1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Jun 6, 2011.

?

Is homosexuality a sin?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2011.
  1. Yes

96.4%
  2. No

3.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them, having, in the same way as these, given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire.

Homosexuality is a very hot topic in this world we live in today. I do not know a great deal about the subject but it appears that it is running loose in our Government today. For a few years in the recent past, every time I turned around it seemed like another Congressman or Senator had been caught in the act, one in a Public Restroom. The, perhaps, 2 percent of the population, calling themselves Gay, I can understand why they dislike me. I am constantly in contested conversation with them but then, not as often as I seem to be in these conversations with people that have named the Name of Christ for themselves.

To many this will seem to go off topic but I assure you, it is the point. People ask me, can a homosexual male of female be saved and I always answer, ¨Sure, if they repent of their behavior and agree to keep the Commands of their Savior, Jesus, the Christ!¨ The popular but, totally, wrong ¨opinion¨ about scripture is that the New Testament has replaced and made void the Old Testament! And of course the Ten Commandments are trashed along with this misconception. If we, God´s people, will just take the time to read the Bible to know God we will find Godly Wisdom purveys in our lives because of it.

I find it often said that the people, honestly, believe that the New Testament does not deal with the subject and therefore is no longer a sin. Further, I have no idea where this comes from but these folks elevate Paul over God and, incorrectly, state that Paul never taught against it. The last portion of Romans 1, written by Paul, deals exclusively with the subject and here we have Jude dealing with the matter. In the Law, in Lev. 20:13 we see the commandment, by Jesus, in the Old Testament that deals with the matter. (To deal with what I just said read John 1:1-3.)

We do not hear this subject preached much today because the Homosexual Subculture is filled with, monetarily, rich people and numbers have become more important than Spiritual truth in the Church today. In Matt. 5:17 we find Jesus teaching that He has not done away with the Law, in fact every unsaved man or woman will be judged under the Law! And while a Saved Man is not under the Law, neither does he or she try to be disobedient to their Master!

So, let´s see if we can understand all of this in light of the scriptures. In Romans 3:10 & 23 we see that everyone of us has sinned and fallen short of the desired mark. Then we get to a verse such as 1John 5:18 and we are told that a Saved Man, sineth not and so there needs to be an explanation. (Hold tight, I´m not off subject.) I often have folks object when I tell them that the Bible is all of one context and no single scripture or group of scriptures can be understood without the light of all other scripture but this is a true statement and this is a good example of why. What we have here is a changed Life Style!

When I was a lost man I carefully laid plans for Friday and Saturday nights. I planned to sin! As soon as I was overcome by the Spirit, the Pentecostals call it Baptized in the Spirit, I no longer had a plan to sin. Did I sin? Yes, I fell into sin from time to time but each time I repented until I reached the state I´m in now and I seldom stumble today. It takes practice! The same is true for the Homosexual man or woman. If they intentionally live a life, contrary to the Word of God, they are no0t and never were saved. To see what I´m talking about search for Dennis Jernigan with the Google search engine and read His testimony.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul is Clear About this Sin...

See Romans 1:26-27. In fact verses 16-32 are clear about all forms of sin, and God's waning patience. He will sooner, than later, turn them all over to their own selfish beliefs and sins, and let them proceed down the highway to hell!

That day will come, I kid you not!

If a homosexual repents (in the Greek it means to turn and go in the opposite direction from where they were headed) and returns to the narrow path, that Jesus spoke about in Matthew 7:13-14, they will be able to enter through the narrow gate of Heaven.

Great question. I hope you get some other feedback and opinions.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a cousin who was "that" way. Back in 1964 a car hit him which caused his death at the Baltimore Airport. The only one I am aware of in the family.

To me, the condition is an addiction to a perversion.

On the same order as one addicted to alcohol, drugs, or any of the other numerous addictive possibilities out there in the world. If they so desire they can turn their lives around..., and some do.

4. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Absolutely, positively, 100% accurate that homosexuals can be saved and can go to Heaven just like you and I. They must do like all of us did: Repent, Confess, and Believe. Just like any other sin God will take care of the desire to sin after salvation. Just like any other sin it may be a struggle to overcome, but Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

I'm always interested in the "How about the Christian that chooses to become a homosexual? Can they still go to Heaven?" I have a childhood friend that married, has two children (they're grown now), but about 10 years into his marriage decided he was gay, divorced his wife, moved to another state and is living in homosexuality. He still says he's a Christian but that this is how God made him and he's content in his choice. What do you think about this scenario? Is he saved? Can a Christian live in continual unrepentant sin and still go to Heaven?

5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question DL.

It would seem to me that if he was truly saved to begin with and then threw his fist up to heaven and walked away from God..., he stands in a good position to get "runned over" by a cement truck. If he was never truly saved to begin with then he's on his own.

You know, many godly men and women fall from time to time.

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Funny thing is, he doesn't think he's walked away from God. He's active in his local church (they welcome homosexuals) and does not believe there's anything wrong in what he's doing. He says he's been faithful to his partner of these many, many years and that God is blessing them. I have two cousins who are of like opinion (they were raised Catholic) and are still active in their church. They honestly do not believe their lifestyle is sin. One of my cousins married his partner and they've adopted a child. They're upstanding citizens, not flaming liberals and by looking at them would never know they're gay. It just makes me wonder

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who would vote that homosexuality is not a sin - when they MUST have read the Bible???

