1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How dispensational is Dallas T S?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Dallas used to be hard core historic dispensationalist, but not hyper-dispensational.

Where are they today?

Have they modified there positon to progressive dispensationalism?

2. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

My opinion, from those that I know who graduated from that school (I admit most are older) is that they ascribe to a mild dispensationalism.. They acknowledge differences but i dont think they teach salvation as being different in different dispensations. If I remember right, Ryrie said that salvation in all dispensations was by faith in a revelation, but that the content of revelation in different dispensations was different.

Meaning..saved by faith in all cases even though being asked to believe on different things at different times or in different dispensations.

Hyper Dispensationalist have a different Body for Peter and Paul.. in some cases. I think Stam was Hyper Dispensationalist as well as Coombs.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine attended DTS and is not far off from much of Baptist theology. He told me that many of the professors hardly believe most of what the old timers believed.

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Do you still have to be pre-trib to graduate?

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I had several classes and a reading group time with Dr. Jeff Bingham who is the chair of the theological studies department at DTS. He is a progressive dispensationalist. He described the school as such.

I know several other faculty members and they are all progressive dispensationalists. I'm not, but have great respect for the DTS faculty and school itself. DTS is, imho, the hottest seminary out there right now

6. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Based on....?

7. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

explain "progressive revelation" to me. been too long since I left school.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

So can a person be a post-trib progressive dispensationalist at DTS?

10. JohnB

JohnB New Member

From what I understand (having lived in the area and knowing a good number of DTS students and grads) DTS used to be the bedrock of classical, by the Scofield Bible, dispensationalism under Chafer, Walvoord, et al.

Now, I would not even say that disp. is a DTS distinctive. Still the best seminary in my opinion though. (2d would be Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 3rd would be any of the SBC sems.)

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hey! I went to TEDS!

I think TEDS would have to be #1 because it didn't have to deal with DTS's Chafer history.

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I think their web site still advocates dispensationalism as a distinctive which HAS to knock them down to #2!

13. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Paul33,

Dispensationalism is why they are #1 ;)

My brother went to TEDS. That's a great E Free sem.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

TEDS allows dispensationalists, covenantalists, or anything in between to study, learn, graduate!

That's why they are no. 1!

[​IMG]

15. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Good point!

My Dad was a "Scofield dispensationalist",though he went to Faith Sem. in Phillie back in 1951, and he was not entirely happy that my brother chose TEDS.

16. greek geek

greek geek New Member

I am currently attending DTS - working on a ThM in Academic OT.

The school is definately dispensational. That teaching does come through in classes - but it is not hammered into the students like it used to be in the old days. To be a student you don't have to agree with dispensationalism, all you have to agree to are 7 points which are foundational for Christianity (and again affirm them before you can graduate) and then agree not to cause a stink about dispensationalism being taught (well that's not how the worded the last part on the application - that's just my translation.) However, to teach there you, of course, have to ascribe to the full doctrinal statement.

I love the seminary but I would not call myself a dispensationalist, and I have not had any problems with professors over that issue. (I tend to lean that way in my understanding, but not 100%) From my experience, professors are open to discussing, very fairly, their view and the opposing views.

17. greek geek

greek geek New Member

As a quick addition - I would just like to add that even though it is not a Baptist seminary - I often feel like it is because I am surrounded by so many (both professors and students.)

Surely that many Baptists can't be wrong?

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Several profesors at SWBTS have graduated from DTS.

19. UZThD

UZThD New Member

One does not have to be a dispensationalist to grad from DTS.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And is it Baptist?