1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

House preparing to sue Obama for overreach: ‘He’s not a king’

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WASHINGTON — Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann says House conservatives are preparing to sue President Barack Obama for executive overreach in response to his threats of unilateral action on a host of issues.

“He’s the president of the United States — he’s not a king,” the Republican lawmaker told reporters after Obama’s State of the Union address. “He may think he’s a king, he may declare himself king, but that’s not what he is under our Constitution.”

Bachmann said an effort is underway in Congress to take back their “authority under the Constitution as the House of Representatives.” She said the plan is to introduce legislation allowing lawmakers to hire an attorney, so “we can force the president to act under the Constitution.”

“We’ll sue the president of the United States and force him to no longer act unilaterally,” she said.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/29/b...a-for-overreach-hes-not-a-king/#ixzz2rqE4IxUW

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is now time for impeachment.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I agree, but it the Senate, under its current configuration, won't convict any Articles of Impeachment the House could hand up to them. Best wait until after the election, in the new Congress. Every indication is the GOP will recoup the Senate in November.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) said Tuesday night that he left President Obama’s State of the Union speech early after “hearing how the president is further abusing his Constitutional powers.”

“I could not bear to watch as he continued to cross the clearly-defined boundaries of the Constitutional separation of powers,” Stockman said in a press release shortly after Obama’s speech ended. “Needless to say, I am deeply disappointed in the tone and content of tonight’s address.”

Stockman said Obama was promising to “break his oath of office and begin enacting his own brand of law through executive decree.”

“This is a wholesale violation of his oath of office and a disqualifying offense,” the Texas congressman said.

http://youngcons.com/gop-rep-explains-why-he-walked-out-of-sotu-and-its-awesome/

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why Bachmann used the phrase "sue" instead of "impeach"? So far as I know a sitting President cannot be sued in a court of law, can only be impeached by the House and grid in the Senate.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, apparently Bachmann is going to try to pass a new law making it legal for people to sue the President. Oh boy, how dumb can you get?!

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

After the election, the Republicans may have a slim majority. It takes a 2/3rds vote to convict. Also, the basis of impeachment is treason, bribery, high crimes and misdemeanors. From the time Nixon was first implicated in Watergate until he resigned, it took a year and six months, and that was a clear cut case. By the time that amount of time passes, Obama's term will be up. Our time, efforts, and money could be put to much better use, like governing our nation by the Constitution.

If you all want change, then I suggest you get out and starting now, (you should have started the day after Romney lost) to nominate a conservative Constitutional nominee in 2016. If we nominate a Romney, McCain type person, the Democrats will win.

Does anyone ever think these threads through? Who would be President if Obama is impeached? Brilliant move.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SN, they are not talking about impeachment, they are talking about an extra-Constitutional maneuver of creating legislation enabling them to sue Obama to compel him to uphold the Constitution.

I hope everyone sees the irony here. And yes, it's another brainchild of Tea Partiers.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I got the concept of impeachment from post 2.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....You have got to be very careful of how far you extend those executive powers…I think that’s going to upset the balance and also create a lot of controversy not just from Republicans, but some of us that are much more moderate and view this careful balance that we have a role here…If they go too far you’ll clearly hear push back from me. There’s no question about it.

Senator Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, echoed Begich’s criticism of the President’s promise to act on his own, without Congress. Manchin (who isn’t even up for reelection this year) said the idea “rubs a lot of people wrong. It rubs, I gotta be honest, me too…I think a couple of times the remarks were made like, ‘I will do, even exceed if I need to, to do what I think is right.’ And I’m praying to God that’s not what he meant and not what he tries to do.”

Also last night, Democratic Senator Mark Udall refused three times on CNN to say whether he would join the President for campaign events in his home state of Colorado, where he is on the ballot this fall. Senator Kay Hagan, another Democrat running for reelection, similarly declined to appear with the President at his recent event in North Carolina.

You know a president is really in trouble when his own party produces his harshest critics, and does so more than nine months before an election. Probably not since the Carter years have incumbents so conspicuously abandoned a president of their own party. And there is certainly more to come.

http://www.gingrichproductions.com/2014/01/obamas-toughest-critics/

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

Individual members of Congress cannot sue. The courts have ruled consistently on that issue over the years. However, a collective House action is permissible. It's just that no one has ever done it before. The usurpation of Congressional powers makes such a lawsuit necessary. He is attempting to destroy the checks and balances built into the Constitution and essentially become a dictator. He's got to be stopped.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    waaaaaaay past time it's going to be just for show if they try.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How unfortunate.