1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How about Georgia-- them dawgs!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about Georgia coach Mark Richt telling his team, "...if they didn't get a celebration penalty after our first score, all of them would be doing early morning runs." They scored a touchdown and the whole team came out in celebration, they got 2 "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties and had to kickoff from their 8 yard line, and Florida promptly scored a touchdown. But Georgia, the underdog, won the game....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273000061

Do you think Richt's Trick really had a positive effect, overall, on his team, or did it just give Florida an easier score? And what about the ethics of flagrantly violating the rules with an exuberant in-your-face display? Most sports fans today would seem to say, "If it's us, it's okay-- if it's them, shut down their program!"

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Typical UGA stupidity. It would have been interesting if that touchdown had cost them the game.

But all is well on the farm. UGA is first in the SEC East and #10 in the polls & finally beat Florida. And, Richt is a demi-god. Looks like it will be UGA & LSU in the SEC Finals.

But why would a coach demand unsportsmanlike conduct? Bush league to me. But then again, I hate the dawgs.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not so fast...
    Tennessee's blowout of GA means UT is 1st in the East and will go to Atlanta.....

IF.....

Tennessee runs the table in the SEC.

So we appreciate GA taking care of Florida. Lord knows we sure didn't.

As far as the penalty, it was a huge gamble. If it worked (and it did) Richt is a hero. But he's done some crazy things in the past that didn't work and got him well-deserved criticism.

That said, he's my brother in Christ, and I love him, but I think it was over the top. Fun to watch, but over the top. I wonder if that played into Stafford getting his clock cleaned on the Offside call later in the game????

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's right -- you are in the driver's seat! Congrats on your win over Spurrier and USC. I thought you were going to give it away. Here's hoping you win out over UGA.

Yest, Richt is a brother in Christ. Still hate the dawgs.

5. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Didn't see the game and haven't followed any ball for the last few years, but the GA fans I work with thought Richt's ploy was brilliant because it gave a "head-game" advantage that they needed badly to beat FLA.

And, yes FoS, Richt IS "all that" in the eyes of the dawgs fans!