1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How can you tell...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Walls, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TR-based versions:
    Geneva
    KJV
    Webster's
    NKJV
    MKJV

Eclectic Text versions:
    NASB
    ASV
    RV
    RSV
    NRSV
    ESV
    NIV
    GNB
    NLT
    etc., etc., etc.

There are not many options when it comes to the TR translations.

Based on how you feel about certain things, there are some versions you can dismiss before you even read them.

If you are offended by the RSV saying that Jesus would be born of a "young woman" instead of a "virgin," then the RSV is not for you (NRSV as well, I believe).

If you (like me) don't believe a version commonly accepted to be a paraphrase should be used, stay away from those, for example The Living Bible and The Message.

If you like formal equivalency (word-for-word translation as best they could) in translation versus dynamic equivalency (thought-for-thought translation as best they could), then that weeds out the NIV among others.

Here are some popular ones for the fundamentalist.

1. KJV. Among Fundamentalist circles, the KJV has always been a popular choice, if not the most popular since 1611 (in its various incarnations) and is a true and faithful literal translation and will steer no one astray from the Word of God. This is regardless of the pedo-baptist, pseudo-Catholic, Baptist-persecuting heretick that instigated it for his own political and religious gain, King James I. You would do no wrong if you read it everyday and none other. The most beautiful and fluent book written in the English language. Some consider it difficult to understand because of words that are not in the common vernacular. Many do not realize this, but the language used in the KJV was not the language in common use among the literate of the time. It was, in fact, a court language. Nobody ever talked like that. Here are two examples from the KJV and how they are translated differently in the Geneva. I have updated the spelling in the Geneva verses below.

1. Acts 12:4.

(KJV)And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

(Geneva)And when he had caught him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to be kept, intending after the Passover to bring him forth to the people.

2. II Timothy 3:16

(KJV)All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

(Geneva)For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness,

Here is a good article from a non-KJVO who defends the use of the KJV in the pulpit.

Okaaay. I can't find the link, but here's a link to the website that had it. Somebody help me out here. Lots of good articles here:

KJVONLY.ORG

2. NIV. The NIV was accepted by many evangelicals as being the translation of choice despite its decided bent toward dynamic equivalency. When I was younger I memorized most of my verses in this version which really messes me up when I try to quote a verse in KJV...even John 3:16. Some claim the doctrine of the blood is weakened in this version, especially in Hebrews (I have not found this to be true). Many evangelicals and fundamentalists would prefer to have a more literal translation. Just as a note, this was the version I was reading when I was saved.

3. ASV. This was the choice of "intellectual" fundamentalists but never replaced the KJV in common use in fundamentalist circles. Some of the most ardent fundamentalists used this version to much effect. It is the American counterpart to the Revised Version from England which Spurgeon used to correct what he percieved as deficiencies in the KJV. Still in limited use.

4. NASB. Update to the ASV. This is a very good, literal translation of the Word. I John 5:7 differs from the KJV as well as in some other areas. Some think it is so literal it is actually stilted and wooden in areas and some think it is just right in its formal equivalence to the original languages.

5. ESV. I've heard very good things about this. I've also read passages and would consider it a bridge between the KJV and the NASB. More fluid language than the NASB and written in the form of English currently in use. Looks like it might just catch on.

6. Geneva Bible. Very difficult to get a copy of this whether it be facsimile or new typeset for under $100. Very few use this as an everyday Bible, although there are some. I was talking to someone on the BaptistBoard not too long ago who used the Geneva for everyday devotions and as his bible that he brought to church. This was the choice of the early Baptists/Puritans. This was also brought to America as the first English translation over here. Its language is easier to understand but most of the time the spelling is not updated. It was the language of the common literate individual in the 1500's, so it would still seem archaic and perhaps a bit less poetic than the KJV which replaced it.

If there are other versions that are in common use by fundamentalists, I am not aware of them. This is just a brief review of the ones that are or were.

Here are the Flesch-Kincaid readability scale results on John chapter 1.

NIV 5.4
    ESV 5.8
    ASV 6.2
    KJV 6.4
    Gen 6.9
    NAS 7.2

MY OPINION:

My family and I will continue to use the KJV in devotions, personal reading and church for these reasons.
    1. We, as a family, are most familiar with the KJV of all the versions.
    2. The verses are easily memorizable, and the poetry is unparalleled.
    3. This is the anvil on which many rebel bands have worn out their hammer, has had the greatest effect on Western Christianity over the past 300 years, and preaches with the greatest power.

We feel justified in this position because the KJV as the Word of God will never fail us and will never cause us to err.

God bless,

Jason

2. Walls

Walls New Member

Thank you Hank, I have compared other verses, but hadn't considered that one. A very important verse, I would say!

3. Walls

Walls New Member

Refreshed,

The list of TR Bible's is very few in comparison to the others, yet you reviewed several of the other list. Have you personally studied these Bibles or is there a website you received your information?

BTW, I understand what you mean by, continuing to use the KJV. It is easily accessible, everything we have is geared towards it. Plus everyone in my family has one, and it would definetly be costly to replace each one with a Geneva. ;)

4. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walls,

What I wrote about the bible versions were from memory, gleaned from this website, other websites, and books I have read. I am not aware of a website that does a comprehensive review of all bible versions or even of all the ones I listed. Maybe somebody else could help us out with this?

