1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How are you going to use your tax cut to stimulate the economy?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

And you judge the progress toward his goal being in office less than one moth? You expected him to change Washington in less than a month? I think it is you who is being a dreamer and not him.

True, but balanced it just the same. 2 Bush' and Reagan had Republican congresses and didn't get it to balance.

True about opposition which is why I didn't want to see a filibuster proof Senate. It is also why I give the three Republican Senators and the Blue Dogs in the house all the credit for keeping the package from being the $1.3 the Democrats wanted. They alone brought it under $800 Billion.

I also contend it could have been stripped of more waste if the Democrats saw any hope of bringing more Republican's on board. However, with the balance of the Republican's uniting so far to the right the Democrats saw no point in further negotiations and went with what they had.

Why must the right be so bull headed and stubborn and see things as "their way or no way"? This is a clear example of how they are doing more harm than good with that attitude. And we moderates will hold them accountable in 2010.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

With my ADD, Obama would be out of office before I digested that thing... :laugh: :thumbsup:

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Check your facts, Bush Sr did not have a republican congress. Neither did Reagan. G. W. Bush did for part of his presidency. In recent history Democrats have had many instances of an across the board holding of power. Republicans have only had it during two congressional terms (4 years) while GW Bush was in office.

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/usgovernment/l/bl_party_division_2.htm

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was wrong about Bush Sr but Reagan had a Republican Senate.

5. matt wade

Republican Senate. That's not the same thing as the "Reagan had Republican congresses".

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I'll take your share if you don't want it... :D

7. matt wade

I'm with you :). If I can keep $52 more dollars of mine each month, I'm all for it. Obviously I'd like to keep more than that, but I won't complain about $52!

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No I didn't expect him to change Washington. I expected him to keep his promises. So far the only change is from his campaign to his administration. He said he would be the most ethical and transparent administration in historic. He hasn't been the most ethical and transparent administration in the last two years. He said he wouldnt' have lobbyists in his government. Yet he changed the rules. He said he would work towards bipartisanship. He hasn't. So yes, I think it is fair to say that so far he has not made much progress.

No they didn't. Reagan had a Republican Senate for a while, but always a Democratic House. Bush had a Democratic Congress. GWB had REpublican congress, but he was an economic failure.

Imagine how much lower it could have gotten if those three Republicans had said, "No way, no how." Imagine how much lower it would have gotten if Obama would have said, "No way, no how." Imagine how much lower it would have gotten if Pelosi who claimed that deficity spending was immoral in the last administration had chosen not to be immoral in this administration. Giving them credit for lowering the number is a little like giving credit to string quarter playing on the Titanic. It didn't actually help.

They Dems did have hope of bringing the Republicans on board. But they weren't willing to do it. They wanted to spend money.

So someone who says, "We won't spend $1 trillion" is doing more harm than good? Would that the whole congress would do such harm. To say it was "my way or no way" simply isn't true, for the most part. There were Republicans willing to be part of the conference, willing to negotiate, but they were shut out. Go read about the tactics that Pelosi used.

I don't think, based on what you have posted here, that anyone would confuse you with a moderate. There doesn't seem to be anything moderate about you.

My guess is that the Republicans will gain big in 2010. They won't get the majority back, but they will make significant gains. This may be the same kind of political stunt that Obama used in the war on Iraq, voting against it, knowing it was going to pass anywya, but giving himself the campaign speech that he was always against it from the beginning.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I am thankful to our Heavenly Father for the $800 reduction in our taxes as that will cover most of the cost of the repairs/maintenance we are having done on my wife's van this month. :godisgood:

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When he was running for this position of President, he said that he was going to give each person 500 dollars so they could buy a new car or put their kids through college. I guess more than half the country didn't see this statement as just flat out stupid! So they voted for him.

It's a little short from 500, but it is probably the closest he has come so far as to doing anything remotely close to what he said he would do.

Oh change oh change! Where art thou oh change we can believe in!! :praying:

11. targus

targus New Member

Will you really notice the $26 a week when it starts to dribble in?

Is your mechanic willing to wait until June to start getting his $26 a week on the bill?

BTW - if it is so important that this bill get pushed thru so fast - without Congress even getting to read it first - why are they waiting until June to start dribbling out the stimulus into the economy a few bucks at a time each week?

Shouldn't we all just get a check in the next couple of days for the full amount so we can all run out and stimulate the economy?

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be a better method...especially for my attempt to pay down my car note!

13. targus

targus New Member

Comd on now. Paying off debt isn't going to stimulate the economy.

Of course neither is $13 a week.

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Me too! Amen!

But I would rather have had Obama keep his promise about reducing abortions instead of him signing an executive order to increase them.

Hope everybody enjoys their money. How many millions did Obama give the abortion mills with his executive order? What a messiah!

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I didn't get a rebate from Bush, so I doubt I will get one from Obama. So I guess In won't be spending it at all.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

$8. that hugh alright.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say it was going to stimulate the economy. (Although, in a roundabout sense it may. I'll be more likely to spend money in the long run if I don't have to make my car payment.)

If Congress is too stupid to come up with a way to ensure that the stimulus will be spent, I'm going to use any assistance for my personal benefit. If I pay off 800 of debt, I get instant return on my investment. If I spend 800, I make an almost insignificant impact on the general economy.

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the government really wants us to spend, they should make us "use it or lose it" like the 40 dollar DTV converter coupons.

19. targus

targus New Member

I did a little rough calculating...

If the price of gas goes up by 54 cents a gallon my $13 a week share of the $787 billion will all go to increasing global warming.:eek:

20. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will only take you 4 YEARS to read? ('Cause I'm claiming Psalm 109:8!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.