1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do Calvinists respond when someone asks....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by William C, Jun 5, 2003.

1. TheTravelingMinstrel

God does provide for us to sin less then we do, but *never* on this earth will we be sinless, and yet, we are commanded to be sinless.
    It is not unjust, expecially by the standard of a HOLY GOD.

2. William C

William C New Member

You just don't get it.

He demands for us to be HOLY and then he provided the means through faith in His Son to be Holy. He commands it and then He provided the means by which this can be accomplished. Therefore, my point stands. God NEVER demands that which he doesn't provide the means to accomplish.

3. TheTravelingMinstrel

nope, we can't be holy on this earth, we can strive to be holy, and thru Christ we can become less sinful, but we will never be holy.

Do you have any concept of what holiness is?

4. William C

William C New Member

We attain righteousness by being clothed in the righteousness of Christ through faith. No, righteousness is not attainable on our own, just as I have stated from the beginning, but it is attainable through faith in Christ. God demands it and then He provides the means by which it can be attained.

Why is that so difficult for you to grasp? :confused:

5. TheTravelingMinstrel

"Be holy, for I am holy"

We are commanded, by God, to be as holy as God is. This is His standard and it will not change on the account of our inability.
    True, we become acceptable in God's sight thru Jesus Christ and thru the holy spirit we can become less sinful, but God has commanded us to live holy and perfect lives on this earth, this is something we can only strive for, but we cannot achieve it.

So back to the point....
    Where is scripture does it say that God enables *everyone* to come to Christ?

6. William C

William C New Member

This question assumes that men today are unable to come to Christ in the first place.

It's like asking how often do you get drunk. It assumes something is true that may not be true. Its a trick question.

(I hope that is a more appropriate illustration. [​IMG] )

[ June 17, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Brother Bill ]

7. Felix

Felix Member

A very important point could be made here as of where does our saving faith (repentance) come from? We know all man have some kind of faith. But is everyone equipped with saving faith in Christ or is it God's gift only to the elect?

Acts 5:31 "Him did God exalt with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins." If the ability of repentance is within us by birth, why does God have to still give it to Israel?

Acts 16:14 "And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple of the city of Thyatira, one that worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened to give heed unto the things which were spoken by Paul."
    Just what kind of 'heart-opening' does the apostle have in mind? I believe it is evident!!

Gracefully yours

Pardi