1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How about the Heugonots

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by baptistteacher, Nov 9, 2003.

1. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Does anybody know much about what became of the Heugonots, mostly of France? Are there any realistic Baptist ties to them? I know that they were Calvinistic in theology, so may have moved to Presbyterianism or Reformed Church. Did some of them become Baptists? Are there still Huegonot groups somewhere?

My family (on my Mother's / Mother's side) came from the Heugonots, so I have been wondering about this. Have found very little about them past the 1600's - 1700's.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a collosal massacre of about 100,000 Heugenots by or fostered by the Church of Rome after which the Vatican struck a victory medal.

http://www.reformation.org/bart.html

Of course the Church of Rome has an appropriate apologetic challenging the reasons for and numbers killed in the massacre, but to me it's just more of their double-think double-speak.
    Somehow the defenseless victims (which included women and children) of the massacre are made responsible for their own murders.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13333b.htm

HankD

[ November 09, 2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hundreds of thousands of Hugeunots fled France and persecution for new homes in Prussia, Holland, Canada and the United States, where they largely were absorbed into other Protestant denominations, mostly Calvinistic.

But the Reformed Church of France continues to exist in France, where it has 350,000 members. Some of the emigre churches also are still in existence; some, like the one in New York City, eventually moved to a domestic denomination.

A large number of Huguenots settled in the Charleston, S.C., area, and I would not be surprised if some eventually ended up with the Baptists, although they probably tended toward the Presbyterians.

HUGUENOT SOCIETY OF AMERICA

4. kman

kman New Member

I have Huguenot ancestors. And I'm Baptist! Reformed too ;)

But I'm not pure Huguenot...I am all mixed up with Germans and Scotts and who knows what else.

-kman

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ditto...kinda. Amongst my ancestors were the Morier family, Huguenots who fled France after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, initially for Chateau d'Oex, modern Switzerland, and then London. One of them,Isaac Morier (1750-1817) together with his sons, carved out a successful career in the British diplomatic service, particular during the Napoleonic Wars against....er...France - so they got their own back in the end!

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. mioque

mioque New Member

Me too! That is I also have hugenoten among my ancestors.
    http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/h-wound.htm
    (It is very hard to find Vasari's fresco created for the pope to commemorate the occasion on the internet, but here it is).

7. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Thanks for the good information everyone!

I do know about the St. Bartholomews Day Massacre in 1572. Have read some about it.

Christian History magazine did an issue about the Huguenots in 2001. It is probably still availabe if someone is interested.
    www.christianhistory.net

My Huguenot ancestors arrived in the New World (Philidelphia) on Sept 9, 1754, that was 182 years after the St. Bartholomews Day Massacre. They moved to Virginia, then to Georgia and Alabama. Somewhere along the line became Baptists.

8. Australian Baptist Student

Hi there,
    there seem to still be Heugonots in France. The village of Le Chambon has a Heugonot church in it. This church is the center of Philip Hallie's book "Lest Innocent Blood be Shed". This documents how the village declared itself a place of refuge during WW2, and hid large numbers of Jewish people. It is a very moving story, and the author notes that their Huegonot heritage, of being prepared to suffer for righteousness, and being prepared to oppose the government for the sake of their faith were both vital in their ability to stand up and resue the dying at this time. The pastor himself seems to have had an odd grasp of theology, although many of the ordinary members may have been more orthodox. There is a lovely scene in the book where the SS come to arrest the pastor. He was out, so his wife invited them in and sat them down with the family, as it was supper time. Brutal, hard men, used to insults from their victims, the SS chief wept as the wife poured him soup and showed love to her enemy, who later took her husband off to a concerntration camp. I hope I would have been so Christ-like!
    God bless, colin