1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How did we get the name of Jesus?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 30, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

As you may have seen in my last post; I have been ministering to Black Israelites who feel the name Jesus is of the Devil and we should call him by his hebrew name. How did we get the name of Jesus in English?

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Probably from Latin transposed in to some Anglo/saxon transliteration. Often the Latin I is replaced by the english J though the I is pronounced Y. So latin we have Iesus from Yeshua. However, You have a good point. Why Jesus and Not Joshua? Maybe the greeks pronounced Yeshua - Yehsus - which was spelled in lating Iesus. Thats just a guess cause I'm not edgumicated.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Tell them that Jesus is a transliterated form of Yeshua. I would ask them if they believe it's wrong to say "Jesus," why are they not speaking Hebrew all the time? Why is it okay to say other things in English but not the name of Jesus?

Remember you are dealing with a cult. They are programmed to think certain ways and are very entrenched in their thinking, in bondage to Satan. A lot of prayer is in order!

I would not stay on the name of Jesus issue long - it's a distraction. Read my post on p. 3 of the other thread (Jesus as God) and check out the links I gave you on the deity of Christ. I think that is what you should focus on.