1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hotel Soap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread about missions, Faithgirl recommended we pick up the extra soap and shampoo samples and give to our missionaries.

Here is the question?

Are those small items meant to be used only for in motel use? Another words would you consider it a sin to take some or all the rest home for personal use?

The same would go for extra condiments such as mustard, ect from a restaurant.

Or is Salty just being nick picky:confused:

2. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Nit picky, maybe. LOL!

I wouldn't take them from a hotel but I don't know if it is wrong to---I'd have to think about it a while.

I certainly wouldn't take extra condiments. But if the condiments were given to me and I didn't use them, I'd take them home. Otherwise I consider it a waste.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Usually I take my own shampoo/soap (etc) when I stay in motels. I would not take the soap/shampoo samples from the hotel room. I'm not sure it is stealing or a sin, the motels might be required to throw them away before the room is re-used. However I would just not feel right taking them. Therefore it would be a sin for me.

==It depends. Some restaurants expect you to take those items (they are at the checkout, etc). For example, I have taken packets of soysauce (etc) from the local Chinese restaurant. But that is what those packets are there for.

My grandmother, who went to be with the Lord in 2000, use to put biskets in her pocketbook. She paid for the biskets since they were part of the all-you-can-eat buffet, I just thought it was funny. She would get a take out plate since she could never finish her meal, but she would still put her bisket(s) in her purse. :laugh:

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a local country cooking buffet restaurant that will charge people extra if they waste food. I thought it was strange at first but the more I think about it the more I like it. We throw away too much food in this country.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to know where that restaurant is!

As my day used to say: "Take all you want - want all you take"

Thus my situation in the other thread see post # 7

6. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

:wavey: Yes they are. However aside from the hotel sopas you can also buy smal deoderant samples at the travelr's section of Walmart orKamart. The smal deoderants or lotions are generally under a $1. You can also add Our Daily Bread which is available at my church the Daily word and small Gideon Bibles.
    Faithgirl

7. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

Frankly I see nothing sinful about taking the soaps or shampoos. The hotels do not charge you for them,. The hotels let you have the shampoos, soaps and lotions. My church gives monsey to the missiories who are trying to bring others to Jesus Christ. They request shampoos soap etc
    Faithgirl

8. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

We usually take ourown sopas, toothpaste etc.But there have been several occasion that we ran out of soap or one of us decided to usethe hotel soap. Is it a sin? No t that I can think of.
    Faithgirl

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From my understanding, if the soap is open, they throw it out but will reuse it if it is not opened. I'm not sure about the shampoo and such. However, the cost of those things are figured into your hotel room price so in my opinion, I've paid for those things. I will take those small bottles and small soap and bring them home for guests in my home. I also know of some business people who bring their own toiletries yet bring those home to give to the shelters to use for the homeless which I think is a great idea. :)

To take more than are in your room would be wrong but to take the bottles that are placed there for your use, then I do not see how that can be wrong.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

About 20 years ago, I had the occasion to stay at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in NYC (at NBC's expense).

Their soaps, shampoos, etc., were in a little ceramic bathtub. I still have it.

But the towels are still there.

12. Sakuras

Sakuras New Member

Hello,

If Jesus was staying at a hotel before hitting the road to another city to preach, I'd imagine he'd take some extra conditioner so his hair was silky smooth.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My opinion is

I believe that those condiments are not free but are factored in to the room cost some sort of way----and in a way--I suppose there is a feel that its not really "stealing" if they're taken unused

But

Why get the unused soap from the hotel??? Go to Wally World and get the good stuff---Safeguard, Dial, Irish Spring----Your missionary deserves the very best---go to Fred's or Dollar Store or Wally World and spend some money on the missionary couple

If you are Southern Baptist------you can "ring up" IMB HQ's in Richmond---and make arrangements to send boxed up condiments to the missionary of your choice---I have missionary friends servicing in Dakar, Senegal---they get missionary volunteers there on a regular basis---and the condiments, etc are sent from Richmond to them via the missionary groups that arrive there---the condiments, etc are not mailed from here to there for obvious reasons

Your Southern Baptist friend,
    Blackbird

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they are "complimentary" to use as you please.

HankD

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. I'm a business traveller and have a fair amount of experience in that area. The soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc, which a hotel leaves for you are complientary. They are yours to keep or discard as you see fit. So, to answer the question, no, it's not a sin to keep them and give them to another.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Aren't they included in the price you pay for the room? If so then they are yours.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, you're right. I should have said they're complimentary until you get the bill. :smilewinkgrin:

18. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

Several years ago the head maid who was atthe hotel we were regular cutomers at gave me some soap for the Crisis shelter.
    Faithgirl

19. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

Blackbird the hotel soap is juest as goodas the regular soap. The thins from Walmart are added as a way to further help those who are serving Jesus leading others toJesus Christ.
    Faithgirl

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, I think towels are past the limit.
    Bet it was a super nice place to stay wasn't it, cool for you.