1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hostility between the brethren.....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Butterflies4mami, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Butterflies4mami

Butterflies4mami New Member

Well, I know I am not a Preacher or anything, and being a woman I don't mean to sound critical or out of my place, but.....
    It seems to me that there are not only some nasty things being said, but with very HATEFUL hearts.
    This whole your not a fund. if ... you do not live like I do, use the same Bible I do, etc. etc. is making me sick!!
    I have never seen such hateful and degrading things being said among the BRETHREN!
    What especially pushed me over the edge is simply this: The folks that are saying these hurtful and things full of HATE are people who live like I do ( speaking of PERSONAL standards).Knowing this, I hope I will not be lumped in the group that spouts high ideals and living Godly, only to # cause brethren to stumble, #2 evidently not loving one another, because you cannot love your brethren if you have hate in your heart against those that disagree with you ( How can both sweet & bitter water come forth from the same spout?)
    YES, I live a seperated life! Why ? Some things I do or do not do is based on Bible verses. Some things I do or do not do because I DESIRE to set myself as far apart from the world as I can! I want to be as close to Christ as I can in my daily walk w/ Him! In order to do this, I set up certain GUIDLINES for my self, a lot of the time I take personal standards to " the next level" for my own good!
    Ok... all I am saying is this: PLEASE do not give me & other Christians a bad name that live Godly simply because you cannot accept that everyone is different! You will not come on this board and " set everyone straight" ESPECIALLY, with an ugly spirit, all you are succeeding in is giving me, and other Christians a BAD NAME!
    BTW, I do not back down or apologize for my PERSONAL convictions and/or standards! Example: I do not wear pants. Why? Bible and Personal. Where do I draw the line? Where the Bible does!?! But wait, trhe Bible doesn't draw a line! :confused: So, just because I don't wear skirts any higher than mid-calf doesn't make my Sister in Christ that wears one 2 in. under her knee or wears pants any less Godly than I! We are all Sinners! The ONLY difference in me and someone on thier way to Hell is the shed blood of CHRIST!
    In Christ,
    Peggy
    Is. 6:8 [​IMG]

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Peggy,

I for one appreciate yoru spirit. In spite of the judgement of others my family as well has standards. My wife does not wear trousers, we do not listen to rock music, we do not go to dances, do not drink or smoke, etc. Why? Because we have chosen what we feel to be standards based on the principles of the Word of God. Others see standards differently, that is their freedom in Christ. Unless they are clearly violating scripture I cannot judge them.

Thanks for your thoughtful words,
    Roger

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Very well put!

4. Walls

Walls New Member

Yes, I would have to agree also. I am all for living seperately and trying to live as godly as possible. But it took me a while to get here. We all grow and develop in different stages. I think the thing that is important is for those who do, not to look down on those that don't, meanwhile those that don't, shouldn't look down on those that do. Christ gives us liberty and if He does, shouldn't the brethern?

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peggy, That was very well put rebuke. I only hope that I can apply it as ably as you made it. None of these cat fights are one-sided. It is my sincere desire to be introspective and never be more critical of another or their views than I am myself or my own.

God Bless You.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Therefore let us not judge one another anymore" whether in harsh criticism or syruppy sweetness.

These are DEBATE forums. We will always have strong, opposing views. If someone takes umbrage at a position I hold, I invite and encourage them to "nail me to the wall" or "hold my feet to the fire."

If I want fellowship and don't say anything harsh about people who hold WRONG doctrine or practice, I spend time in the FELLOWSHIP forums.

BTW, if folks don't like to debate, attack, strip down arguments then you don't belong on any of the forums in this Debate category.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Surely Dr B you are not defending the attacking of persons that has been going on here of late?
    Debate attacks views, not persons. Debate does not say things like "Your questions are stupid." Or do I misunderstand debate?

8. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I seem to be tested everywhere I go and in everything I do and say. God seems to grade me and hand me my paper back faster than my favorite math teacher did in High School.

Dave. [​IMG]

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Personal attacks are not to be tolerated and should be edited or deleted by the moderator of any particular forum...However, moderators cannot be expected to read every post, so please help us out by 'blowing the whistle' and bringing offensive posts to our attention.

Thanks!
    [​IMG] §ue

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the "sins" thread on this forum, I am attacked 5 separate times. I would ask to allow the new member's posts to stand, as I answered them.

I tried to be gracious to him/her in the reply. But when someone spits in your face, your argument back might see saliva flying!!

I agree with the reminder to "debate the issue" not the poster. Hard task some days! [​IMG]

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Dr Bob,

I for one appreciate your general spirit. I just read the diatribe against you on the other thread and enjoyed your response! I knew you did not mean what it sounded like above.

Would love to meet one day if you ever decide to visit your ancestral homeland!

Roger

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't say that too loud. The bride is ANXIOUS to travel to Ireland and Wales . . so that day may not be far off!

And if you're ever in heaven, er, Wyoming, let's do lunch! [​IMG]

13. Singleman

Singleman New Member

I certainly applaud healthy debate. It can keep the mind sharp. But calling into doubt the salvation of those who disagree with us is neither healthy nor constructive. We don't all practice our faith in exactly the same way, or mature at exactly the same rate. Besides that, logical fallacies abound around here, and calm reasoning is in short supply. Since I don't have the time, resources or patience to handle this sort of argumentation, I mostly avoid the debate forums.
    [​IMG]

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to Shiloh? Did he decide to quit in spite of his assurances to the contrary or is he on unpaid administrative leave?