1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How close is the The Byzantine text-to the TR One?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some distinctions and differneces between the MT and the CT, but the truth is thateither of them do have all of the essential Christian doctrines upheld in them!

That is why KJVO folks could use your example right here, and they do, to say that shows the Kjv is superior, as modern version dilutes down Deity of jesus, but in contex, it does uphold itstill!

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not a clue how many texts there are of any of the scriptures.

With that said. Can we from the Greek text of lets say, Matt. 1:16,18,20 speaking of born, birth, conceived along with John 4:23,24 where Jesus speaks of God as Father and as Spirit, and also, John 8:54 where Jesus says the one they say is their God is his Father. Along with John 1:1,2,14 Hebrews 1:2 where we are told that now the God v1 now speaks (word) by Son.

According to the Greek texts can we understand God as literally begetting, conceiving by Holy Spirit, within the virgin Mary, the Son of the living God? The same Holy Spirit BYW that quickened this same dead Jesus.

Did Spirit , Word, God send his Word, to be spoken by his Son, by being born as a man child. I Am that I Am.

#42 percho, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1, the real issue in my opinion is scribal accuracy and I believe our choices do make a significant difference. Personally I believe Burgon has the correct explanation.

But since we don't have the originals (for God's good reason no doubt) I'm not going to throw my brethren into the Lake of Fire for making what may turn out to be a wrong choice of a scribal variant (not that you do that).

I very often turn to MV's to get a clearer rendering in modern English.

However I always choose the Scrivener 1894 NT text choice of scribal variant over the CT.

Thanks
    HankD

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I had computer trouble or would have replied to this earlier.
    Correct. Textual criticism is a highly specialized discipline. I not only teach Greek, I have been studying textual criticism off and on since1986, but still make blunders. So for someone who doesn't know Greek to read a book or two, then comment on an Internet forum as if they were an expert--or even to write a book on it as some KJVO folk have done--is kind of funny to me. :smilewinkgrin:
    I agree.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the good news is that regardless if one prefers the TR/MT/CT, there is still essentially the originals laid down for us, at least close enough to have confidence that one is reading from Word of the lord!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Imagine that you get 'amused" at times reading th epostings of some of us here that seem to be able to have the capability to totally redo either greek texts or translation, yet never learned greek/hebrew, bit took the word of someone in say KJVO that did!