1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Houston Baptist University explores name change

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Mar 27, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and the problem is?

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We've talked about this already.

4. Max Fenster

Max Fenster New Member

~"If they get rid of the name Baptist, the school will lose its heritage and its identity,"
    ---
    seems to me, the name "Houston one third Baptist University" better reflects the reality of a heritage and identity already lost.

Pretending to be something you are not only plays well with older people who've forgotten honesty.

5. ChristianLady1978

ChristianLady1978 New Member

"A rose by any other name, still smells as sweet."

Who cares what the name of the school is as long as they are giving a good education to its students.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

The problem is not even churches/denominations try to be honest any more. Churches change names to some meaningless generic words like car names. Why? To sucker new customers into thinking they are not Baptist or Reformed???

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Bill although the way you stated it might seem a little harsh I think you are actually correct. It raises the question if a church or school wants to follow a certain denomination doctrine, holding to its creeds, then it should be up front and use the name of that denomination. I agree it is a dishonest way to get membership. If the denominational name has such a stigma to it that it needs to be abandoned or hidden outwardly then perhaps they also need to abandon the teachings and practices of that denomination for somehting that does not have the stigma if they are going to be honest.[/SIZE]

I think it would be no different if a church, school or group no longer affiliated themself with the name "Christian" but tried to follow all it teaches under another term or name. Or if they decided not to use the name "Jesus" and just spoke about God and His Son but not using the name. This thing of not wanting to be seen as Baptist and yet wanting to claim to be Baptist is a sham and hypocrisy.
    [/SIZE]

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So I guess Spurgeon was a hypocrite because his church was not called 'Metropolitan Reformed Baptist Tabernacle'?

What silliness. Wise people who are looking for a church will investigate doctrine and ask questions so that they know what they are joining. There are hundreds of 'Baptist' churches with "Baptist" on the sign that ceased to be 'Baptist' long ago.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

Did Spurgeon own his church or have unilateral authority to change the name?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was there it already had when it allowed the horoscope to be published in their school paper.

11. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

I largely agree with you about that. In fact isn't that what most of these so-called "seeker sensitive" churches are all about?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Or could it be that they do not wish to be lied about and noted as being a part of the local "Us Four and No More Church" or "The Church of The Living Dead". When I was in seminary a man I worked with told a group of us about the time he was at a church and led a black youth in the city to Christ and then invited him to the church where he was the youth pastor. As the young man came up the steps to enter the church he was told that he was not welcome. He was not welcome because of the color of his skin. Is that what Baptists want to be associated with?