1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How california went dry

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gov. Jerry Brown of California is fired up about nailing his citizens to the wall, should they dare to use more than their allotted amount of water. On Sunday, Brown said that those who did not take shorter showers would be punished with fines of up to $500, in order to cut urban water use 25 percent; now, according to CBS News, water authorities will use “smart meters” to monitor water use and update them for purposes of fines.

None of this will do much good.

Let’s assume that Brown’s plan works, and California saves approximately 1.5 million acre feet of water, or 490 billion gallons of water. That barely touches the 11 trillion gallons of water California needs in order to replenish its supplies from the drought. It’s also a wild misallocation of resources.

Let’s begin with actual wastes of water in the state of California. Thanks to Environmental Protection Agency regulations as well as local state regulations aimed at protecting the three-inch Delta smelt, a fish about which Americans supposedly care deeply, California currently pumps 150 billion gallons of usable water out to sea each year. Normally, that water would go to the fields of the Central Valley, the fruit and nuts producing region of California that supplies so many of those goods to the rest of the country. Instead, the entire region has gone dry, jacking unemployment rates up to 40 percent in some areas

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/04/07/how-california-went-dry/

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Reminds me of comedian James Gregory and his bit about animal rights.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love that guy

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, did God create the animals?

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Crabby - look up the James Gregory video on youtube and you'll see what Rev and I are talking about. Gregory makes the point that the way we treat certain situations with animals is quite silly.

Yes, God created animals. And yes, God created man to be a steward of the Earth. But we shouldn't take such silly actions in the name of animal rights if they endanger ourselves.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have time just now. I probably would agree with him. But I am not arguing for animal rights in the sense that many use.

I agree we can go too far in actions considering animal rights. But, as we are to be caretakers do we have the right to force into extinction the life of animals that God created? Is that being a good steward?

Have we misused the stewardship of the earth that has resulted in this situation? For instance my sister lives in Pasadena, CA. Nature made that region a desert. I notice that almost all houses have green grass yards. To me that is a misuse of our stewardship as it takes so much water to keep them green. Why not have native plants that survive on what nature supplies. If I lived there I would have a cactus yard with really thorny cactus under each window. I would not have grass or other non-native water hogging plants.

How about you?