1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hosea

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PrimePower7, Dec 29, 2006.

1. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I am teaching a Sunday School Class through Hosea. I want to answer questions are likely to want the answers to.

Could some folks out there read verse 1 of Hosea chapter 1 and determine some good interpretive questions one might have being unfamiliar with this book, or more specifically, 1:1?

Thanks

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Hosea 1:1?

Seems to be pretty straight forward . . .

Are you asking about historical issues?

3. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Anything in verse 1 that will provoke questions.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What in this verse do you believe will 'excite' questions?

To me the first verse is very clear. There is some background to this, but interpretation of the verse I expect to be straight forward: God spoke to Hosea when "Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah" were kings in Judah and in Israel Jeroboam was king.

God spoke to Hosea.

5. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hello,
    I suppose questions like "Why were these kings mentioned"? "What else was going on at this time with these kings"?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The Kings were often mentioned within middle eastern cultures as we would say, "In 1945, Germany was defeated." Since years were not tied to a calender as it is in our culture - naming Kings showed respect for the powers that be and when something happened.

Hope that helps.

Wayne

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about what the word "Hosea" means? (salvation)

What common phrase is shared in the first couple verses with each of these other prophets? Why is this important...and what does it mean? How do we receive the "word of the Lord" today?

Hos 1:1 The word of the LORD that came to Hosea son of Beeri during the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and of Jeroboam son of Joash, king of Israel.

Jer 1:2
    The word of the LORD came to him in the thirteenth year of the reign of Josiah son of Amon, king of Judah.

Eze 1:3 the word of the LORD came directly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the Chebar Canal. And the LORD's hand was on him there.

Joe 1:1 The word of the LORD that came to Joel son of Pethuel:

Jon 1:1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai:

Mic 1:1 The word of the LORD that came to Micah the Moreshite--what he saw regarding Samaria and Jerusalem in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.

Zep 1:1 The word of the LORD that came to Zephaniah son of Cushi, son of Gedaliah, son of Amariah, son of Hezekiah, in the days of Josiah son of Amon, king of Judah.

Hag 1:3 The word of the LORD came through Haggai the prophet:

Zec 1:1 In the eighth month, in the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came to the prophet Zechariah son of Berechiah, son of Iddo:

Mal 1:1 An oracle: The word of the LORD to Israel through Malachi.

#7 webdog, Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

There is a lot in this 1st verse. The key word as I see it is "came".

The word Came to Hosea, which again shows who does the seeking. God reaches out to mankind, not the other way around.

Notice also it is the "word" that came. This is a hint of Christ. (John 1:1)

Notice also it was the Word of the LORD. LORD of the Covenant, YAHWEH. He is the God that keeps his Word. YAHWEH Binds Himself with a covenant with His people.

Notice also Our LORD came to the common man. Hosea was not a mighty King. Just a ordinary Joe. Again, showing the ways of God.

Hosea father be-e'-ri means "expounder"....which I think is interesting. Hosea means salvation as webdog has noted. The book of Hosea is like a play. Hosea is the main actor, and is a picture of Christ. The book really expoundeds on salvation by Christ with Hosea buying Gomer from the slave market of sin.

In Christ...James

#8 Jarthur001, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Had to go and throw a calvinist twist on it, huh? :) Hosea (along with the other prophets) were elected to be prophets, delivering the message of God to His intended audience...nothing more, nothing less should be read into that verse, Primepower7.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I see nothing in that about Calvin/Arminian argument. "No man comes to me unless the Father draws him" is true in either case. "We love Him because He first loved us". God does the reaching first in either argument.

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Webdog....just what did I add to the text?

12. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hey, seriously, I have one day left as I finish up my lesson. Let's save the Calvinism thing for a different thread, can we?

You guys have given me some good nuggets. ANything else from verse 1?

By the way, Beeri, from the sources I have means "My fountain"

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Another source...
    http://www.studylight.org/enc/isb/view.cgi?number=T1274

I have taught this book 2 times. Each time I go with the "play" idea. This seems to work the best for me.

I idea thought I gave on the name of Beeri, is nothing other then something to thank about. If we limit our look into just one verse, we must pull all we can out of it. You asked about the Kings. The kings and the father are there just to distinguish what Hosea it is addressing.

The next verse we see..GO. God CAME to man...and said GO. Wow...lets preach on that for a while. :)

Now what God asked Hasea to do....did not jive. "take thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms"...
    But at times this happens to all of us. At Times God does not make sense. Still..we are told to GO!!

i

#13 Jarthur001, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006