1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do Catholics obey Jesus concerning Matthew 23:9?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Moriah, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Moriah

Moriah New Member

They sure were not Stephen’s fathers. The Jews did not call their leaders ‘father’. So why else do you think Stephen said ‘fathers’?
    I am not speaking of biological children.
    Targus,
    Since you do not think that I know the truth, teach me how to obey. Tell me how you and all Catholics obey Jesus in the command call no man ‘father’.
    I told you how I obey; now you tell me how you do.

I have answered all your questions, so why will you not answer mine?

2. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

The Lord Jesus Christ forbade the use of "father" as a religious title (Matthew 23:9-10). Bible titles for church leaders are pastor, bishop, and elder-not father.

The word "father" is also used for those who lead someone to salvation in Christ (1 Timothy 1:2; 2 Timothy 1:2; Titus 1:4)

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Paul was not infallible; Jesus was and is. Paul admitted that he was giving his opinion about some things -- as when he said "I say, and not the Lord..."

Therefore, I will go by what Jesus said since I worship Him and not Paul.

4. Catalyst

Catalyst New Member

Paul was speaking spiritually too, he was not married, therefore all those churches were not filled with his kids.

Baptist churches shouldn't allow Paul to be read to their congregations, and he should be redacted from Acts too. Paul taught something that is Roman Catholic. The only question is, how did ROME go back 350 years to corrupt Paul so?

5. Catalyst

Catalyst New Member

So, opinions are something that can be right or wrong. Everyone has one, no one wants another. You know the joke.

So if opinions can be wrong, then either Paul's opinions are right, or they are wrong.

They are considered canonical opinions.

My question to you is, are they right or wrong opinions.

If they are right opinions and the canon has no errors in it, then your answer is meaningless.

If He's wrong, then the bible isn't inerrant.

My goodness. what a dilemma! :)

6. Catalyst

Catalyst New Member

HTML:

I never thought of using the second set of verses before, excellent.

How do you get the term "religious title" factored into the matthew verse? It's not in the text or the context. Do you put it that way because it's the only thing that makes sense? or do you have some way you exegete that out of there? Serious question. I'm not picking, I'm asking.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I will try my best not to sound like a basher. I am someone who has had their eyes opened up and wants to reveal these wonderful things to you and others, so that you can know them too. I speak about God and Jesus out of love.

Calling your earthly father ‘father’ is not a sin. Jesus is speaking of Spiritual things.

Paul was a father as one being a teacher to God’s children. Paul NEVER tells anyone to call him ‘father’, and the Bible has no account of anyone calling Paul ‘father’, or Paul would probably be corrected in this, as would the others who call him ‘father’. I believe Paul would have been corrected as Paul corrected Peter when he stepped out of line with the truth.

If I teach you anything in the truth, I may be as a father, but that in no way would cause me to get away with having you call me father, and vice verse.

That is not obeying. To call a brother 'father' and not mean to say God the Father is not obeying. Jesus says call no man father that we are brothers in Christ. Catholics call their brothers in Christ father, and that is against the Word of God.

When I say they sin and go against God, that is not so bad if they repent. So, please do not take it as bad, unless there is no repenting from it.

The word ‘pope’ means ‘father’. It is no longer a justifiable argument, whether he just meant it as the leader or not. It is a sin for the spiritual brother, even though he is a leader, to call himself ‘father’. Even Peter was called ‘brother.’

Again, the Catholic Church became apostate when they left the way that Jesus taught.

The word pope means ‘father’, Jesus says not to call each other father.
    The pope takes the seat of most importance; Jesus taught his disciples not to do that.
    The popes wore extravagant robes and hats; Jesus speaks against that. The popes are bowed to and have their feet kissed; the Bible commands us not to do that.

God does not even know you unless you obey Him, see 1 Corinthians 8:3.

I am not Baptist; though, I have been to a Baptist Church. I do think they believe the Bible is their authority, even though I believe they have false doctrines, they believe the Bible is the final authority. As for things passed down for generations, we are not to have traditions of men. They are worthless, they even nullify the word of God. That is what the Bible says.
    I hope you can stay in the group and debate. I will contact you soon if you are banned.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I don't believe in the inerrancy of scripture -- at least as that is usually understood. Only God is inerrant.

