

There is no scriptural basis for many things, but they're still subject to autonomy. Many churches require a masters level degree for ordination. Is it wrong just because there's no scriptural basis for this? Hardly.

19. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Both of these answers are correct:

Even one homosexual priest is a problem

[​IMG] The Catholic Church is apostate, end of story (my choice)