1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do christians usually get wives?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

AMEN PAUL! :D

Ed, I know how but the why still gets me at times :tonofbricks:;)

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are better off remaining single than marrying a unbeliever.

Many times marriage evangelism does not work though, as we have seen in this thread, it does work sometimes. I would argue however that those "sometimes" are the exception and not the rule. Read 1Corinthians 7 and just follow what Paul says there. Walk with the Lord, obey Him, follow Him, stay in His will, and He will take care of all of your needs and desires. Do I have Scripture for this? Certainly (see Psalm 37:1-11, Matthew 6:25-34, Matthew 7:7-11, Luke 11:5-13, James 1:5-7, 1John 5:14-15, and a very important verse is: Philippians 4:4-9).

Personally I am single and I attend a church that has NO single women in my age range (late 20s early 30s). Some have told me that I should change churches, even change communities, but I have rejected that. Why? Well first I would not make any move like that unless I believed it was what the Lord wanted me to do. I love my church and community and would not leave unless I was forced to. Second changing circumstances will not speed up the hand of God. Therefore there is no need to try and rush God or His plan. Keep in mind what happened to Abraham when he listened to his wife and thought he could rush God or help God out (Gen 16). Third anyone who is spending all of their time searching for a spouse is not following Scriptural advice (1Cor 7:25-28) and has their focus on the wrong things. The result is that they may very well miss what God is trying to do in their lives and that includes the person God desires them to marry. So it always pays to do things God's way.

I like what Charles Stanley says: "Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him".

#22 Martin, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't think anyone would say that waiting on the Lord is doing nothing. Get busy serving God in whatever way He has gifted you. You will meet people and you might go out with some but don't make that the focus of your life. Keep your eyes open (etc) but keep your focus on the Lord and what He wants you to do (Phil 4:4-9).

I know that such advice is easier to give than to follow but, I assure you, it works!

==Just think about how Abraham must have felt at his age with no children? Living alone is tough there is no doubt about it. And I am not trying to sugar coat anything. What I am saying is focus on your walk with the Lord and leave the rest to Him. That is easier said than done and it takes a lot of time to learn that but, at the end of the day, it is well worth it. I can't promise you that you will meet someone and get married but I can promise you that serving the Lord is never a waste of time.

Btw...I have known people, men and women, who have married at all sorts of ages.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Thanks everybody for your replies.
    So I guess there is nothing which one can do.
    I mean it's also not the case that I'm looking. I don't even think that I'm suitable for a relationship. Maybe I wouldn't even like it. But sometimes I have dreams in which I have a girlfriend and she likes me and the strange thing is that even in this dream I'm amazed and ask myself why does she like me and then I wake up and feel lonely. :confused:

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, of course BBob has to be different. I don't believe that scripture means what most think it does. If you don't marry into adultery then it is in the Lord. For this cause shall a man leave father and mother and shall cleave to his wife, and they twain shall become as one flesh.
    I don't know how you could get married that was not in the Lord unless you married into adultery. So, I say if you find yourself a wife you love (husbands love your wives as Christ loved the Church) and she is not in adultery God Bless you.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So do I. I found mine in a classroom study hall in 10th grade. The teacher/babysitter is one of my dad's lifelong friends. He tried to keep us from talking but to no avail.