1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do I encourage a good spirit with my brothers and sisters in Christ? (long)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by doodlebug, Oct 9, 2005.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

Our church has been through a lot lately, and is still struggling with several issues. Some of our members are just obsessed with what is going on, they can't stop thinking about it, they can't stop being upset...etc. I went to a meeting with some women the other night and mentioned an idea I had. Our church has strayed away from a lot of things over the years like missions, community outreach, etc. Most of all, we don't pray much anymore. When we do have a prayer meeting, only a handful of the "regulars" show up. So, I suggested that our women's group come to church on Weds. nights 30 minutes earlier to pray at the altar. Just the mere mention of this sparked a very long conversation about the problems in our church. Some of these women are just disgusted at the way our leaders and other men of the church are acting. One man has been continually making offensive remarks to women (mostly widows) in business meetings. He has never once been rebuked in love. We have a woman who stole money from an account, lied to the church, and has never been disciplined. There is much more, but the bottom line is that I need to find a way to encourage my sisters (and brothers) in Christ to a more positive and good spirit. We are dragging each other down with all the negative whining! Are there any group type activities that will build a more positive spirit? One idea was a bulletin board in which we ask our members to make a note on a little paper leaf what they are thankful for. What about a warm fuzzy board for our women? They can post their encouraging words, or something like that for each other. How do we get the men encouraged??

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Doodlebug,

I can think of a dozen well tested secular team building activities - but I don't recommend them for your church at this time.

What your church needs is what you originally suggested. Come together in prayer.

God told us to love our enemies and to pray for the people that hurt us. At one point in my life I had such a hurt and anger at someone that the mere thought of the person brought feelings of frustrated rage to me. I could NOT seem to get past it, now matter how much I wanted to. I begged and begged God to take the anger away. He didn't.

Then, I woke up, and decided to APPLY God's word. I prayed for the person. Not in a "God make this right," way, but in a "God, bless this person. Bring them joy, and happiness."

And... the more I prayed for God to bless them, the less anger I had.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

TexasSky, [​IMG]

doodlebug, Might I suggest a churchwide Bible study in Phil 4:8-9. It is impossible to do things God's way and man's way at the same time. If you are making an active effort to think on and do these things you cannot help but have the peace of God.

4. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

There are a lot of Scriptural ways to get through this, but the people have to submit themselves to participating. Certainly, prayer is at the top of the list. Make a list of everything you have to be thankful for in the church. Share how the Lord is working in your lives.

There are negative things happening in every church in the world. The wise Christian recognizes that not everyone in the church is a Christian and lives a life that is holy and pleasing to the Lord.

If people won't get together to pray. . . I would have a hard time believing they are saved. The church is to be a house of prayer above all things.

5. doodlebug

doodlebug New Member

Thanks for your wonderful, helpful words of wisdom. I truly believe the Lord is weeding out the tares from our congregation, but it's not quick enough for some. I can't think of a better way to change our attitudes than to become humble and get down on our knees and pray! I am getting more involved in outreach, and other ministries, and it seems I have less time to be discouraged. I just wish I could help others who are so burdened for our church. Thank you again for your help.