1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hospitality to single people/parents

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Peggy, Mar 1, 2010.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If you feel like your church doesn't reach out to single parents well enough, then do something about it. I'm sure the leadership at your church would have no problem with you starting a single parents ministry. Why is it that people complain about things that don't exist, yet aren't willing to do anything about it?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: :praying:

Those who have something to do find a way
    Others find an excuse

3. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Well, I have tried and was given the brush off.

4. matt wade

Well, if you are offering to start a ministry to a neglected people group within your church and the leadership won't let you do so, I'd find out the reasons why. Depending on what they say, it might be time to locate a new church.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry to hear that.

From you church website:
    "...is not a building, it’s a family! Once you’ve had a chance to visit us, we’d love to invite you to be a part of our community. We believe firmly in the principle that every member is a minister! From homegroups to missions trips, from leadership teams to nursery, there are all sorts of ways to truly immerse yourself in the Cedarhome family."

It appears your church is a good size. I don't understand why they would not want a singles group.

One thing to consider is that maybe God is closing the door at that church to prepare another church for you.

Of course on the other hand, is it possible that some of the elders (married) only think you are trying to set up a match making group? Obviously, I am not suggesting that is your intent. Maybe you could consider speaking to an trusted & sympathetic elder and his wife; sharing your vision for the church and the ministry to the singles saved and unsaved in you community.

Salty

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

That man is an idiot.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    off subject, but maybe in the past he has seen such a problem.
    That is the reason we need to get to the root of problems before we make a judgement.

Likewise with Peggy, she needs to find out why the church has balked at a singles ministry.

Salty

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Everything Salty said so well!

And then this to consider: why is it the married couple's responsibility to do the inviting? Or is it that singles don't want to cook?? :) LOL!

Seriously, before dh retired we moved a lot due to his job. And sometimes his job kept him gone for weeks at a time....making me a sort of almost single parent.

I soon learned that if I wanted to get to know someone, I could always ask them over to OUR place for dinner rather than wait for an invite.

Some will come, some won't, but no need to hang back and wait.

As to church's using the term "a family church", I never understood that as a church FOR families, but rather as a church that IS family.

It would seem to me that concept would draw singles who are lonely, not repel them.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in my some of my single days, I lived in a boarding house. We were not even allowed to have a fridge, let alone a stove.

But you do make a good point - if you can, invite a married couple over (that way - the cant invite someone over to "set you up" with you!

Salty

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ron and I worked with singles for about 10 years. It was a ton of fun and I made lifelong friends in that group - even as the only married woman. I am thinking though that I have lots of single friends mixed in with all the married ones. I do think the thing is to be friendly to the people that God places in your path. Friendships may well grow. For many years we invited numerous people over for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but these were not usually the first time we had them over - they'd been in our house before. (Martin wouldn't have to worry about being set up IOW. ;) )

11. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.

I will dig a little deeper and find out what the back-story is about the lack of a singles ministry at the church. Maybe they were burned in the past... I'm not sure.

God bless you all!

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Because of prejudice against singles, it is often assumed that we cannot be trusted simply because they have seen, heard of, or experienced a single man who was inappropriate in his behavior.

However, what about the married men and women who are inappropriate in their behavior?

(1) There was the man who approached me one time (I didn't know him) lamenting on his failed attempts at getting a woman (any woman) to spend the night with him. Let's just suffice it to say he was at a place where he shouldn't have been without his wife, and she didn't know he was there.

(2) There was the man in my church in Michigan who spent several years in prison for molesting his own little boy.

(3) There was the man who molested his daughter and neighbor girls--including mine. The last I knew he was in prison where he belongs. However, prison doesn't usually cure these perverts. They just do it again when they get out.

(4) There was my sister's husband who "had my wife" to put it as politely as I can. Of course, it wasn't entirely his fault. He told me once that he couldn't turn down any woman, and she gave hseself to any man who would have her.

The list goes on of the married men and women who cheated on their husbands and/ or molested children, and yet it's the singles who are prejudiced against and not trusted--especially the men. People are more apt to feel sorry for a woman but seldom for a man.

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Or don't know how. People are always surprised to find that I am a better-than-average cook and baker--something I learned from my mother. I was a LOT closer to her than my dad.

I have invited people many times to my home for dinner, and they have always had one excuse or another--so I took the hint and quit inviting. If I had a wife or even a girlfriend (neither of which I want), I have no doubt I could get all kinds of people to come. I can't even get single men to come; they probably think I'm interested in them. :laugh:

Unfortunately, people will too often judge and condemn an entire nationality, all singles, or whatever because of ONE bad experience. A woman has a bad experience with a man--so ALL men are no good. A man has a bad experience with a woman--so ALL women are not good, or they're only good for one thing. Someone gets cheated by someone--so EVERYONE of that nationality is no good.

Humans tend to generalize and put everyone into one catagory--like the catagory that says that NO single man can be trusted--simply because he's single. If he's no good as a single, how does getting married change that?

#33 Jon-Marc, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
  14. Peggy

Peggy New Member

I avoid women's retreats because the leader always alludes to husbands, how to be a better wife, etc, and the women all talk about "my husband this, and my husband that".

I'm on the outside looking in at a whole culture that I'm not a part of. It's not their fault, but it is painful to realize that I'm in a distinct and forgotten minority.

One time I was at an afternoon gathering where women just started complaining mightily about their husbands - about stupid things - and I have to admit I lost my temper and told them they were darn lucky to have a husband, especially a husband that supported them so they wouldn't have to work outside the home.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is my Singles sob story:

After a concert (which I help bring to the Salt City) several of us, including the performers, went out to a diner for an after concert fellowship.

Booth space was limited, so one person would have to sit in the aisle. One "intelligent" man said, "Let the single guy sit there" After about 10 minutes, I said I had to leave, because, I had to get up early in the morning.

That was many years ago, and it still hurts. :tear:

16. matt wade

I don't understand why that should hurt. I'm guessing the other people were married couples? Isn't only right and proper that the married couples, sit with their spouses? You, being the single person, are the logical person to sit in the aisle seat.

17. Peggy

Peggy New Member

That's what I'm talking about!

18. matt wade

Don't get it...I've been married and single (obviously) and I would have taken no offense at being asked to sit in the aisle seat if I was the only single person there.

Do you expect to sit between husbands and wives in the movie theater as well?

19. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Come on, Matt.

What we are talking about is this subtle disrespect for single/divorced people in the church.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

from reading this thread, I can see in some churches there is a real problem, and in some cases theres nothing real to it, it's only perceived, looking for offense because of being single, seems a lot of singles are wanting to make a big case of it even when it doesn't exist. I mean husbands and wives sitting together as a family is a problem only to singles it appears, why? I'm not sitting apart from my husband just to satisfy someone else. Some people just need to get over it. Look at saggywoman, she's fine with being single, no excuses blaming it on someone else.