1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

House Renews Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Feb 25, 2010.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Very good!

I was thinking more along the lines of national defense and their approach to fighting terrorism as well as economically, as in how to create jobs and their approach to healthcare.

Small matters like that.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you except I would question characterzing "the other" as donig it "gradually" considering what we saw when "the other" controlled both houses of Congress and the White House during a portion of the 00s.

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both the Dems and Reps have their own "talking points" about what constitutional freedoms they support and which ones they like to ignore for their own self-serving agenda.

Ultimately, most of them vote in favor of any bill that gives them power when they can wield it. The "moderate" or "centrist" "compromise" from both sides usually amounts to the "statist" version of everything.

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Ok, you've accounted for the Dems and the Reps.

Now we must patiently wait for that angelic race of beings who always know what's best, are totally selfless, never compromise in a centrist or statist way, and incidently have a complete understanding of the Constitution. As soon as they get here we can vote for em, and they can begin filing into Congress and the White House. Out of the way old-timers.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, we wait for the coming of Christ who will set all things right in whatever way He so chooses. ALL of the others are usurpers.

6. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dude, I hear ya.

I am only explaining to those people who seem to think that a strict dichotomy exists between the Republican and Democratic parties. Some seem to have a dangerous notion that the Republican Party is the be all end all of what is good and right and that the Democratic Party is the exact opposite. Too many Christians mortgage their souls to a secular political party and they let the leadership from this party and loyalist media professionals determine what they believe as Christians and how to interpret and apply the Bible itself.

The Patriot Act is not a "Republican" thing. Plenty of Democrats voted for it from the start (including Hillary Clinton), and plenty still support it. The Patriot Act is not a left-right issue; it is a statist issue. Bill Clinton tried similar tactics with Project Echelon.

A Democrat-controlled House and Senate renewing the Patriot Act does not surprise me in the least. Those in power who like power will support laws that give them power. They will also make sure that you know that it is "for your own good." Statist-minded party hacks will only oppose certain statist agendas if constituents in their party threaten their jobs by making an issue of it.

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I don't see much of this. People vote for candidates who come closest to representing their interests on the different issues. None of the candidates ever do just as we would wish them to do. Look at all the lefties who are upset that Obama hasn't gone far enough etc.

But we voters, left, right and middle, work with what we've got. If all you have is a pair of pliers there is no use complaining that they aren't air wrenches.

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Thank you. Yes I know this.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Once the state has usurped power from the people it hates to return it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." James Madison

#29 poncho, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
  10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This should be evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to all those who think there is a functional difference between Democrats and Republicans, that there is none. They are both the enemy to we the people and the Constitution. For those of you who bought into the Bush lie of being a conservative, good enough for you. For those of you who thought Obama would make a change, good enough for you. So how long are you people going to keep voting for Democrats and Republicans? Until we lose all our liberties and freedoms?

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I disagree. There are definite differences between Democrats & Republicans. The trouble is that the end result seems to be the same...more spending, more stacking the system. There is little chance of a third party taking any significant third or fourth party to attain the level of the two dominants who have stacked the deck in their favor.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

So what's the solution then? Few here seem to care for the obvious cure for most our woes, a return to constitutional government, sound money and a non-interventionist foreign policy.

Sounds like you're saying.

The only choice we have is either of the two puppets the bankers and corporitos allow us to choose from every four years.

Forget the national elections! Forget the "two parties" in DC and put constitutionalists and those who still hold our founding principles dear in local and state offices.

The national elections are little more than theater. Fagitaboutem!

We need to stop the corporate backed politicians like the Bushies, Gores and Obamas from using government power to engage in private business ventures.

Like warfare and such.

#32 poncho, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree. The notion that the two present parties are eternal is baloney. We the people could put an end to both of them at any time. And, if the end result is the same while thinking there is a difference between the two, then what difference is there? Constitutional government is the only answer, not swapping power between two parties born in the pits of hell.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Wow! We were told that the last President was the one responsible for the Patriot Act and that the new change leadership wouldn't do those kinds of things! I guess they lied again! I miss President Bush!