1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Black is Obama?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

What do you think the main stream media meant when they were questioning Obama's blackness? They couldnt have been referring to the color of his skin. He is just as dark as Al Sharpton and nobody ever question his blackness. So they must be referring to a certain ideology. A certain way a black person must think. How must a black person think to be certifiably black?
    I do know this about Obama. His black father left his when he was 2 years old and in his own autobiographical writings he fondly acknowledges that his success in life was due to the habits of diligence and self reliance instilled in him by his white mother and his white grandparents. Should he urge young black people to stress their blackness as the Democrat party does? Or should he stress to them to develope the responsible virtues that have helped him to rise?
    Is Shelby Steele black enough? Clarence Thomas? Michael Steele? J.C. Watts? Colin Powell?
    What right has anyone to question whether or not a black man is black enough? What in the world has the color of a man's skin got to do with his ideology?
    If Obama gets elected to be our next president, and it very well looks that that will be the case, he will do so by winning a majority of the white vote who will place their trust in him to govern in the spirit of a colorblind national unity and encourage the virtues that got him to where he is in all groups. I have a feeling that isn't what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have in mind.

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Here is a picture of Barak Obama's Mother (obviously before he was born) and his Grandparents. Do you see a resemblance to the Grandfather?
    [​IMG]

3. billwald

billwald New Member

We all know that being black in the USofA has nothing to do with skin color. Has to do with a particular social/cultural sub set of the population.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The One Drop Rule

the question and answers really are:
    Which water fountain would Senator Obama be required to drink from in the '50s? White or Colored.
    Would Senator Obama be lynched ala Emmit Till for whistling at say Chelsea Clinton? (yeah I know this is a stretch but you get the idea.)
    Would he be required to sit in the back of the bus?
    Would he be served at a Woolworth lunch counter?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:applause: :applause: :applause:

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who are too young to know the times the answers are:
    • Colored
    • Maybe not lynched, because he's a US Senator. But shot as a driveby or a walk up ala Lee Harvey Oswald or a bomb through the hotel window. Again you get the idea.
    • Yes.
    • No, even though he could buy the store.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you analyzed it correctly in the part I bolded.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For cryin' out loud!

Ed

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Having a white mother and a black father he's probably had trouble some on both sides of the aisle not accepting him. He's neither black nor white is some folk's book. I don't like him because he's a liberal and will destory what little bit of religious freedom we have left in this country. I could care less if he were black, white, or whatever.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

My sentiments exactly! For pete's sake people! "Blackness" is not equated with laziness, unruly, abandonment, irresponsibility, ignorant, entitlement, and vitimization no more than "whiteness" is equated with responsible, polite, civilized, successful, diligent, hard-working, and educated. And you know what as much as you hate Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson they will agree.

Remarks such as these, and others in threads too numerous to count, prove how ignorant we still are in this day and age! Sheesh! The myriads of successful black people in this country, and no not just the conservative Republicans, are evidence of such. It is not an uncommon thing to see many successful, responsible, hard-working black people in every city and state in this United States of America.

Here's a clue: Stop watching so much TV..... :tear:

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're over-reacting.

No one but you has made such an assertion.

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Whatever. The posts speak for themselves, especially the one with the special attention given to the phrases in bold.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. I understand.
    That bolded part makes a lot of black people wonder about Obama's "blackness". No doubt about it. :thumbs:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You done quit preachin' and gone to meddlin'!

Ed

15. billwald

billwald New Member

"My sentiments exactly! For pete's sake people! "Blackness" is not equated with laziness, unruly, abandonment, irresponsibility, ignorant, entitlement, and vitimization no more than "whiteness" is equated with responsible, polite, civilized, successful, diligent, hard-working, and educated."

The majority of white Americans recognize the existence of a white trash class. It doesn't take any sort of white conspiracy. Classes don't conspire, they react instinctively especially when daughter brings home a trash class boyfriend.

Do black Americans recognize the existence of a black trash class? If so, what is the name of the black trash class? Do black parents go bjerk when daughter brings home a trashy black boyfriend or is this an excuse to rail against white people for holding down this poor black lad?

16. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that's a whole 'nother question.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have no idea what the name of the class is but I am sure it would be the ones who are gang affiliated, wearing their pants so you can see their boxers and didn't pay attention in school so no hope for a decent job. Of course this describes youth of all races... :thumbs:

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Thug! I think that's the name...