Homosexuality is a sin. Clear and simple. It's the same as any other sin. I do not believe we need to stop doing every sin we've done in the past in order to be saved but I do believe that for those who have lived this lifestyle, they can be saved and God will work in them. It may always be a struggle for them just as the rest of us struggle with particular sin. But God is good and can give us strength in our struggles. We CAN overcome because of Him. So one can be saved without having to first change their lifestyle but in their new life, they will work to turn away from it.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Daughter is a Lesbian!

I don't know exactly how this happened, because she was brought up a Christian. She confessed Jesus at age six, and was baptized.

However, a divorce took her away from me (her mom, brother, and she lived in Texas) I lived in Nebraska and California. My wife refused to let me see the kids. She demanded I come to Texas to see them at their home on weekends. The cost was prohibited at the time with child support being paid. I was barely making a go of it myself

She tells me that she is a Christian, who has a spirit guide from the Cherokee nation, and turns me off when I attempt to broach the subject.

All I can do is pray for her, and believe that God will one day send someone into her life to get her straightened out.

Please pray with me on this, as I hate to see her lost to sin.

I do believe that this sin is one of the perverse addictions, fed by selfish pleasure and lust. I find it hard to believe that God created some homosexual. That is not in His Word, and I know. He doesn't create "junk!"

Pastor Paul :type:

#8 righteousdude2, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh Paul - What a burden for you!! I will be praying that God would step into her life in a big way. Unfortunately, that sometimes needs to come the hard way but God is faithful. I'm sorry for your pain.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    those who are found in verse 9-10 are not in the kingdom

those who God cleanses...vs11-12.....are in the Kingdom

such WERE some of you.......not such ARE some of you

11. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Road To Wrath

Romans 1:18 states, "the wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth …"

Theologians have termed this present age in which we live as the "age of God's grace". Although God's grace is available for us to step into upon repentance and trust in Him, He has not laid aside His standards of justice. That's why we still must repent of our sin. In Romans 1:18 and following, Paul says that men suppress the truth that God is the Creator of all things. Such suppression of truth leads men to do as they please because they think they have no greater authority than themselves. For this reason, even in the age of grace, God's wrath can be directed towards those He considers as wicked.

Paul points out a two step progression on the road to wrath. The first step is our "suppression" of the truth that God is Creator of all things. Paul says in verse 18 that men knew God was Creator but now hide this fact. In verse 21 he says that we "knew God" but now "we don't glorify Him as God". In verse 25 he states, "they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, … and serve created things rather than the Creator". Finally, in verse 28 he says that men no longer "think it is worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God". That should hit home with us who live in the western world because that is exactly what we have done.

Much of our society in the west has been built on the acknowledgment that the God of the Bible created all things and therefore we are ultimately subject to Him. Thanks to Charles Darwin, and liberal theologians of the 1800's who removed all supernatural content from the Bible, the west has slowly removed the knowledge of God from life and society. We've exchanged the truth of Creation for the lie of evolution. For this reason, the second step towards wrath has taken place in the western world.

Because men have not retained the knowledge of God as Creator as seen in verses 24, 26, and 28, God "gives men over" to the sinful lifestyle they have chosen for themselves. Simply put, God steps back from us, and with hands raised in resignation, says, "if that's how you want to live, go ahead; just beware of the consequences".

Paul speaks of one particular sin that God hands men over to after they have rejected God as Creator. Verses 24 to 27 state this sin to be homosexuality. I know it's not socially correct to point this out, but that's what this passage states. I merely repeat the Biblical stance on the issue. At creation, God created male and female. (Genesis 1:27) "For this reason, a man shall leave his father and mother and be united with his (female) wife, and they shall become one flesh". (Genesis 2:4)

Darwin, liberal theologians, and others, began the slide away from retaining God as Creator in our thinking in the 19th century. This process continued in all areas of life in the 20th century. In government, law, education, finance, and the rest of life, we have progressively and systematically removed the knowledge of God as Creator from our communal consciousness. Paul was right. The rise of the homosexual life style follows the acceptance of the lie of evolution. That seems quite evident to me.

>From the rise of the homosexual lifestyle other sins have become part of the western experience. Paul lists a few in verse 29. The first two he mentions are, greed and depravity. Was it really the falling house prices that caused this last recession, or was it pure greed found in the depraved minds of those who sat in their luxurious financial office towers?

Paul adds more sins to this list. They are; envy, murder, strife, deceitfulness, malice, gossip, slandering, God hating, insolent, arrogance, boastfulness, disobedient to parents, senselessness, (I find that one interesting) faithlessness, heartlessness, and ruthlessness. I think I can safely say that I recognize those trends in the western world today.

Paul ends Romans 1 with a very relevant statement. He says, "they not only continue to do these things (above sins) but also approve of those who practice them". If that's not relevant, I don't know what is. People have always committed the sins Paul lists, but now, we not only commit these sins, we approve of them by passing laws that legalize and encourage these sins. Of course our society doesn't recognize such sins as homosexuality to be sin. Why should they, when they have not retained the knowledge of the Biblical God in their thinking?

So what comes next? I simply quote the verse I started with. "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven". God has shut down nations and civilizations before. I'm sure He's not afraid to do it again for those on the road to wrath.

--
    Jeff
    www.finalharvestministries.net
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqsTdIlBlk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6HM-6R6-RI

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please read the sticky thread above all the thread titles in each forum:

For this reason the thread will be closed.
    As the note indicates if you wish to discuss the subject please start a thread in a private men/women's forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.