1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do I do that?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Winman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

The point is, Paul and Silas in verse 32 spake unto them the word of the Lord. It doesn't matter how long it took or how short the sermon was. it was needful and it was sufficient. Now concerning the thief on the cross. He read the superscription over Christ's head that said THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS and the Holy Ghost pierced his heart and he believed. Now you prove that he didn't.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what you said, previously

How much knowledge did the Philippian jailer and his family receive in less than an hour? This while during the aftermath of an earthquake, while binding Paul's wounds, and while preparing a meal? I doubt the requirements you listed were met. In the Calvinist's schema of salvation God must regenerate the heart so that a person can be enabled to believe. The God I believe in can do that in a minute, a second, if He desires to do so. You're saying that man needs to get educated first--you know, DO something to effect his own salvation. Truly ironic, coming from a Calvinist. But then, that theology is rife with contradictions.

Again, it doesn't seem likely that the thief met your educational requirements for salvation from glancing at a sign above Christ's head.

You want me to prove that someone didn't do something? Sorry, but proving negatives is not my burden. You need to prove the thief gained the knowledge that you stated must occur before someone can be saved.

You'd be better off just saying that the thief was elected from before the foundation of the world, God is sovereign, and the whole process is a mystery. You know, the classic fall back position of Calvinists when they've lost an argument.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That there is rich :thumbs:

4. salzer mtn

It is doubtful that a prison guard working in a cell dungeon would have ever heard of who this man Jesus was. So if this be so, how could the jailer believe on a savior in whom he had no knowledge of in light of Rom 10:14 ? People take it for granite that the Jailor was talking about spiritual salvation when he sprang in and ask the question but, could he not have been talking about being saved from a be-headment because he thought the prisoners had escaped ? And then Paul used the opportunity to give him an answer of spiritual salvation. In verse 25 it tells us that Paul and Silas prayed and sang songs so, it is possible that the jailor was awakened of his condition at this time. God is able at an instant to reveal himself to man by a word spoken in season (but most in this case have already heard of Jesus) while others must hear a lifetime of preaching before they are converted. You have twisted what I posted previously to make it sound like that a man has to have some long drawn out education before he can be saved.

#44 salzer mtn, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  5. salzer mtn

It seems that some don't believe Rom 1:16 that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation, but maybe there gospel does not contain the true gospel of Christ so therefore they have no gospel at all. If they believed Rom 1:16 and 1 Cor 1:21 they would believe faith has an object, and that object is Christ. If I was in a burning building and a man told me to jump, he would catch me. will I trust him, could I trust him unless I was sure he was strong enough to catch me. You cannot expect a person to believe on Christ for eternal life unless that person knows something about him. Most spontaneous believers that have heard nothing, only last a short time anyway. They are stony ground hearers.

#45 salzer mtn, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh brother, a lame attempt to try to argue this unregenerated man was not seeking God and true salvation. When it comes to scripture or Calvinism, the Calvinist will always choose Calvinism over scripture!

This jailer probably knew exactly why Paul and Silas had been thrown in his jail. We are told that a young woman possessed with a spirit of divination had followed Paul and certain others about, shouting, "These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation".

Finally, after many days of this, Paul became annoyed and grieved with her and cast the spirit out. Her masters who made much money from her were very upset and went to the authorities, and a multitude of men were gathered against Paul and Silas. Paul and Silas were dragged through the streets and beaten.

This would have been "front page news" so to speak, so surely the jailer had heard of Paul preaching the gospel, though he probably had not heard Paul in person and did not fully understand what Paul was preaching.

But one thing he seems to have understood, that Paul was preaching forgiveness of sins, and this man desired to know how he could be saved.

I agree that there are certain things you must know to be saved, but it does not take a great deal of time. Most folks are quite aware they have sinned. And most people are not atheists and believe in God. The gospel is that Jesus is the Son of the true God, who was made flesh, lived under the law without sin, and died for our sins on the cross. After three days he was raised from the dead, and if we place our trust in him, our sins will be forgiven.

As for the thief on the cross, most likely both men had heard of Jesus and were somewhat familiar with him. They were Jews and knew the promise of the Christ or Messiah. The thief who was saved seems to have realized that Jesus was the Christ all of Israel looked for, and cast himself on Jesus's mercy, asking only to be remembered when he came into his kingdom. He received more than that.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's highly unlikely that a Roman guard would ask a couple of Jews what he should do to avoid the carrying out of a Roman law. A more likely scenario is that the jailer was in fear for his life because of the earthquake, knew Paul and Silas were in jail for preaching about Jesus and eternal life, and went to them with a spiritual question. Besides, once he saw that Paul and Silas were still in the prison he's not in danger of beheading so why would he ask them how to be saved from something that wasn't going to befall him?

When you say "awakened of his condition" are you meaning that God had regenerated him?

No, that's how you made it sound. Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully.

8. salzer mtn

Winman you and Light are possessed with trying to disprove Calvinism. If someone like me that believes in Gods Sovereign grace post anything, right then your answer is, spoken like a true Calvinist. Please let John rest in peace. You say most people are quite aware they have sinned. I say most people have been told they are a sinner and to them being a sinner is no more than making some mistakes during their life. To truly have the understanding you are a sinner is to know you have offended God in every thing you do, say and think and also know you are an offence to God period. You say most people are not Atheist but believe in God. I say, most people have a God of their imagination so they are Atheist to the true God. And no they don't believe in God or else they would already be saved.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Give me a break, I am responding to you INSERTING CALVINISM into scripture. You try to make the lame argument that the Philipian jailer was only concerned about his physical life because he feared prisoners had escaped, when the answer of Paul and Silas clearly shows they understood he was concerned about his eternal soul.

As a Calvinist, you cannot accept that an unregenerated person can seek God. Too bad, because that is exactly what scripture is showing here. And the Philipian jailer is not the only example in scripture, or even in the book of Acts. Cornelius was not saved, and he did not have the Holy Spirit, yet he was a devout man who feared God, prayed always, and did many truly good righteous works that God recognized.

All these scriptures refute Calvinism and you KNOW it. So, you must explain them away.

I could never be a Calvinist, I would not hold to any doctrine so clearly refuted by scripture.

But you are the one who brought this up by inserting your false doctrine into scripture where it does not belong.

And you are right, I hate false doctrine, and that is why I fight against it.

10. salzer mtn

Thanks Light for putting the beheadment to rest. You can read in the post I mentioned it in that I was asking a question. Yes, it is possible at this time he was regenerated and then when he believed he was converted.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's What I do EVERY time!

I share with the person in question, my testimony. It is so common to other, that it shows that person how I struggled, and finally came to Jesus. Once finished, the person always seems to connect, and we pray for them to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior!

It is my opinion that our testimony will help the inquiring person to connect, and our testimony is the greatest way to help another see how to come to Him!

I know others have great ideas, so like I say, regarding my way, "It works for me!" However, when it comes to you, do what you feel most comfortable with, and always begin and end your attempt to lead a sinner to Jesus with a K.I.S.S. [Keep It Simple Stupid]. Shalom!