1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hornbeck forced to help in Ownby kidnapping

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this what Bill OReilly was hoping for? In his mind, maybe, but in real life no. Police reports indicate that Shawn Hornbeck was "forced", their words not mine, to grab Ben Ownby and push him into the truck. This, along with the "freedoms" Shawn Hornbeck was "given", prove what I have said all along. This child was brainwashed and threatened. Police say Hornbeck will not be charged. They suspect Devlin made some sort of deal with Hornbeck to get him to go along with the kidnapping of Ownby.

SOURCE

Edit to add:

Let's also keep in mind, before the media hysteria starts, that police and prosecutors have known about this. I doubt this is "news" to them. If they believe Hornbeck was acting out of fear (threats) or because of being brainwashed then they will not hold him accountable for being involved. Nor should they.

#1 Martin, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some good thoughts from the truecrimes blog...

My Note:

While I think it maybe going "a bit" far to accuse O'Reilly of being a NAMBLA supporter, the points made above are still good ones. This news is not news to anyone who knows anything about how these type of crimes work (yes both Hornbeck and Ownby are victims of crime). It is even possible, though this has not been mentioned, that Devlin used a different victim to kidnap Hornbeck in '02. I am sure the police are looking into these things and will take the correct actions. Hornbeck will need years of counseling just to get close to returning to normal, even then he may never reach that goal. The years of 11 to 15 are very important in the human development and those years have been messed up for Shawn Hornbeck. We don't know how bad his brain has been messed up but if this story is true it may indicate that this boy was in really bad shape mentally/emotionally. It also explains why Devlin allowed Hornbeck some freedoms. He knew he had him under complete control. Sad, very sad. What is worse some don't seem to understand that.

#2 Martin, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The argument is a NAMBLA enabler, although I doubt if O'Reilly gave much thought to the implications or even the truthfulness of his argument.

It's not his way.

4. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

O'Reilly never said the kid was complicit in his own kidnapping but that kids life with the kidnappers could have been better than what he had at home. There are some kids with some pretty miserable lives, even in our country, maybe this will bring that to light. Bottom line is the child needs some serious counseling and to quit having the media hound him, and the kidnapper, Devlin, should be executed swiftly. Here is exactly what O'Reilly said that got him in so much hotwater. I do not agree with it, but I also think those who hate O'Reilly (and there are many because he exposes the left for what they are) are taking this way out of context to cast aspersions and get rid of him once and for all.
    "...The situation here, for this kid, looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his 'old' parents. He didn't have to go to school, he could run around and do whatever he wanted, ... And I think, when it all comes down, what's gonna happen is, there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances".

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==This is very true. It is my understanding, from the story linked above, that Hornbeck is now in counseling. I doubt the media will leave this story alone however. It is interesting and, I imagine, Shawn Hornbeck will appear on Larry King within a year. His parents have done a good work helping the parents of other missing children and I hope their good works continue.

==I have commented on this already so I will not repeat myself here. I did watch OReilly's segment on this latest development last night. I watched it because I was curious if he was going to proclaim himself a prophet of some sort. However, to his credit, he did not. His tone was very different. He implied that he believe(s) that Hornbeck was abused and manipulated during the four years. Of course that is true but why OReilly is just now figuring this out is beyond me. On this point OReilly dug his own hole and, for that, I am not giving him any more of my ratings. However I will keep up with his comments on this case.

As for Hornbeck's home life not being good. Well, of course, I have no way of knowing anything about that. However I doubt his homelife was so bad that he would rather be kidnapped at gun point, abused, manipulated, and held hostage for four very long years. In both the original press conference and during the Oprah interview he seem thrilled to be with his parents.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to sources police have shown photos of a 17 year old boy to the parents of Arlin Henderson, who vanished at age 11 in 1991. The boy in the photo looks enough like Henderson to have investigators wondering if it could be him. According to the report a person who knew Michael Devlin, and provided police with the picture in question, believed at the time that the teenager was a friend of Devlin's. However now they, and the police, suspect there may have been more to the story. The parents of Arlin Henderson say the teenager in the picture (from around '97) could indeed be their son. However they are not getting their hopes up at this point. After all Henderson vanished in '91 and this picture was from '97. So it would be hard to tell if this is indeed a picture of Henderson six years after he vanished.

If this report turns out to be true then Shawn Hornbeck was not the first victim of Michael Devlin. Indeed if the report is true then Devlin had done this before (which would not be a surprise to experts and the police). How many times he "may" have done this before is what is so frightening. What is even more frightening is this: If the teenager in the photos are of Arlin Henderson in 1997, where is he now? Did Devlin use Henderson, or another victim, to help kidnap Hornbeck (as he used Hornbeck to help kidnap Ownby)? This is like a horror movie that keeps getting worse and worse. This Devlin monster needs to be executed asap. However before they do that they need to work around the clock to find out how many victims of this monster are out there (alive or dead). Once that is done they need to send this monster to his eternal fate.

STORY

#6 Martin, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007