1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hospitality to single people/parents

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Peggy, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt, that story hurt me just reading it.

What's hurtful about it is that the married guy didn't give the single person enough credit for knowing that he should sit in aisle seat. He had to point it out and say it outloud.

It's bad enough when you go to a restaurant and sit at a table for an even number of people and you are the 3rd, 5th, or 7th wheel, but to have a married person assume that you don't know your place is hurtful.

I'm 48 and I have married friends and a few single friends. I know my place. I know the events that I can attend with my married friends and the ones that I can't.

All we ask is that married people give us enough credit to know. I'm sure that Salty would not have sat between two married people. He didn't need to be told what to do. That's the point he was making.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

When the pastor gets on the subject of marriage, I tune out. I've been married and divorced twice and have no intention of making that mistake again; I've learned my lesson. It's better to be single and unhappy than married and even more unhappy.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peggy, I speak at a lot of women's conferences. In fact, I am leading one next week. They've asked me to speak on Philippians.

I alway tailor my conferences TO the married woman. Not exclusively. But I have to be realistic. The majority of them are married. I do purposely include single, divorced, and widowed because this population in the church is growing by leaps and bounds.

But I have to "think" like a married woman when I prepare for these presentations or else, me, being single, will forget and exclude them.

Been there, done that, worn out the tee-shirt.

I can't stand it when married women come to me and complain about their husbands. Usually it's either (a) something that they should let go or (b) something that they should be talking to HIM about.

If I had a nickel for every time I have told a complaining married woman to "be grateful that you have a husband and go home and tend to your marriage and let your husband know that you are hurting in this area", I could take you and I to lunch.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's disrespect for a married couple to expect a single person to allow them to sit together? No..sorry, I believe it is disrespect for a single person to think that the married couple should be separated.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As stated before, I had no intention of sitting between two married people. But a wife could sit in the aisle and still be next to her husband.

Salty

6. matt wade

And then we'd have a post about how men disrespect women and make them sit in the aisle, rather than this current post about how married people disrespect single people.

Give me a break...some people read way too much into things.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

and you don't read enough
    or - the two of us men were large, the wife was petite - and it was a small diner....

or maybe, it was just the attitute...

Salty

8. matt wade

Oh, now you've done it. You are disrespecting married women that are petite! PMWA (Petite Married Women of America) will be sending you cease and desist letters soon.

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Salty...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sure you *really* felt (((welcome))) at that point.

Wow. Thats all I can say.

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I rededicated my life to Christ, I was a divorced mother of two and grandmother of two. I was never excluded from church functions unless it was something like the Sweetheart Banquet, which is obviously a couples function. But I never forced myself into anything, since I am so adamantly against anything that resembles the world's behavior - i.e. demands of equal rights, discrimination, harrassment, other complaints that have been blanket coveralls. We had a singles class when there were enough singles to warrant it. Right now we don't, and the singles go to the adult Sunday School class.

I am married since Sept of 2006. God put a special man in my life, and I didn't ask God for him, but I know I needed him, and that's why God put him here. 3 months after we were married, I was diagnosed with cancer.
    My husband had lost his first wife of 37 years to cancer, so he was the best caretaker ever.