1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How did you come to know Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by One of His sheep, Sep 14, 2005.

1. This is for fun, no preaching. We all have different backgrounds and have come to Jesus in a unique way. I just thought it would be interesting if everyone gave a short testimony on how Jeus reached out to them. Praise God!

A neighbor gave me a New Testament and ask me to read it. I read it and I had many questions. The next week in her kitchen she explained the Gospel to me and the seeds planted from reading the NT spoke to me. I repented of my sins and Jesus saved me.

Now it's your turn... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

When I was studying in Spain I was placed, by God I believe, with a family whose son lived in the home and was a Christian. This was not long after Franco had died and Biblical Christianity was still not well looked upon. He was considered the "black sheep" of his family. He, his friend, and a missionary witnessed to me often. I asked many questions of my American friends who were Christians and also studying with me. The seed was first planted, however, by Christians in my college in California.

3. Servent

Servent Member

For about a year I struggled with the question is there really a God, Driving back and forth to work I would read church signs, One weekend I had to work on a sat. night and at 2 o'clock in the morning it was as if a light switch was turned on, Yes Danny there is a God,at 2:05 in the morning I called my wife and told her we were going to church the next morning weve been goin ever since. That was 1998, Thank you Jesus.

[ September 14, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Servent ]

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I was introduced to Jesus by a godly mother. Came to know Him as my personal Savior in Sept 1985.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I had grown up in church, and I was told I was saved when I was four years old. By the time I was nine years old I realized that I could not remember having made the decision to follow Christ for myself....so in church, during a Vacation BIble School in the summer, I bowed my head and told Jesus that I wanted Him to be my Saviour and could He make me His child.

I did have some doubts through my teen years, some very serious doubts. Of course, my nature is an anxious one, so that could have been a factor. WHen in college I really searched and met with God, and made sure of my salvation.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I went to various churches growing up, including overseas, but my parents were not Christians (my mother was nominal, my father agnostic). I made a conscious decision around age 16 to reject Christ and in college started exploring other religions. That led later to Tibetan Buddhism, Hinduism, Zen, New Age beliefs, psychic study and experiences, contact with the dead, occult practices, and becoming a professional astrolger. I was President of the astrological society, taught astrology, and wrote for New Age magazines.

Then God intervened in an amazing way in 1990 when I was a divorced single mother. It's too long to tell what happened as it happened over a period of time, but it's here for those who would like to read it:
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_spiritualjourney.html

7. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

I too was introduced to Christ by a godly mother, however I fell by the wayside. Thankfully a relative who used to be an addict literally quicked drugs cold turkey and did not have to go to a drug rehab, as u may have guessed it was thru JESUS!! All of my life I had thought that I was a christian, I believed in Christ, read the Bible from time to time and never used the LORD'S name in vain!---Then the bottom was pulled out from under me---my beloved mother passed away, I had an injury and had to have emergency surgery that kept me out of work for 9 monthes. I went into the arears with all of my bills, including rent and was having a hard time with my landlord. Physical therapy was excremely painful and I was extremely depressed and was ashame to tell anyone all of my woes and feelings. My relative who had found Christ stuck by me and thru her I found HIM too,-- what a miracle that was ---it was 1989--and I have been with my JESUS every since!!!! There is so much more to this story, I know I must keep it short. My relative, my cousin is still drug free and is still powerfully working for the lord!!---I will end here----yours in Christ ---and Thank you JESUS for everthing----------Sheila [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Wow Marcia what a testimony, you will be able to reach many occultist and new age people with the knowledge that u have first hand.--- GOD bless you.-- [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ------Sheila [​IMG]

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, Cyberdove! I appreciate the encouragement!

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was going with a girl (not my wife) in high school and after several months of picking her up after church for a date her dad told us no more dates unless I went to church. No big deal so I went.

I had gone to the church a few times, had helped build the building working for a contractor and a couple people of the church had done things that made me wonder why these people were different.

At the door the pastor shook my hand and said he wanted to talk to me. I said, okay, some time - he wouldn't let go of my hand - how about tonight he asked - the rest is history.

Several years before I had helped with Easter sunrise services at another church. The previous easter I had seen a film and I couldn't figure out why they killed Christ. I had grown up in that church and didn't know.

When the pastor shared the gospel I knew why and all the things people had told me fell into place.

11. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I hit a semi head on on I25 just outside of Casper Wyoming I was drunk. Ihad my cruise control set at 105mph,I didn't even have a seatbelt on. Ionly spent 3 hours in the hospital. A jail preacher lead me to the Lord 4 days later.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised in part Christian/part Jewish family. Seeking and searching as a boy. Changed to Catholic, then heard the Gospel at the Baptist SS down the street. Few months later God regenerated this old sinner (and at 10 I was a veteran sinner for sure) and I knelt by my bed, repented of sin and called on Christ.

1957 seems like only yesterday and it gets sweeter every day as I get closer to heaven!

13. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a little boy, living a very hard life, I woke up from a sort of dream and knew Jesus was real and was near me. Though many years later after learning all about life the hard way from the wrong sources, in the wrong places, from the wrong people, I became very cold and from a broken heart that was scarred over I was not feeling much about anything other than anger and resentment of having to be here.

At 25 I met a women that I couldn’t seem to get rid of; I had learned that they didn’t really love you, you shouldn’t get past first names or you’ll get hurt, and if you’re mean and cold enough they’ll eventually leave, but she didn’t. Soooo after seven years and after all the hateful things I said and did to make her say she didn’t love me and leave, she wouldn’t. I wasn’t use to turning away from love, but only love turning away from me and so I married her.

Thing is, during this time I had scarred her heart and even though I was trying to change for the better, she couldn’t get over the past. Things were getting worse and miserable and just as soon as I myself was going to end the relationship, not knowing how to fix it, she became pregnant. I decided to try to stick it out but became depressed and numb. For the first six months or so after my daughter was born I showed no emotion even to my baby. But my baby girl loved me and started softening my heart. She was so happy to see me and be around me and so I had her walking at eight months, saying the alphabet and counting at 16 months and carrying on in conversation at two. (Myself, I couldn’t speak from a speech impediment until 11) she absolutely melted my heart, but still I was very unhappy in my marriage and showed severe depression.

To shorten this testimony up; I was afraid my marriage wasn’t going to make it, I saw my little girl starting to act like me, acting depressed and sad. It tore me apart and I knew I needed help and there were no psychologists, counselors or anyone that could help a person like me. I was broken, I had nowhere to turn and cried out from the bottom of my heart for God to help me and to know Him and to guide me in my life, to show me what to do. The next day I picked up the Bible and His words spoke to me; I was amazed at the reality of His wisdom, the truth in His words, the instructions for life, and over a short time the peace that came into my life. I felt like such a fool for not asking Him sooner to be the Lord of my life. I think He reached out to me from the time I was a little boy, but I needed to surrender and ask to know Him. Well, 11 years later I may still struggle to be a better husband and father, can’t change the past, and may not be the best, but God has shown me patience, brought me peace and guides me every day a little more into the depth of His love.

14. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

Well, I grew up in a Christian home, so I have always been saved (j/k) :D Actually, my growing up in a Christian home means that I knew how to be saved, but refused to do so. From the time I was in the fourth grade until I was 15, I struggled with my need for the Saviour. The fact that I did not seem to be too wicked of a kid did not help any. When I was 15, through a series of events, the Lord finally brought me to my knees. I trusted Christ in my heart on September 30, 1991.

15. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

Oh, let me add one of my favorite phrases here-

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I'd been taught about Christ by many family members, and had attended Sunday School, but after an incident of over hearing some back-biting-gossip by a couple of Sunday School / Choir Directors - I decided that everything I had been told was a lie. Some kind of fairy-tale like Cinderella or the Easter Bunny.

The pastor of a large Southern Baptist Church caught me hanging out on the playground instead of attending class and asked me to come inside. I refused and told him that all the things people said about God was just a big lie because it DID matter how people dressed, and it DID matter how much money they had and people, especially Christians, hate people who don't look and act like them.

The Pastor cried, and told me that what my family had taught me about the love of Christ was right, and that it was the behavior of the Christians I'd encountered that was wrong. He showed me God's word, the words of Christ Himself. The words of the disciples and apostles ABOUT Christ.

He taught me the difference in who God is, and who people who claim to follow God are.

A few days later, in my bedroom, I asked Christ to be my lord and Savior. I was six years old. I've never looked back.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

sorry to digress a bit, but what a wonderful pastor to take time out for a little boy who had been disillusioned!

Thats wonderful, TexasSky

18. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Little girl, but yes, he was a wonderful man of God.

He actually came out to the playground, and when he found out why I had decided I hated anything connected to God, he cried and sobbed and held me. Then took me to a wonderful Christian woman who taught a class for students older than I was and told her that I needed a Sunday teacher who knew what Christ was really about and could I be in her class?

She was an amazing woman of God who later became my third grade elementary school teacher.

His name was Dr. Prince.
    Later, Dr. Ralph Smith amazed me even more.

By the time I was 13 I was burning with questions about God's word. I wanted to know more and more, and my sunday school teachers just could not answer my questions. We didn't have NIV's and study bibles. We had ministers who knew Greek and Hebrew.

Dr. Smith would let me come to his study, and he'd get out his Hebrew and Greek bibles, his books on ancient manuscripts, and theology and spend hours and hours and hours teaching me. I did that for about 3 years before I learned my private teacher had recently retired as President of Southwestern Theological Seminary.

(For any judgemental perverts out there - yes his secretary was present the whole time.)

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

oooops.....Sorry Lady TexasSky!

Its always good to hear of pastors who really care for EVERY member.

20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Btw, I’m sure that someone had told me about Jesus so don’t get caught up on the dream, just didn’t have to say any magic prayers to know He loved me or to love Him and have Him deep down in my heart. Did have to ask Him to guide me and show me the way to live my life. Only God knows when I was truly saved.