Besides, as I said, even Paul himself distinguished between his opinions and the commands of God.

Further, as I also said, I will go by what Jesus said since He is my Lord and Savior and my example to follow.

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Paul never tells anyone to call him ‘father.’ Nowhere in the scriptures will you find that. Nowhere in the scriptures do you read that anyone called Paul ‘father.’
    If I am a teacher in a school teaching algebra to a bunch of students, and they are being taught algebra for the first time, and I tell the class I am their father in Math, does that mean anyone is told to call me ‘father’? NO.

10. targus

targus New Member

This sounds like something that you are making up as you go.

Worse... Paul called himself their "father".

So he is putting himself as a man above them by your interpretation.

Or will you now tell me that "no man" does not apply to Paul because he wasn't a "man"?

How should I know?

You are asking about Catholic practices on a Baptist Board where there are few if any Catholics since Catholics are not allowed to join.

Like I said - sounds like gossip to me...

But now I am beginning to think that your motives are even less noble than mere gossip.

11. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Look at verse 8. Is the word "Rabbi" not a "religious" title? I believe that humility is the context and "religious titles" are also very much part of the context. Religious titles tend to "puff up" rather than humble a person.

Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Matthew 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

I like this commentary by Albert Barnes on Matthew 23:8-9:

12. Moriah

Moriah New Member

How does it sound like I am making it up? It is the truth. Paul, as a person who got the message before others, in this he was like a father for being before the others.

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Show the scripture where Paul says, “Call me father.” Show the scriptures where anyone calls Paul “Father.” Please give those scriptures now or stop saying Paul did what he did not do.
    Are you Catholic? You stand up for the Catholics. Therefore, if you are not a Catholic, and you want to stand up for them, at least find out how they obey Jesus in call no one father.
    I have said Catholics should be allowed to debate here. So why act as if it is my fault that they are not allowed? By the way, there are Catholics here. They could answer the question how they obey, if they did obey.

That is a sin to think evil of me. I have not done anything except try to get others to see the Truth.

I was once a Catholic; it was my family’s life. I was in another false religion after that. Even after I was saved, the speaking in tongues crowd was trying to lead me astray, as was the Calvinist crowd. I wish there were no false doctrines. I am thankful for the people that spoke up to me about what they believed are false doctrines. I could have been angry and rude in return to those who spoke to me. I mean really now, what business was it to them what I believed? I could have thought they were nosey and jealous. I am glad I did not react to them that way though. Have a heart that wants to know God’s Truth. Have a kinder heart that is willing to listen to others.

14. targus

targus New Member

"...in this he was like a father for being before the others."

Show me where this has ever been used as an analogy for "father" before.

You are just making it up.

15. targus

targus New Member

I didn't say that he told anyone to call him father.

He called himself father - and in the spiritual sense too.

So he was calling a man "father" - unless you are now going to say that Paul is not a man.

16. targus

targus New Member

So you as a former Catholic want to ask Baptists what Catholics believe and why they believe as such? :laugh:

I feel as though I have just entered the Twilight Zone.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I am not asking Baptists.

18. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Find the scripture where Paul says call me ‘father’. Find that scripture or stop saying Paul went against Jesus’ teachings.
    Find the scripture where anyone calls Paul ‘father’. Find that scripture or stop saying Paul went against Jesus’ teachings.

19. Catalyst

Catalyst New Member

Ok, I see how you got there. Rather obvious once you see it. I'm gonna have to check this out more, but I think at a glance I lean to 8 and 10 are educational titles. But there was no educational title among the jews that was called father. So, now we have both teacher vss as similar but father as seperate. What jewish role was called father. Christ was called master, wasn't he?

Anyway, thanks for the brain worm. I don't agree yet, but I won't make a call til I dig in. That's fair, isn't it?

20. targus

targus New Member

Paul is calling himself "father in Christ".

Paul is a man.

Paul is calling a man (himself) "father".

Why is that so hard to comprehend?