Jason

Edit: I have used several of the non-TR bibles prior to being KJVO. Most notably, the NIV.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walls,

have you tried the blueletterbible:

http://www.blueletterbible.org

It's a little tough to use at first.

Go through the list of tasks on the left side of the home screen:

Search
    Commentaries
    Devotionals,

etc...

HankD

6. Walls

Walls New Member

Thanks, I was just wondering.

7. Walls

Walls New Member

That's pretty interesting. I like what they said about why they use the KJV. Makes a lot of sense.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you see the verse you want you will also see a series of boxes you can click with the verse.

Each box has a help. Commentaries, different versions, Greek/Hebrew and interlinear... etc.

HankD

9. Walls

Walls New Member

Hank,

I came across this and was wondering what you knew about it.

Erasmus's third edition of 1522 contained one truly unfortunate innovation: The "Three Heavenly Witnesses" in 1 John 5:7-8. These were derived from the recently-written Codex 61, and (as the famous story goes) included by Erasmus "for the sake of his oath." Sadly, they have been found in almost every TR edition since.

It came from http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/TR.html

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Walls,

Put the phrase "johannine comma" into a search engine like Google.

You will find enough material to keep you going for days, months or even years if you wanted concerning the Comma (1 John 5:7-8) and The TR or Traditional Text.

The Comma has only a few late Greek MSS support and mostly marginal.
    The Comma support comes from the Old Itala, the Latin Vulgate and early Latin Church Fathers.

Be aware that you MUST verify everything you read and that might take considerable work and expense on your part. There is an abundance of intellectual dishonesty, skewing, strife and mean spirits concerning these matters on both sides.
    It was VERY discouraging to me.

Most of my deeper study about this matter was done at the Harvard Divinity School Library (Andover-Newton Theological Library) 30 years ago. A liberal school to be sure but their library is top drawer (4 stories and basement stacks).

It's in Cambridge MA. I was a local pastor then and was able to procure a card (although at the time it was open to the public on a non-lending basis). If you are anywhere close it is the place to go.

There is a rare book room where you can read things inaccesible to the public.

I am convinced that the Comma is authoritative.
    My feeling is that 1 John 5:7 and 8 were reversed and perhaps even separated in 1 John in the original autograph but was dropped in the copying very early on in the Greek but not the Old Italian.

HankD

11. Walls

Walls New Member

That's very interesting. I have never heard about the Comma.

You bring up a good point about verifying everything and digging deeper. It seems like a lot of work, and I am wondering if I should just read what I have and not worry about it? :confused:

On the other hand, I do want to read God's word and know that it is accurate! [​IMG]

12. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

God has preserved His word, and it does take some discretion to identify it. But I don't think it's appropriate for one to judge each textual variant himself, that makes man the author of preservation, not God. My adivce: Identify the good well, then drink deeply without questioning every cup.

What's so disturbing about the modern textual attitude is that there's not a single verse in the Bible they wouldn't toss out tomorrow given the discovery of one more ancient, error filled manuscript.

Since all the evidence isn't in, and new manuscripts can be discovered at any time, this makes their entire bible provisional, not unlike current scientific theories.

No thanks! God said He would preserve His word, and He has.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Tim1769, God chose NOT to preserve the originals, so all we have are the copies made by those whom God did not inspire (God-breath) to produce His Word.

There is NO Scripture concerning the active will of God concerning how to determine which copies are "genuine".

It IS up to the individual to determine.
    Some choose the "Traditional Text": KJV/NKJV.
    Some the eclectic: Most of the others.

Prayer and the unfeigned exercise of faith are essential in that choice.

Once made, we NEED to allow room for different points of faithful views (Soul Liberty) and especially refrain from consigning those who differ in opinion to hell and labeling "apostate" or "antichrist".

Don't we realize that these things can backfire on us?

"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

HankD

14. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I think I'd rather have someone implicitly trust their NIV rather than continually doubt their KJV, and vice versa.

15. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I'd rather have people who were intelligently searching for truth than those who are resigned to living in ignorance.

16. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Intelligence and personal truth are overrated.

If having the untold riches of wisdom contained in the KJV is ignorance, let me be ignorant.

17. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

That's probably how Thomas felt. Faith isn't ignorance. But God forbid we ever be thought ignorant or unintelligent, the two cardinal sins of our time.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tim1769,

I hear you and you are right.

Wisdom is the key...
    And we have to ASK for it.

James 1:5
    If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

19. Walls

Walls New Member

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just remember that GOD IS ALL-POWERFUL, and the Scriptures are His messages to all people, some of which are His direct words, some of which is history He chose to pass along, and some is opinion of the writer, formed from conversations with God, chosen by God to be in His Scriptures.

And remember that God can present His Scriptures to us ANY WAY HE CHOOSES. He is NOT limited to one written version, nor is His presentation limited just to books or written language. I believe you can read the KJV or any other well-established version with the confidence that you're reading God's word as He wishes you to have it.