1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hot Stove League

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Miggy in left is a possibility, but he needs to shed a few more pounds (word has it he has already lost 15 this offseason). His weight concerns me. Miggy could play LF against lefties (benching Jones and put Inge at 3B) and then play 3B against righties.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Tigers will trade Sheffield for good bullpen arm(s). Then Miggy is the DH. Man, DH at age 24 - that's pretty sad. Of course, if you shed Sheff, then the lineup becomes less intimidating. But pitching and defense wins championships.

#21 Andy T., Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The Marlins are really a joke at this point. Their payroll will be under 10 million. The Tigers number 8 hitter will make 13 million this year (Pudge). Assuming Andrew Miller is on the 25, he will be highest paid Marlin at around $1 million - and he's only 22.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

After further thought, I'd probably switch Maggs to batting 3rd and Miggy to 4th.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Either way, would it really matter? Both Ordonez and Cabrera are going to have around 600 AB's and I believe it won't make a bit of difference in the Tigers' run production no matter who hits 3rd or 4th.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Probably not. Maggs has a better overall OBP (if he continues like he did last year), while Miggy has more power. Leyland should have a lot of fun coming up with lineup ideas - there are a myriad ways you could do it. I mean, in my proposed lineup our 7th batter hit over .330 last year! Pudge may need to bat last - I hope his ego will allow that.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Tigers deifinately got a LOT stronger, IMO with this trade.

Andy, don't worry about the number of all stars or feeling like the Yankees. They haven't won much lately :)

Come to think of it, the Indians had an all star at every position from '95 - - '00 and they didn't win anything either.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Speaking of that late 90's Indians team - one of the best to not win a World Series, BTW - their Achilles' heel was pitching. That was a great lineup with so-so pitching. I worry that is where the Tigers are heading. Sure, they improved the team for 2008. But beyond that I'm not sure. The '08 team is also very susceptible to injury - Sheff, Rogers, the looney Zumaya is already out. With no significant injuries, this team should coast (with no offense to your Indians).

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Andruw Jones just signed with the Dodgers. But does anyone care what happens in the Division 1-AA of the major leagues (i.e., the NL)? j/k.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Hey Tomvols, here's a trade you need to pass on to TPTB in Cincinnati.

Cincy should trade for both Eric Bedard and Dan Haren. Both the Orioles and the A's need help at pretty much every position and the Reds need pitching.

Here are the deals.
    OF Jay Bruce, SP Homer Bailey and 2 other prospects for Bedard
    SP Johnny Cueto, SP Matt Maloney and 1B Joey Votto for Haren

It would remove a lot of talent from the Reds' minor leagues, but Bedard and Haren would give them a chance to win now, which is what they should be doing since they just signed Cordero.

Imagine the rotation.

Bedard
    Haren
    Arroyo
    Harang
    Belisle

That would be the best starting rotation in the NL. With a decent offense already in place, Cincy wins the Central and a playoff rotation of Bedard, Haren, Arroyo and Harang is better than anybody in the majors, including Boston (unless they sign Santana, of course).

Not even Dusty Baker could mess this up. What do you think?

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Dan Haren to the D-Backs. Good to get him out of the AL. Hopefully Santana will be next. The balance of power in the NL has definitely shifted to the NL West. Once the laughing stock of the entire league, the NL West could have 4 of the best teams in the Senior Circuit.